Turpin making a case at WR

starfan1

Reaction score
Another Tavon Austin? Moore won’t know how to use him or he’ll be hurt or both

dudes got speed though

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I’d like to see him turn into a legitimate deep threat for us.

I don’t think it will happen. Players at his sizes succeeding in the NFL are incredibly rare. But I wish him the best.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I don't see it especially when everyone is healthy. He's not sniffing more than Tolbert, Gallup or Lamb....probably add Washington to that as well. Then there's Schultz at tight end. And its far fetched but I honestly see Pollard getting more looks in the receiving game.
One or two touches per game would be my guess and even if just that it can add a dimension to the team that helps if he can show some explosion and quickness and I have a feeling he can. Then you fake the jet sweep and it opens up other things.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I also hope Turpin has turned around his personal life and is a less violent human now.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
We just have another Lucky Whitehead

That’s not a knock. Whitehead was a good player here

I pray he's better than Whitehead. Honestly, with the way the game has gone to nothing but passing, 1 catch per month is going to be worth a roster spot for long. The team has returners in Pollard and Lamb, there's no need to carry a guy to do less in those respective areas in order to gain 4 rushing attempts and 1 catch per month.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
I’d like to see him turn into a legitimate deep threat for us.

I don’t think it will happen. Players at his sizes succeeding in the NFL are incredibly rare. But I wish him the best.

Rare? Most teams have a player like that on their team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
perfect for tunnel screens, rocket screens, smoke routes, Jet sweeps, also showing to be a deep threat.
do we have a poor mans Tyreek Hill?

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/turpin-shocks-bolts-in-scrimmage-it-s-what-i-do
Having watched Turpin in college I think he can be the 3rd Rb and slot back type here as well as getting more time split out in wide sets.
You don't want him getting more than say 5 backfield carries a game but those he could handle and stress the defense versus his speed.
And you can use him on all the aforementioned stuff as well.
Lotsa ways to use guys with elite quickness and speed.

But he is gonna have to be in the gym 24x7 for a couple years to reach Tyreek status.
His size means he is a sub in and then back out type guy.
Like earlier career Cole Beasley. Beat people off quickness, get first downs and get out of game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Having watched Turpin in college I think he can be the 3rd Rb and slot back type here as well as getting more time split out in wide sets.
You don't want him getting more than say 5 backfield carries a game but those he could handle and stress the defense versus his speed.
And you can use him on all the aforementioned stuff as well.
Lotsa ways to use guys with elite quickness and speed.

But he is gonna have to be in the gym 24x7 for a couple years to reach Tyreek status.
His size means he is a sub in and then back out type guy.
Like earlier career Cole Beasley. Beat people off quickness, get first downs and get out of game.

I agree. His main role will be as a return man but I think he bring speed to the table that the Cowboys can utilize

fivetwos

Reaction score
This guy is too small.
That was what I was thinking when I saw the Denver game, but tough to say if it's a real problem in today's NFL.

He is probably worth the risk to get a big play guy out of nowhere. I just hope he doesn't have a fumble problem, and knows better than to try to make too much happen when it's not there.

Fumbled punts will tend to lose you football games.

I don't know much about this guy's story, but since it appears as if he has a good shot to make the team, I suppose I'll take a look.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So IMO and some others, it all depends on how kellen uses him.
My doubt lies with kellen more than turpin.

If the chiefs had got turpin, you would probably see a hill type result, but with dallas and kellen ?? who knows, just have to wait and see.
That 1st ps game it seemed to me they just wanted to see if he could catch the punts lol, and catch a pass, 2 targets, one he caught, and other was too high.

And that brings up another issue, for dak, throwing to a guy that short, is going to be harder, so can dak get the ball down where he can catch it.

If he has to reach up or jump for every pass, that could get him hurt and cause some tipped up balls.
So better hope dak can throw to a short player.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm glad we got this guy. It forces Moore to be creative. We've been wanting Moore to be creative with Pollard to no avail. But now, with Turpin, he must show us he deserves to be mentioned among the best.
Lost in the bash-zeke heat...is Moore misuse/nonuse of very talented Tony Pollard.

Zeke can still get his carries...and Tony can still be more active and deadly. We're lucky to have both.