CFZ Turpin and Washington in the Slot with Dak Could Be a Deadly Combo

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
You spend a three on Tolbert and he’s in moth balls you have Turpins speed wasted and just like that Cooper Rush slings it into double coverage on 4th and 1 . From your own side of the field . Washington hasn’t played a down in a Cowboy uniform can’t worry about him . Tolbert . What’s the point get some more weapons involved .
Let Turpin run a go route and he’ll get safety help every play.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
  • Getting Closer: After watching Washington run routes for Dak on Sunday before the game, sure seems the veteran wide receiver is about ready to come off injured reserve and jump back into practice. Washington suffered a fractured fifth metatarsal on his left foot at the end of August, placed on IR Aug. 29, the fracture surgically repaired by inserting a screw to facilitate healing. He has missed the required four games and now is eight weeks removed from the injury. Says he's close. Says, "It's all in Britt's hands," referring to Cowboys director of rehab Britt Brown, who will be responsible for releasing him into practice. "I feel great." Cowboys sure can use his deep speed on the outside.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mick-shots-dak-s-back-loss-stings-lions-roar

coult44

Reaction score
So I was replying about Turpin the other day, and truth be told it's really all about scheme.

You can't really see Cooper Rush doing a whole lot with Kevante Turpin, because of the limitations of his arm, and the fact that nowadays, defensive backs are bigger, taller and faster than ever, on the whole.

But I can see Turpin and Dak actually being a pretty deadly duo with Turpin. But go back to watch the tape on Turpin last game. Right now, Noah Brown is sort of the utility guy, and I like the other possibilities with Brown in terms of line ups, but he's injured this week. With a guy like Turpin, you have to have an arm, and I think Dak has a better understanding of what players do after the catch, and that's where Turpin would be deadly.

Anyway, I think you simply play Turpin on 20% - 25 percent of your offensive plays, and try to work James Washington in this game. When you consider we should be running 2 TE sets, at least half of the time, (That makes us less predictable)Turpin's playing in the slot maybe 30-35% of each game. That way, it's not so obvious we're going to him if he's sort of a regular player anyway.

Additionally, as some have also said, we should play from under center, almost always with the Eagles. That way, the defense doesn't know whether it's a pass or a run.

Shotgun is more effective late in the game when you're down, and teams know you're passing, because it gives you space, so you theoretically make better decisions. This is how you get Turpin the ball, you have your QB under center and him in the slot.. not in shotgun.

And get those two tight ends involved. I like our trio of Hendershot, Ferguson, and McKeon better than Schultz all day.

McKeon even had him some action in the Eagles game. Was just too little too late. But I love me some tight ends, too.

As pissed as DQ and the defense is, The Lions will be lucky to score 10 points.

fansince68

Reaction score
So I was replying about Turpin the other day, and truth be told it's really all about scheme.

You can't really see Cooper Rush doing a whole lot with Kevante Turpin, because of the limitations of his arm, and the fact that nowadays, defensive backs are bigger, taller and faster than ever, on the whole.

But I can see Turpin and Dak actually being a pretty deadly duo with Turpin. But go back to watch the tape on Turpin last game. Right now, Noah Brown is sort of the utility guy, and I like the other possibilities with Brown in terms of line ups, but he's injured this week. With a guy like Turpin, you have to have an arm, and I think Dak has a better understanding of what players do after the catch, and that's where Turpin would be deadly.

Anyway, I think you simply play Turpin on 20% - 25 percent of your offensive plays, and try to work James Washington in this game. When you consider we should be running 2 TE sets, at least half of the time, (That makes us less predictable)Turpin's playing in the slot maybe 30-35% of each game. That way, it's not so obvious we're going to him if he's sort of a regular player anyway.

Additionally, as some have also said, we should play from under center, almost always with the Eagles. That way, the defense doesn't know whether it's a pass or a run.

Shotgun is more effective late in the game when you're down, and teams know you're passing, because it gives you space, so you theoretically make better decisions. This is how you get Turpin the ball, you have your QB under center and him in the slot.. not in shotgun.

And get those two tight ends involved. I like our trio of Hendershot, Ferguson, and McKeon better than Schultz all day.

McKeon even had him some action in the Eagles game. Was just too little too late. But I love me some tight ends, too.
So, in this "scheme" if Dak audibles to a RUN who does 154 lb Turpin block? I do like your idea though. Turpin in motion would be more effective though. This could give clue to if it's man or zone coverage, if Dak can read it. The middle zone behind the linebackers was open all night vs Philly. Turpin Time could have feasted. Too quick to be covered or caught from behind. Very unimaginative OC we have.

