News: Tulsa HC Talks Penalties, Portal & More On T. Smith

ESisback

Reaction score
I’m not worried ab Tyler Smith’s penalties..

Not every flag is the same. CWilliams was being flagged bc of holding and being over powered by opponents. Basically, it was a penalty of desperation

The difference: Smith was being flagged for “holding” bc he was too aggressive and driving opponents into the ground. There’s a big distinction between the two. One can be coached up and avoided, the other can’t. It seems folks can’t see the difference and over reacting like true Cowboys fans. Go Cowboys
Exactamundo, said The Fonz!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
915 snaps and 12 penalties. That's not bad actually.

All the good blocks get forgotten by a few bad ones. But, of course, those few bad ones can change the course of the game, so it's understandable. We just don't need to ignore what the player can do the other 90 percent of the time.

Reaction score
That's a pretty good point.

I wonder how many were actually a penalty vs it being called that way because he blew the guy up.

That shouldn't happen in the NFL at guard.

Hopefully being inside at guard will help limit the holding calls... and maybe by some freak accident the OL coaching will make him better :laugh:

gimmesix

Reaction score
Im more worried about his technique getting him beat than penalties

Like Williams, it appears his tendency is to grab instead of just let his guy beat him. So if someone gets him wrong-footed, expect an arm around the throat.

gimmesix

Reaction score
"Nah, I think he'll be fine in that regard," Montgomery said of the penalties. "I will say this, and I'm a little biased so I'm going to throw this part in there ... Tyler plays so physical that at times, he got some penalties called against him that weren't penalties. (The refs) saw somebody on the ground and they were like, "well, something must have happened so I just threw a flag there.' He was that dominant and that physical of a guy."

We feel your pain since we've seen that plenty of times when Tyron Smith just buried an end. Welcome to Dallas, Tyler; you can expect more of the same here.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery is biased, and doesn't try to hide it.

Watching one of his best players from last season get drafted in the first round by the Cowboys was a great moment for him personally, along with the school, which produced its first first-round pick in 37 years.

So when the narrative on Tyler Smith pivots from being drafted in the first round to the excessive holding penalties he endured last year, Montgomery is quick to defend his player. In fact, the head coach said Smith's brute strength is what leads to many of those penalties.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...oq_FZw4F3vL_H2J1sfqPPBRnWBBbQmwhKuCuu2uiurCPk
Totally disagree. Here is why...

Watch the highlight reel tape. Just in the first 8 plays showing Tyler Smith "blocking", he literally is holding. Instead of keeping his hands and arms inside, he reaches around and latches his hands like vice grips around the shoulder pads of his opponent while wrestling him down. He will get flagged every time in the NFL if he continues with this type of terrible technique.

Strength has nothing to do with it. It's simply holding. Joe Philbin needs to work with him relentlessly and make him get used to blocking correctly. If not, there are going to be lots of flags thrown Tyler's way, and that is what killed our Offense so many times in so many games last year.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Not every flag is the same. CWilliams was being flagged bc of holding and being over powered by opponents. Basically, it was a penalty of desperation

The difference: Smith was being flagged for “holding” bc he was too aggressive and driving opponents into the ground. There’s a big distinction between the two. One can be coached up and avoided, the other can’t. It seems folks can’t see the difference and over reacting like true Cowboys fans. Go Cowboys
:laugh::laugh:

Haimerej

Reaction score
Totally disagree. Here is why...

Watch the highlight reel tape. Just in the first 8 plays showing Tyler Smith "blocking", he literally is holding. Instead of keeping his hands and arms inside, he reaches around and latches his hands like vice grips around the shoulder pads of his opponent while wrestling him down. He will get flagged every time in the NFL if he continues with this type of terrible technique.

Strength has nothing to do with it. It's simply holding. Joe Philbin needs to work with him relentlessly and make him get used to blocking correctly. If not, there are going to be lots of flags thrown Tyler's way, and that is what killed our Offense so many times in so many games last year.

About time we see the same things.

It really is bad and for all the talk about how he's stronger than Conner, who supposedly held because he was too weak- Conner benched 26 reps at the combine and Tyler did 25 at his pro day. I haven't seen anything showing me he has the great strength people keep bringing up. I guess there are moments he overcomes his poor technique with strength but that’s not happening in the NFL.

Tyler's three games against ranked opponents were awful. He got 7 of his 12 holding penalties in those games and easily could have had more called. As another poster pointed out, he was literally grabbing the back of guys jerseys while being in front of them.

Sure, guys can be coached but if it's his comfort zone to go wide with his hands and hug, he's got a lot of work ahead of him.

DanA

Reaction score
You've also got to factor in his age and that Tulsa doesn't have Alabama type resources. He'll improve faster at the Cowboys

NotForLong

Reaction score

:hammer:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
About time we see the same things.

It really is bad and for all the talk about how he's stronger than Conner, who supposedly held because he was too weak- Conner benched 26 reps at the combine and Tyler did 25 at his pro day. I haven't seen anything showing me he has the great strength people keep bringing up. I guess there are moments he overcomes his poor technique with strength but that’s not happening in the NFL.

Tyler's three games against ranked opponents were awful. He got 7 of his 12 holding penalties in those games and easily could have had more called. As another poster pointed out, he was literally grabbing the back of guys jerseys while being in front of them.

Sure, guys can be coached but if it's his comfort zone to go wide with his hands and hug, he's got a lot of work ahead of him.
Jeremiah, I believe many fans are going to get a rude awakening when Tyler Smith has to go against good pro DTs and LBs. I simply don't see Joe Philbin as being able to teach Tyler how to keep his hands and arms inside. It's not easy. It requires lots of proper teaching, lots of time, practice, getting after the player while motivating them, a lot of patience and lots of live game experience. They need to give him as much playing time during preseason as possible.

I truly believe there are going to be lots of penalties committed before he gets better. I hope everyone is ready for that.

Last edited:

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Sometimes physically bigger guys visually overwhelm their opponents and that can lead to game officials calling fouls and penalties on the bigger guys. That is quite common in HS and college sports. But not so much in the NFL. In the NFL it will be all about what Tyler S does and his techniques rather than his appearance. He will not be that much bigger than the rest of the O and D linemen. Good coaching and Tyler listening and learning will fix his penalty problems.