CFZ Turpin and Washington in the Slot with Dak Could Be a Deadly Combo

Phil413Cowboy

Reaction score
So I was replying about Turpin the other day, and truth be told it's really all about scheme.

You can't really see Cooper Rush doing a whole lot with Kevante Turpin, because of the limitations of his arm, and the fact that nowadays, defensive backs are bigger, taller and faster than ever, on the whole.

But I can see Turpin and Dak actually being a pretty deadly duo with Turpin. But go back to watch the tape on Turpin last game. Right now, Noah Brown is sort of the utility guy, and I like the other possibilities with Brown in terms of line ups, but he's injured this week. With a guy like Turpin, you have to have an arm, and I think Dak has a better understanding of what players do after the catch, and that's where Turpin would be deadly.

Anyway, I think you simply play Turpin on 20% - 25 percent of your offensive plays, and try to work James Washington in this game. When you consider we should be running 2 TE sets, at least half of the time, (That makes us less predictable)Turpin's playing in the slot maybe 30-35% of each game. That way, it's not so obvious we're going to him if he's sort of a regular player anyway.

Additionally, as some have also said, we should play from under center, almost always with the Eagles. That way, the defense doesn't know whether it's a pass or a run.

Shotgun is more effective late in the game when you're down, and teams know you're passing, because it gives you space, so you theoretically make better decisions. This is how you get Turpin the ball, you have your QB under center and him in the slot.. not in shotgun.

And get those two tight ends involved. I like our trio of Hendershot, Ferguson, and McKeon better than Schultz all day.

McKeon even had him some action in the Eagles game. Was just too little too late. But I love me some tight ends, too.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong. He seems to be a strong receiver that isn't afraid to go down the middle. But I think we need more speed on the outside. Washington isn't it. But hoping I'm wrong.

Here comes the fascination with 'speed'. You play the Receiving Corp to suit the QB and having Schultz back is a greater benefit to our passing game.

Would you scheme your Defense in worry about Dak finding a deep threat....no, you scheme for Dak hitting a receiver that has the physicality to pick up a less ambitious throw (Gallup/Shultz and Washington).

Stretching the Defense isnt a viable consideration to opening the field. DC's arent going to worry about the long ball and would probably scheme to tempt Dak to throw long (especially as over the last couple of years Dak's had a tendency to underthrowing and Turpin not being the biggest is a pick-off dream).

We need route runners over speed, that and a continued decent running game is going to give the necessary space in the secondary.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Perhaps the question is: can Turpin run routes and catch as well as Beasley did?

Beasley skills with Turpin speed? I'd love to see that.

It may just be the eye, though to me, hitting the slant pattern out of the slot is one of Dak's issues, with ball's frequently thrown behind the receiver....that's why we run so many curls.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Here comes the fascination with 'speed'. You play the Receiving Corp to suit the QB and having Schultz back is a greater benefit to our passing game.

Would you scheme your Defense in worry about Dak finding a deep threat....no, you scheme for Dak hitting a receiver that has the physicality to pick up a less ambitious throw (Gallup/Shultz and Washington).

Stretching the Defense isnt a viable consideration to opening the field. DC's arent going to worry about the long ball and would probably scheme to tempt Dak to throw long (especially as over the last couple of years Dak's had a tendency to underthrowing and Turpin not being the biggest is a pick-off dream).

We need route runners over speed, that and a continued decent running game is going to give the necessary space in the secondary.

The only thing I agree with you is that we need more route runners over speed. Our route runners are decent with average speed. None of them can stretch the field or command constant double teaming. This was what Cooper had. Good speed with excellent route running is what we need. As you can see our offense is struggling because of it.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The only thing I agree with you is that we need more route runners over speed. Our route runners are decent with average speed. None of them can stretch the field or command constant double teaming. This was what Cooper had. Good speed with excellent route running is what we need. As you can see our offense is struggling because of it.
I doubt that speed is going to command double teaming with Dak at QB. DC's aren't able to cover all eventualities and I think they'd love Dak to throw long.
Coop wasn't particularly quick, and his separation was never really down the field, it was due to his sharp route usually on a timing pattern.
Our Offense isn't necessarily struggling because of speed.... this season it's because of lack of accuracy (both Dak and Rush).

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I doubt that speed is going to command double teaming with Dak at QB. DC's aren't able to cover all eventualities and I think they'd love Dak to throw long.
Coop wasn't particularly quick, and his separation was never really down the field, it was due to his sharp route usually on a timing pattern.
Our Offense isn't necessarily struggling because of speed.... this season it's because of lack of accuracy (both Dak and Rush).

We are struggling because our receivers aren't getting open. Thus the reason why Dak and Rush are having to throw into tight coverage. Coop is please quick. Precise route running is more on quickness rather than speed. And Coop is also pretty speedy was pretty speedy as well. Dak was never that accurate. But because aren't getting open Dak is forced to be more accurate. Thus we are missing Coop more than people think. No one is fearing our receivers as they did last year.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
No Im judging him as nothing more than a backup until proven otherwise. How many times we go bargain hunting and getting nothing more than what we pay for?

Washington is not a speedster. He doesn't stretch the defense. His a possession receiver just like Ceedee Lamb, Tolbert, Gallup, Noah Brown, etc. The Niners traded for McCaffrey. The Eagles went and got AJ Brown. What we got was a cheap backup to compensate for the lost of Cooper.
You've clearly never seen Washington. His strength is getting deep. It's why Pittsburgh had a tough time getting him the ball the last couple of years. Their qb could no longer get the ball deep accurately.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I don't understand why Wonderboy don't use Turbin more? You get him on crossing routes or screens this guy will kill our opponents. But expecting Moore to figure it out? I might as well expect me to coach them:facepalm: