News: Tulsa HC Talks Penalties, Portal & More On T. Smith

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. His former coach likes him. Shocking. Now, how about the story on how he ended up at a small school and why didn't transfer to a better program. Transfer portal was wide open last year.

LittleD

Reaction score
Totally disagree. Here is why...

Watch the highlight reel tape. Just in the first 8 plays showing Tyler Smith "blocking", he literally is holding. Instead of keeping his hands and arms inside, he reaches around and latches his hands like vice grips around the shoulder pads of his opponent while wrestling him down. He will get flagged every time in the NFL if he continues with this type of terrible technique.

Strength has nothing to do with it. It's simply holding. Joe Philbin needs to work with him relentlessly and make him get used to blocking correctly. If not, there are going to be lots of flags thrown Tyler's way, and that is what killed our Offense so many times in so many games last year.

Philbin will work those bad traits out of him real fast. He will get schooled on how the Packers hold every down without getting flagged. Just watch Packer's games from several years ago and you will see the art of holding.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Philbin will work those bad traits out of him real fast. He will get schooled on how the Packers hold every down without getting flagged. Just watch Packer's games from several years ago and you will see the art of holding.

Yeah, last year Philibin was super effective teaching techniques that prevented penalties. That's why the OL was so good last year. :facepalm:

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Ok. His former coach likes him. Shocking. Now, how about the story on how he ended up at a small school and why didn't transfer to a better program. Transfer portal was wide open last year.
Not every player at non-Power 5 schools are looking to dunk into the TP. Some like where they are at; some like the coaches; some have friends and girl friends where they are currently; some like being the "big man on campus" thing of being the best athlete at the school. I bet that if Tyler S had ducked into the TP every program (big and small) would have had a place for him if he had interest in coming their way.

terra

Reaction score
Are you really comparing Smith with Williams? . So weak
Smith actually had 16 total penalties with 12 of them being holds and almost half of them came in the three games where they played quality teams.
Put down the jones Kool Aid.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
William's problem was that he just wasn't a guard. He was not big enough or strong enough to handle the big nasties he faced each week. Big, strong guards don't have to hold.

It took us 4 seasons to figure that out?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I'm sure the kid that played against basically zero NFL level talent and was a penalty machine won't need to commit penalties against real NFL level talent every week.

He probably raked up his penalties out of pure boredom from complete domination.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not every player at non-Power 5 schools are looking to dunk into the TP. Some like where they are at; some like the coaches; some have friends and girl friends where they are currently; some like being the "big man on campus" thing of being the best athlete at the school. I bet that if Tyler S had ducked into the TP every program (big and small) would have had a place for him if he had interest in coming their way.

I'm sure he would have been a hot commodity and then we would have tape of him going against top tier pass rushers like Hutchison and Karlaftis. Its a done deal now, but the smarter team picking behind us chose the more impactful OLman. The pick should have have been Linderbaum. This OL play has fallen off a cliff since Freddie retired. Linderbaum is that tier of center. Biadez is NFL average for his position at best.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, last year Philibin was super effective teaching techniques that prevented penalties. That's why the OL was so good last year. :facepalm:

BS, player has a responsibility, a coach can do only so much, Players are paid big money to go out and get the job done. Steele and undrafted tackle has done well under Philbin. Unless you believe that a players failure falls to the coach and not the player himself.

Creeper

Reaction score
I sounds to me like the coach is making excuses for failing to correct his player's mistakes. Arguing that the refs got it wrong when the kid was penalized 16 times is just silly.

Just watch the kid play a few games and you can see he has a problem with his hands. He has a tendency to get his arms outside the shoulders and then hug or wrestle his opponent to the ground. I am shocked he wasn't called even more. In the NFL they will call all of that. Connor Williams got called for everything once they had his number. In the NFL, facing DTs, Tyler Smith is not going to be able to throw defenders to the ground by grabbing them by the shoulder pads. He must learn to block correctly.

LittleD

Reaction score
It took us 4 seasons to figure that out?

Old regime drafted him. His body type was really fit for RT not guard. The main reason Cowboys underperform is coaching. Great coach's with the exception of Quinn won't come to work for Jerry. Parcells
might have been successful but, Jerry backtracked on his promise not to interfere with him. Sad, but the Cowboys FO will never learn and thus will languish in mediocrity.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Old regime drafted him. His body type was really fit for RT not guard. The main reason Cowboys underperform is coaching. Great coach's with the exception of Quinn won't come to work for Jerry. Parcells
might have been successful but, Jerry backtracked on his promise not to interfere with him. Sad, but the Cowboys FO will never learn and thus will languish in mediocrity.

Well, that and poor drafting. Football outsiders has us ranked as the 4th worst drafting team from 2010-2019. We fail not only from poor coaching but from paper thin, top heavy rosters. Once we sustain a few injuries the next man up is usually someone that wouldn't be able to make another NFL roster.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Totally disagree. Here is why...

Watch the highlight reel tape. Just in the first 8 plays showing Tyler Smith "blocking", he literally is holding. Instead of keeping his hands and arms inside, he reaches around and latches his hands like vice grips around the shoulder pads of his opponent while wrestling him down. He will get flagged every time in the NFL if he continues with this type of terrible technique.

Strength has nothing to do with it. It's simply holding. Joe Philbin needs to work with him relentlessly and make him get used to blocking correctly. If not, there are going to be lots of flags thrown Tyler's way, and that is what killed our Offense so many times in so many games last year.

Why would no one at Tulsa try to correct that?

Also would you say that he needs to get the technique in place during mini camp so he can use camp to learn to play that way.....this in order to be able to start early?

On one hand his problems should decrease by playing inside, but everybody is much faster so the tendency to grab may not go away so easily when there's guys who can beat him.

He will be an interesting watch during camp, and I hope McGovern doesnt just curl up in the corner and quit. Go out there and keep Smith on the bench.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regarding penalties, players and coaching, who fixes that? The coaches went as far as benching the better LG to get his attention and even that didn't work. Some act like they just ignored what was happening. Do we think there is anything more frustrating to coaches than repetitive penalties?

That drove Landry to cussing with Pozderac and helped Parcells decide to retire. You could see it in his face on the sideline.

There is one element to this that we must not overlook. Williams is gone because of penalties and his replacement has that rep. Where do we think the emphasis is going to be with the player and his coaches? What's everyone going to be focusing on?

I do not see any comparison with Williams and Smith. Williams was a project from the beginning, get bigger and stronger. Smith is already bigger stronger and comes with a nasty attitude and the point of impact is already improved.

Be honest, if Williams hadn't been a Horn, most of you wouldn't have celebrated that pick. A Horn and wanted to be a Cowboy, two boxes checked for some. I don't care where a player is from, and I got only the 2nd Hog picked in this draft, I want a guy that wants to be a NFL player and make lots of money.

I believe the Cowboys got that with their 1st. In fact, I will predict that he will do so well at LG, they will want to keep him there and do something else at LT when Big Smitty retires. Unless they have to kick him out when Big Smitty is sidelined. And that could be premature and impede his progress.

tunahelper

Reaction score
12 holding 16 penalties in total. Most penalized player in the entire country on any team anywhere playing college football. Thats like 10s of thousands of kids lol.

This is very concerning to me. Hopefully playing guard will shield his holding. Also the fact he won't be pushed around like a rag doll will help alleviate some of the holding calls as well.

Overall, if he is stronger and plays better technique while improving the ground game we will benefit. A lot of question marks for a 1st round pick that will play guard in the NFL.