Twitter: Twitter 7-27, training camp day two

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Reason #1 why Garrett should no longer be a head coach. That is proof right there of what I have been saying all along. The game plans on offense for every game were exactly the same. They never did anything different than what Garrett thought they did well. It’s why they were so predictable and other teams basically knew what was coming. There was no studying of the opponent to discover weaknesses that could be exploited. There was only, this is what we do the best so we’re going to run it again this week just like we have been doing all year. I have no faith anything will be different. I don’t think Garrett is capable of changing up a game plan every week so as to exploit the other team’s weakness.

First let me say that I am one that will always say that “they know more then me” because I am just the liquor store clerk. But with that said, this is so incomprehensible that they didn’t expand the offensive scheme in not just last year, but an prior years.

Just look at the Eagles scheme and play calling. I do not believe their offensive players are better then ours in a whole, but they put up a lot of points because they keep defenses on their heels with the numerous different alignments and plays out of those ailments.

Now I believe that Garret and company believes that when we are on, we can’t be stopped. And there is some truth to that. But what happens when we are not, when the good defenses are keying in our plays, where are the adjustments. Where is the imagination to carry us through those stale moments. Those extra plays that future teams now have to study.

I don’t know I’m just blabbering. I’m going back to work and finish stocking the shelves now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe, Beasley issues were about scheme used against him and for some ignant reason linehan didnt adjust..Its very simple to put a monkey in that kind of scheming..Linehan just went stupid at times. Maybe he thought speed was the difference..Beasly runs a 4.52 But his skill is lateral quickness..It diesnt matter who you are, if teams double or jam you, or Jam and hand you off, you have to break it, or put the wr in motion..Something Linehan didnt use as much as yearz past.

Linehan had many limitations due to player limitations.

Dez was limited in how they could use him due to mental limitations and having lost speed/athleticism by 2017.

TWill has the odd limitation of struggling when the distance between him an the QB is short. If he lines up near the line and runs a short slant, he will struggle to catch the ball. Move him out from the line and/or run a deeper slant and he is much better. He needs the ball to be in the air long enough that he can "see" it. TWill is also limited on deep passes. He does not adjust well to long bomb type throws. That limits him to intermediate routes.

Witten was limited in 2017 due to his lack of speed.

Garrett refused to ever pull Witten off the field to run some 4 Wide sets.

Beasley was limited due to his size and lack of elite speed.

Put all of those limitations together and it made it very difficult on the offensive coordinator.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
That sounds like they plan to limit Lee's snaps to some extent.

So when do we limit Lee’s snaps? On third and long because he is so vital to our run defense. And as some has suggested they think Smith and Lee is the nickel LB’s. Or does Smith come out on run downs. Idk how this is going to work unless LVE just beast out.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

Dez was limited in how they could use him due to mental limitations and having lost speed/athleticism by 2017.

TWill has the odd limitation of struggling when the distance between him an the QB is short. If he lines up near the line and runs a short slant, he will struggle to catch the ball. Move him out from the line and/or run a deeper slant and he is much better. He needs the ball to be in the air long enough that he can "see" it. TWill is also limited on deep passes. He does not adjust well to long bomb type throws. That limits him to intermediate routes.

Put all of those limitations together and it made it very difficult on the offensive coordinator.

Kinda disagree on Beasley. He could not be covered in 2016 and when he was it was because he was being double teamed due to Dez and Witten not being able to create separation whatsoever. I expect him to have a bounce back year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So when do we limit Lee’s snaps? On third and long because he is so vital to our run defense. And as some has suggested they think Smith and Lee is the nickel LB’s. Or does Smith come out on run downs. Idk how this is going to work unless LVE just beast out.

They might just pull Lee for a series here and there instead of situationally.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
First let me say that I am one that will always say that “they know more then me” because I am just the liquor store clerk. But with that said, this is so incomprehensible that they didn’t expand the offensive scheme in not just last year, but an prior years.

Just look at the Eagles scheme and play calling. I do not believe their offensive players are better then ours in a whole, but they put up a lot of points because they keep defenses on their heels with the numerous different alignments and plays out of those ailments.

Now I believe that Garret and company believes that when we are on, we can’t be stopped. And there is some truth to that. But what happens when we are not, when the good defenses are keying in our plays, where are the adjustments. Where is the imagination to carry us through those stale moments. Those extra plays that future teams now have to study.

I don’t know I’m just blabbering. I’m going back to work and finish stocking the shelves now.
I was told that the Eagles Offense was actually a college offense to keep it simple for Wentz

Maybe it caught all these hi tech Pro Ds by surprise.....lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kinda disagree on Beasley. He could not be covered in 2016 and when he was it was because he was being double teamed due to Dez and Witten not being able to create separation whatsoever. I expect him to have a bounce back year.

Yes, Beasley on short area routes with single coverage is very good. The limitation is in regards to routes past 10 yards. Also he is not a big RAC threat. He has some great RAC plays in his career but in general defenses are not overly concerned about his RAC ability.

On routes over 10 yards, his quickness advantage is minimized and his lack of size becomes more of an issue. DBs can reach over/around him. He beats DBs on his cut but the DBs have more time to makeup steps on longer routes because the ball is in the air longer.

Again, you can find plays where he has had success on longer routes and with RAC but in general it's not where he is best suited.

Tavon Austin might be similar in size, but his elite speed makes him a RAC threat and he has the ability to separate on longer routes which offsets his size.

If you watch games over and over many times, the WR's limitations become obvious.

Obviously if other WRs or TEs become bigger threats than they were in 2017, then Beasley's limitations will be less obvious. He is very good in his niche and that's fine. As long as surrounding players are good enough then Beasley is valuable; however, in a season like 2017 Beasley doesn't have the ability to transcend being surrounded by sub par performing players like Dez.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

If Beasley's limitations are what restricted his route tree last season (his entire Cowboys career actually), then why expand his route tree now? Did he grow or get any faster in 2018?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Beasley's limitations are what restricted his route tree last season (his entire Cowboys career actually), then why expand his route tree now? Did he grow or get any faster in 2018?

By most accounts, the offense would pigeon hole WRs with a limited number of routes which they did best.

Unfortunately, when the defense knows that, it helps them to negate those routes.

They're all playing a game for a living, but no one who knows any game theory seems to be allowed within 50 feet of the coaching staff.

Reactions: BAT

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Being doubled had nothing to do with dropping open passes. Beasley regressed and only his fan boys think it was because he was doubled

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reason #1 why Garrett should no longer be a head coach. That is proof right there of what I have been saying all along. The game plans on offense for every game were exactly the same. They never did anything different than what Garrett thought they did well. It’s why they were so predictable and other teams basically knew what was coming. There was no studying of the opponent to discover weaknesses that could be exploited. There was only, this is what we do the best so we’re going to run it again this week just like we have been doing all year. I have no faith anything will be different. I don’t think Garrett is capable of changing up a game plan every week so as to exploit the other team’s weakness.

And yet...top ten again in terms of offensive production on a points per series basis. If your proof doesn’t actually prove anything, what use is it?