Twin TE Formation (the 3-4 of offense?)

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
I don't remember Jones saying anything about Fasano playing lead blocker or hback. He simply said we'd start two tight ends. And Witten would be implemented more in the passing game because of it.

If one TE is stationary (Witten) and the other is not, than it only stands to reason that Fasano is going to be a lead blocker from time to time.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Clearly he will do SOME lead blocking, but people are making him out to be be an hback, and no one said we drafted him as such.

Hell even Campbell did some lead blocking when he was still here.

Eddie

Reaction score
I've been playing some NFL 2k5 using the 2 TE sets with the Cowboys.

Honestly, it's not as effective as having a lead blocker.

Or perhaps the RB needs to be more patient to determine which hole will open up.

With a FB, just follow the lead blocker as he clears a hole for you.

I'm not sold on the 2 TE set. I'd rather have a Moose back there. The reason we've been so enemic with the 2 RB set isn't because of the formation, it's because of the lousy FB's we've had since Moose left.

BP's demand for "do it all" FB's hurts the cause as well. I'd rather have a bull dozer than a do-it-aller.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Eddie said:

Holy smoke! What are we gonna do? Jerry's done screwed up now!

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Eddie said:

Please tell me youre kidding or drunk.

Eddie

Reaction score
Doomsday said:
Please tell me youre kidding or drunk.

No way, man. NFL 2k5 is still the best game out there. Just waiting for the new roster updates and I'll be ready to go for the upcoming season.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Eddie said:
No way, man. NFL 2k5 is still the best game out there. Just waiting for the new roster updates and I'll be ready to go for the upcoming season.
Quick, send a copy to Bill. It might teach him a thing or two about football.

Eddie

Reaction score
theogt said:
Quick, send a copy to Bill. It might teach him a thing or two about football.

I think they did have a Bill Parcells football back in the 90's for the PC. It wasn't very good.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Ace tight is a formation that traditionally gives defenses and DC(s) fits. It is as balance of a formation you can run. Usually offensive strengths give ‘tip offs’ coupled with down and distances. In a ace tight formation the defense dam near have to play a goal line type defense and go big but with our big play potential on the outside with TO and Glenn will lend themselves to be easily exploited. Also, if they go nickel against ace tight our running game should be able to exploit it.

When you potentially take away one of the defensive keys it makes their pre-snap that much harder because now they are mostly relying on down and distance with little help from tendencies. Of course this is all predicated on how fast Fasano acclimates himself to the pro game. I am loving this move because it has the makings of making us pretty balanced and dangerous on offense.

Eddie

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Ace tight is a formation that traditionally gives defenses and DC(s) fits. It is as balance of a formation you can run. Usually offensive strengths give ‘tip offs’ coupled with down and distances. In a ace tight formation the defense dam near have to play a goal line type defense and go big but with our big play potential on the outside with TO and Glenn will lend themselves to be easily exploited. Also, if they go nickel against ace tight our running game should be able to exploit it.

When you potentially take away one of the defensive keys it makes their pre-snap that much harder because now they are mostly relying on down and distance with little help from tendencies. Of course this is all predicated on how fast Fasano acclimates himself to the pro game. I am loving this move because it has the makings of making us pretty balanced and dangerous on offense.

The success of the Ace formation in the running game is the ability for the OL to open up holes by themselves. No FB to lead block and open up a secondary hole.

So the RB needs to hit the right one. I think it's good we have a mobile pulling OG in Kosier, as he may act as the lead pulling blocker on outside plays. Not sure Rivera is as mobile.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Eddie said:

Or perhaps the RB needs to be more patient to determine which hole will open up.

I'm not sold on the 2 TE set. I'd rather have a Moose back there. The reason we've been so enemic with the 2 RB set isn't because of the formation, it's because of the lousy FB's we've had since Moose left.

BP's demand for "do it all" FB's hurts the cause as well. I'd rather have a bull dozer than a do-it-aller.

Running the ball from a two tight end set could be very hard on defenses though, having a cutback runner like JJ allows him to find the hole and hopefully, unlike last year, explode right through it. The defense though, could just key on Julius, but that is where the play-action comes in. This offense moves Polite off the roster and a better player in Fasano onto it.

Eddie, having a FB who can just block, and use up a roster spot aren't around anymore. Sure they could play special teams, but we have 4 TE's and a DE (Spears) who could do all of the short-yardage blocking.

NFL 2K5<Madden 2007 ;)

hogwild

Reaction score
Let me be the first to say i don't believe it will be nearly as effective
as most of you. The OL still has to be better than average...and i don't
see that we have improved over last yr. Flo coming off injury...LA gone
...Some guy who couldn't even start on other teams.(Kosier)... Fabini...
i don't see the upgrade. I think they are blowing smoke and ya'll are eatin'
it up.....JMO

stilltheguru

Reaction score
hogwild said:
it up.....JMO

kosier was starting for detroit.fabini not a upgrade over pettiti?WOWWWWWWW.

and you are underestimating how important flo coming back is.before he went down who was the highest rated nfc passer?i rest my case.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Eddie said:

And as we all know NFL 2k5 is the epitome of determining actual execution in the NFL.

Sorry but this has to be one of the stupidest justifications ive seen.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Eddie said:

Oh Gawd.

I guess that seals the deal.

hogwild

Reaction score
stilltheguru said:
kosier was starting for detroit.fabini not a upgrade over pettiti?WOWWWWWWW.

and you are underestimating how important flo coming back is.before he went down who was the highest rated nfc passer?i rest my case.
Kosier is not an upgrade. ... no i'm not convinced Fabini will win the job
over Petitti, he is at the end of his career, not much left IMO

Flo is coming off a major injury to a vital joint on a 360lb man... It may
take alittle bit longer for him to get back too his old half-azs ways...He
never has lived up to his enormous potential. But you probably already
have him in the Hall.

Finally if Kosier was so good why was he available:D

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
hogwild said:
it up.....JMO

While I'm not ecstatic about Kosier, he has started for SF (when they were decent) and Detroit. When I did my statistical study of all starting O-Linemen in the league, Kosier finished 16th for LG's and Larry Allen finished 20th. My problem with Allen is that he became incredibly one dimensional last year and D-Linemen started to shoot gaps from different angles and he couldn't get a hold of them anymore. He was awful in his backside blocking. It also didn't help that he doesn't really fit the Parcells blocking scheme which prefers having mobile O-Linemen who can get out in space and pull. To Kosier's credit, I think he at least fits the scheme better than Allen does at this point.

Fabini only started partially last year, so I couldn't really use my stats on him.

However, in 2004 he finished as the 2nd best LT according to my stats, behind Walter Jones. He was pretty average in pass blocking, but he led the league in run blocking.

Now, I don't believe my stat analysis of O-Linemen is completely concrete, but I think it gives a decent ballpark figure of how O-Linemen are doing.

It's not a question of if a healthy Fabini is an upgrade over Big Rob, it's by how much.

Rich........

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
While I'm not ecstatic about Kosier, he has started for SF (when they were decent) and Detroit. When I did my statistical study of all starting O-Linemen in the league, Kosier finished 16th for LG's and Larry Allen finished 20th. My problem with Allen is that he became incredibly one dimensional last year and D-Linemen started to shoot gaps from different angles and he couldn't get a hold of them anymore. He was awful in his backside blocking. It also didn't help that he doesn't really fit the Parcells blocking scheme which prefers having mobile O-Linemen who can get out in space and pull. To Kosier's credit, I think he at least fits the scheme better than Allen does at this point.

Fabini only started partially last year, so I couldn't really use my stats on him.

However, in 2004 he finished as the 2nd best LT according to my stats, behind Walter Jones. He was pretty average in pass blocking, but he led the league in run blocking.

Now, I don't believe my stat analysis of O-Linemen is completely concrete, but I think it gives a decent ballpark figure of how O-Linemen are doing.

It's not a question of if a healthy Fabini is an upgrade over Big Rob, it's by how much.

Rich........
Did your analysis include any ESPN 2K video footage?:D

DandyDon

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
You're a LITTLE off base.

No team in the NFL really uses the twin tight end formation like we're going to. At least not to my knowledge.

And Witten will be more of a roving tight end. This move was made to allow Witten to be more of a facet in the passing game, where as last year he had to help Petitti, and that hurt our passing game.
maybe you're a little off base - Jerry had said that Fasano would be the "roving" tight end, and Witten would be the "stationary" tight end.