Turpin: "I don't care because I'm not fair catching nothing. I'm being real with you — nothing."

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It would be dumb of him to fair catch it outside of the end zone. If he’s averaging 24 yards a return and a fair catch at the (let’s say) the 10 yard line puts us at the 25 then he is actually forfeiting 9 yards.

Such a dumb rule, I hate it
I think the concern is that this incentives teams to focus more on shorter, higher kicks in an attempt to either pin teams deep or force a fair catch. Right now teams can and will do this but a return is guaranteed. In previous years the only way to force a touchback was to kick it deep or out of the endzone.

With that said he probably wouldn't be forfeiting 9 yards on returns as most returns will be for significantly fewer yards (in theory), making kickoffs a more meaningless play and moves the needle closer to just eliminating the play overall.

rojan

Reaction score
I think the concern is that this incentives teams to focus more on shorter, higher kicks in an attempt to either pin teams deep or force a fair catch. Right now teams can and will do this but a return is guaranteed. In previous years the only way to force a touchback was to kick it deep or out of the endzone.

With that said he probably wouldn't be forfeiting 9 yards on returns as most returns will be for significantly fewer yards (in theory), making kickoffs a more meaningless play and moves the needle closer to just eliminating the play overall.
Good take, I didn’t think of the sky kick

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
he averaged 24.19 last season.imo we are better off fair catching it every time if they keep the new rule.
Not if he was only running the ones that did not land in the endzone. If his average starting point was say the 5 yard line, then we averaged his returns staring at our 29.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Not if he was only running the ones that did not land in the endzone. If his average starting point was say the 5 yard line, then we averaged his returns staring at our 29.
Not 100% sure of the stat you're citing but I don't believe that is how it is calculated. It is based on the final result of the play. You can't just add 24.19 yards onto any random yard line and say he would average 24 more yards from that spot.

Aven8

Reaction score
Returners lost big money with this new rule change.

A lot of ST coaches are going to instruct their return men just to fair catch it as the default. No chance of penalty or turnover.
Ridiculous rules. Keep the game the same. They don’t even practice in pads anymore for crying out loud…..

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I love Turpin's confidence but he's going to cost the Cowboys a ton of field position if he starts getting tackled inside the 20 or the 10 instead of fair catching the ball.

The time is drawing close to having kick returns completely gone and every team starts at the 25 to start non-turnover possessions.

coult44

Reaction score

Turpin "I don't care because I'm not fair catching nothing. I'm being real with you — nothing."​

You might not get a chance to fair catch anything because you may not be on the team

Turpin "I don't care because I'm not fair catching nothing. I'm being real with you — nothing."​

You might not get a chance to fair catch anything because you may not be on the team!
You gotta start paying attention to the coaches and FO. They love him, he’s not going anywhere!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
he averaged 24.19 last season.imo we are better off fair catching it every time if they keep the new rule.
Yeah, but what yard line was he fear catching it up. That’s what matters they were short punts. The defense was on in quick.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He needs to learn when and when not to return a KO. He returned at least two or three last season where he should’ve just taken a knee. He didn’t get back to the 20 on any of them.
Exactly!

Flamma

Reaction score
If they don't allow the pooch kicks that need to be fair caught, there's no reason to fair catch any regular style kicks that are short of the goal line. Start off catching and running them all, but if the return team sucks, can't block and gets penalties on most kicks, that's when the coach will tell him to start fair catching them, especially in crunch time of games when we can't afford a penalty to set us back inside the ten.
They're trying to eliminate a certain type of kickoff. The kicks where the kicker puts the ball higher and has it drop inside the 10. Since those kicks are higher, the kicking team is down there faster, and the return team quite often don't get to the 25. Sometimes not even the 20.

That's what I think this rule is targeting.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well I would rather he fair catch a punt than fumble it or be at risk of fumbling it, so if you got guys barreling down on ya and you are not sure you will have sufficient time to fully catch it then you fair catch it
I agree with you. You have to be smart on punts. But I had to laugh when I read the beginning of your post. It reminded me of a baseball joke. If you're going to ground into a double play, strike out instead.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Even before this new rule we made terrible decisions on returns. I did a study 2 years ago and nothing has changed. Penalties killed us every time.