Twitter: Will McClay Interview

Jake0

Reaction score
This was Wade’s approach as well. I prefer the tighter coordination with coaches to find guys who fit what you want to do. Hard to argue with the recent draft results.

Are you saying the recent draft results are good? The past 3 years have been horrendous. Even 2016 isn't looking as sharp as it once did before considering it was supposed to be a great year with the #4 overall pick.

One thing that is certain is the run defense has been atrocious and something needs to be done about the complete neglect of the DT positions. It was fine with David Irving, but since then it has led to the downfall of the entire scheme.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you saying the recent draft results are good? The past 3 years have been horrendous. Even 2016 isn't looking as sharp as it once did before considering it was supposed to be a great year with the #4 overall pick.

One thing that is certain is the run defense has been atrocious and something needs to be done about the complete neglect of the DT positions. It was fine with David Irving, but since then it has led to the downfall of the entire scheme.

I’m saying we’ve had a lot of success drafting with the current approach, yes. Was that not clear?

Jake0

Reaction score
I’m saying we’ve had a lot of success drafting with the current approach, yes. Was that not clear?

Recent is a vague term, if recent means the past 10 years then ok, things have been solid. Recent meaning past few years? Then you are completely wrong.

You can also break it down by position. Recent draft results (~10ish years) for interior defensive linemen has been very bad and probably could use a complete overhaul.

Recent draft results for Olineman on the other hand, they can stick to whatever formula they have going now.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I listened to most of the interview and while a lot of it was pretty generic the biggest thing that stood out to me was his response to what kind of players McCarthy would be looking for. He said it was a "breath of fresh air" that McCarthy told him to just find him good football players and they would worry about putting them in position to succeed and scheming to success afterwords. Without directly saying it he basically confirmed the previous staff was too worried about finding players that fit their scheme rather than the other way around.
Um, perhaps I am just getting old and my attention span is wavering, but I listened to this interview 3 times and I did NOT hear McClay say anything at all about McCarthy telling him to "just find him good football players". I did hear him say several times that he needs to find out what kind of players that the new coaching staff, McCarthy in particular, want to acquire.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All things equal sure, but taking lesser talent due to scheme is a flawed decision making process.

I doubt they’d characterize it as taking lesser talent. They’d say it’s equivalent players with a better scheme fit.

CWR

Reaction score
I doubt they’d characterize it as taking lesser talent. They’d say it’s equivalent players with a better scheme fit.

Thats exactly how they characterized it when we traded down for Tfred. Obviously it worked out, but again not a great decision making process.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats exactly how they characterized it when we traded down for Tfred. Obviously it worked out, but again not a great decision making process.

If it nets us a player Ike Frederick, I’d say it’s a pretty good process.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Recent is a vague term, if recent means the past 10 years then ok, things have been solid. Recent meaning past few years? Then you are completely wrong.

You can also break it down by position. Recent draft results (~10ish years) for interior defensive linemen has been very bad and probably could use a complete overhaul.

Recent draft results for Olineman on the other hand, they can stick to whatever formula they have going now.

The further you go back in time from the present, the less recent actually means recent.

Our actual recent drafts haven’t been great.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I’m saying we’ve had a lot of success drafting with the current approach, .

Our last two 1st rounders have busted, but overall I would agree with you that drafting has not been a problem during the Garrett era.

Like I have said a million times, I do not think talent is the reason we keep losing, I believe it was just very bad coaching from Garrett on down.

The fact that virtually the entire coaching staff has been fired kinda seems like Jerry and Steven agree with my assessment.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
If it nets us a player Ike Frederick, I’d say it’s a pretty good process.

Im not disparaging WM or his draft record. Sometimes we succeed despite our flaws. If you make decisions based on that process more often than not you will lose. Now the question you have to ask yourself is how many times did we pass on a better player due to scheme fit? We can both name twice in the last three years alone.

CWR

Reaction score

We have, although some of our drafts after 2016 are losing some of their luster. Consider this, maybe WM is so good at his job he puts us on good players more often than not regardless. That doesn't mean he couldn't be even better without being handcuffed to scheme fits though does it?

Jake0

Reaction score
Our last two 1st rounders have busted, but overall I would agree with you that drafting has not been a problem during the Garrett era.

Like I have said a million times, I do not think talent is the reason we keep losing, I believe it was just very bad coaching from Garrett on down.

The fact that virtually the entire coaching staff has been fired kinda seems like Jerry and Steven agree with my assessment.

Drafting has been a problem on picks where Rod Marinelli intervened.