exciter

Reaction score

Turpin would have to be something more than a gimmick player. He would have to have at minimum a basic ability to run routes. He was a below average WR in college. There’s a reason he was playing in purgatory in summer leagues since he left college in 2018. As discussed in previous threads, Washington doesn’t have the lateral quickness to effectively play slot. That has been definitively proven by his time in Pittsburgh!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Turpin would have to be something more than a gimmick player. He would have to have at minimum a basic ability to run routes. He was a below average WR in college. There’s a reason he was playing in purgatory in summer leagues since he left college in 2018. As discussed in previous threads, Washington doesn’t have the lateral quickness to effectively play slot. That has been definitively proven by his time in Pittsburgh!
If Turpin's already active, why can't he be used as a gimmick player? They used Lucky Whitehead in that way and Turpin looks like the more talented player. The reason he never got an nfl shot in the nfl in 2018 was a two-time dv issue that he plead guilty to in college where TCU kicked him out.

exciter

Reaction score
If Turpin's already active, why can't he be used as a gimmick player? They used Lucky Whitehead in that way and Turpin looks like the more talented player. The reason he never got an nfl shot in the nfl in 2018 was a two-time dv issue that he plead guilty to in college where TCU kicked him out.
Uh yeah, those 2 jet sweeps that everyone knew was coming were really effective. Lucky also showed at least some propensity for effectively running routes, something Turpin hasn’t shown going back to college. Tyreek Hill had almost the same DV charges and was still a 5th round pick… because he showed

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Long way to go in this season. He did not play a lot in pre season outside of return, he had 3 catches in pre season for 20 yards.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
- Pure speculation with Turpin and Washington as “ reliable ‘ slot guys.
I haven’t seen anything from Turpin as a receiver- either preseason or reg season to suggest he can be a ‘reliable’ slot guy.
The current vibe I am getting is the coaches view Turpin as purely a returner.

- I heard McCarthy make mention when asked about Turpin as a possible deep threat, per press release and length.
So I got the impression that they are not interested (or confidence?) in him as vertical threat.

- James Washington was counted on to be a Cedrick Wilson type with deceptive-sneaky vertical speed and run after catch ability.
A pre-draft Cowboys interest, they've always liked him. But remains to be seen if he can bring it big and contribute.
i think they will return him to see what happens - and find a way to kick Simi Fehoko to the next year's pet project again.

- I don’t get the feel that we are gonna get anything with Simi Fehoko.
That seems to be again next year’s pet project (and it’s need to practice squad after that)

- But I wished we really had even an occasional speedy spot role ,over the top threat and more overall speed in this WR unit.

I think Fehoko is close to being ready, if not ready right now.

He has the speed we need.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So, in this "scheme" if Dak audibles to a RUN who does 154 lb Turpin block? I do like your idea though. Turpin in motion would be more effective though. This could give clue to if it's man or zone coverage, if Dak can read it. The middle zone behind the linebackers was open all night vs Philly. Turpin Time could have feasted. Too quick to be covered or caught from behind. Very unimaginative OC we have.

Funny you say that. Because I've been shouting for more pre-snap motions as loudly as I'm able, especially in away games. But they don't do it because of noise, is my theory.

And I don't think it really falls on the OC. Because I know they are going with about 60 plays from the playbook each game in order to simplify their gameplan.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
darren sproles….

Sproles was 190, not 150....

I'd bet Turpin is closer to 145 than he is 153....

I'm not suggesting playing this guy all game. I'm saying that making him a more regular part of the offense would help the offense as a whole, because it'd be less predictable that we were rolling with Turpin. You do that by simply increasing his snap count.

On the other hand, it's like someone said, though, who does Turpin block? Because he's not blocking any NFL defender. So it's about balance, and creativity.

jay94

Reaction score
Turpin has done absolutely nothing, counting on him for anything at this point is a pipe dream.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You spend a three on Tolbert and he’s in moth balls you have Turpins speed wasted and just like that Cooper Rush slings it into double coverage on 4th and 1 . From your own side of the field . Washington hasn’t played a down in a Cowboy uniform can’t worry about him . Tolbert . What’s the point get some more weapons involved .

Have you ever smelled mothballs?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Have you ever smelled mothballs?

Well maybe hibernation may have been a more apt description . Tolbert give the kid some targets and against maybe one of the worst defenses in the NFL Integrate Turpjn into the O .

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Washington. Wish that we would have waited rather than give a 2nd rate backup a place on the team. This is what happens when we go bargain hunting. We pay cheap for cheap.

I would cut my losses and go after DJ Moore. Washington isn't going to cut it as far as getting to the Superbowl is concerned.
The guy hasn't played one down for us, but he can't cut it? Sounds like you boil water before you put it in a pot.
:lmao:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The guy hasn't played one down for us, but he can't cut it? Sounds like you boil water before you put it in a pot.
:lmao:

No Im judging him as nothing more than a backup until proven otherwise. How many times we go bargain hunting and getting nothing more than what we pay for?

Washington is not a speedster. He doesn't stretch the defense. His a possession receiver just like Ceedee Lamb, Tolbert, Gallup, Noah Brown, etc. The Niners traded for McCaffrey. The Eagles went and got AJ Brown. What we got was a cheap backup to compensate for the lost of Cooper.