T'Vondre Sweat

Gambit

Reaction score
many teams fall in love with athletes who are not top players
How many times do you hear someone called a physical freak but they turn out to be not all that great a PLAYER
Some folks are traits people some are production people. I think a balanced mix in the room is probably the smartest way to approach it.

Seems the way the Cowboys are set up is traits first and highly leaned in.

This year I hope they put more value on production, especially at DT and LB positions

1942willys

Reaction score
Some folks are traits people some are production people. I think a balanced mix in the room is probably the smartest way to approach it.

This year I hope they put more value on production, especially at DT and LB positions
You do need balance; for example some peoples production in college came against JAGs and others against the best.
That is where traits are important to figure out
Just going with one OR the other is not good

cnuball21

Reaction score

1st round you want both + high level competition.

Minimize risk as much as possible in round 1.

J-man

Reaction score
Sweat would most likely need to be picked at 24 since he won't make it to 56.

That would be two consecutive 1st round picks, their most valuable teambuilding asset, especially since they refuse to participate in premium free agency, spent on the 1Tech position.

Typically, the 1Tech position accounts for 60% of the available defensive snaps. So you'd be spending back-to-back 1st round picks on a guy who will play about 30%.
not saying otherwise, but non of what you said has any thing to do with my statement

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
not saying otherwise, but non of what you said has any thing to do with my statement
Sure it is, you are saying Mazi Smith (the player) isn't keeping anyone from drafting Sweat.

My argument is that the recent investment in the position Mazi plays would keep them from drafting Sweat in the 1st.

Keep in mind that the Jones are very sensitive to criticism (frauds usually are) and they are very slow to admit mistakes. Drafting Sweat at 24 would be admitting Mazi was a mistake.

J-man

Reaction score
Sure it is, you are saying Mazi Smith (the player) isn't keeping anyone from drafting Sweat.

My argument is that the recent investment in the position Mazi plays would keep them from drafting Sweat in the 1st.

Keep in mind that the Jones are very sensitive to criticism (frauds usually are) and they are very slow to admit mistakes. Drafting Sweat at 24 would be admitting Mazi was a mistake.
I completely understand what you're saying and I don't disagree. But that's your point, not mine. The only thing I said in my post is that Mazi isn't nearly the caliber player of Sweat, period. Being taken in Rd 1 or not has nothing to do with it. If the Jones don't see that or are too embarrassed to draft him because they already drafted Mazi, that's another issue altogether, which is your point.

But there are many who don't believe Sweat goes in Rd1, so if he's still available in Rd2 and they pass him for no other reason than they drafted Mazi in Rd 1 the year prior, than they are inept and/or stupid, which is the point I believe you're trying to make. And again, I don't disagree with that. I just wasn't going that deep in my comment. LOL:)

neosapien23

Reaction score
I would not mind drafting Sweat in the 1st round but he does have to lose some weight. It was a little concerning that he didn't let them weigh him at the senior bowl. He needs to get his weight down to 350lbs at the combine and maybe down to 340 before the season starts. He was very dominant at Texas at times but gassed out very easily and had to be rotated out. I dream of having Mazi put the weight back on this offseason and having an in shape Sweat lined up next to him. It would be very similar to the giants when they had Hankins at 3T and Harrison at 1T and no one could run on them not even a prime Elliot with that dominant Oline.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I would not mind drafting Sweat in the 1st round but he does have to lose some weight. It was a little concerning that he didn't let them weigh him at the senior bowl. He needs to get his weight down to 350lbs at the combine and maybe down to 340 before the season starts. He was very dominant at Texas at times but gassed out very easily and had to be rotated out. I dream of having Mazi put the weight back on this offseason and having an in shape Sweat lined up next to him. It would be very similar to the giants when they had Hankins at 3T and Harrison at 1T and no one could run on them not even a prime Elliot with that dominant Oline.
Yep, I would have him drop 20-30 lbs; he’d still be in the 330 lb range after that.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I have a hard time using a premium pick on a player that’ll likely be a rotational player due to conditioning.

2nd round maybe…

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He's your classic Wilfork-ian NT. And I agree that Sweat looks a billion times better than Mazi.

It was fun to watch his Alabama tape. Bama called a lot of inside zone, and Sweat was just continually blowing up the middle, so he was forcing the RB to decel and bend his run every time. Perfect example of how NTs change plays without big counting stats.

Sweat's a good pass rusher too, again in that Wilfork type bull-rush the middle mold. Not a big sack guy, but he got pressures and TFLs, so that gives me confidence that he can get off blocks.

I think Sweat's a first rounder easy... hulking NTs who can still make plays are a rare breed. I think Sweat looks a lot like Dexter Lawrence personally. I'd discount Sweat a bit vs Lawrence because he didn't have multiple years of great tape, but Mazi was drafted at #27 with 0 years of great tape, so I think Sweat goes somewhere in between the two.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
He's your classic Wilfork-ian NT. And I agree that Sweat looks a billion times better than Mazi.

It was fun to watch his Alabama tape. Bama called a lot of inside zone, and Sweat was just continually blowing up the middle, so he was forcing the RB to decel and bend his run every time. Perfect example of how NTs change plays without big counting stats.

Sweat's a good pass rusher too, again in that Wilfork type bull-rush the middle mold. Not a big sack guy, but he got pressures and TFLs, so that gives me confidence that he can get off blocks.

I think Sweat's a first rounder easy... hulking NTs who can still make plays are a rare breed. I think Sweat looks a lot like Dexter Lawrence personally. I'd discount Sweat a bit vs Lawrence because he didn't have multiple years of great tape, but Mazi was drafted at #27 with 0 years of great tape, so I think Sweat goes somewhere in between the two.
Spot on just concerned about his weight and conditioning. I wonder if his snap count is available compared to other DTs?

A little concerning he decided not to weigh in at the senior bowl…dude has to be close to 370.

Gambit

Reaction score
McKinley Jackson is a player to keep eyes on too. Could see him as a target

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys would be making a Randy Moss type of mistake if NT T'Vondre Sweat is available when the Cowboys pick at #24 but pass him up.

Don't try to be cute and stupid by trading down into the late 1st round for an extra 4th round pick with the hopes T'Vondre Sweat will still be available. He won't!

1942willys

Reaction score
WE MUST HAVE at least ONE player with a SPARE TIRE on this team!

We have not won a SB without one before!

Sydla

Reaction score

The best part will be when Sweat is there at 56 and we pass.

LOL.

Hardline

Reaction score
T'Vondre Sweat earns recognition as a Top Performer at the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Sweat is the only IDL that was Top 5 in pass rush win rate and run stop rate among draft eligible interior defensive linemen.

Source.. Longhorn Nation Facebook page.

Gambit

Reaction score
A little concerning he decided not to weigh in at the senior bowl…dude has to be close to 370.
This is concerning for me too.
Dude can clearly play, but does he love it, does he want to be great?

cnuball21

Reaction score
This is concerning for me too.
Dude can clearly play, but does he love it, does he want to be great?
In his defense he played over 500 snaps this past year which is nuts…more than his teammate Murphy and like 100 more than Jalen Carter the year prior.