CFZ Two different philosophies to build an NFL championship roster

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree. But what they asked him todo was bus drive. Ironically on the few occasions the got way down and had to make big comebacks or score quickly he was not at his best.
the dep ball was also not a strength. He was an immobile statue that hung in tough.
he was never elite.
I agree . I think it’s important how it’s described.

Elite can be a subjective description. Winning is also a description of Elite. And Aikman was an important part of that winning culture and success.

We could also argue if Emmitt would have had as much success without that OL.

The Tripletts prob got too much credit as that defense was awesome too.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Elite can be a subjective description. Winning is also a description of Elite. And Aikman was an important part of that winning culture and success.

Aikman had scant success the moment that oline was not elite. He got crushed. He also couldn’t win without emmitt. He gets way too much credit for the teams success. He was part of it, but was never elite.

he is the the ultimate trap qb for qb challenged fans.

kskboys

Reaction score
if Hurts plays at or near the level he played this year, we all know what will happen... he will be signed. 100%, not a chance in hell they let him walk... NONE, zip, nada... so that throws the entire original post in the toilet. im still waiting for an example of single team that has let an outstanding young qb walk when their rookie deal expired... hell, I bet the OP cant give me one example in the history of the league where that has happened.
Ah, finally got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drew Brees.

Don't get me wrong, I agree w/ what you're saying, but I can't help but try to find the contrary side of things when challenged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also to be considered: Rookie deals used to be 7-10 years on outstanding QBs.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Peepee slap was traded before his rook contract was up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did MIA release Tannehill before rook contract was up?
??? Peepee slap? :laugh: Who is that?
Re: Tannehill- he has signed two big contracts- one with Mia in 2015…he was then traded after the 2018 season to Tenn where he played on a one yr deal. They re-upped him with a pretty big contract in 2020- his second big contract as a starter.

kskboys

Reaction score
??? Peepee slap? :laugh: Who is that?
Re: Tannehill- he has signed two big contracts- one with Mia in 2015…he was then traded after the 2018 season to Tenn where he played on a one yr deal. They re-upped him with a pretty big contract in 2020- his second big contract as a starter.
Deshaun Watson

Bagman

Reaction score
The Jones' think they have the franchise QB already. They have gone the traditional route. The problem is they haven't won squat. They're way too lazy to put in any real work building a full, complete championship roster. The Jones' are 9 to 5 guys who shut the lights and go home for dinner. They don't work weekends or holidays. They take long vacations during free agency and spend lots of time meeting with corporate big wigs involving business deals. Name another management team from the other 31 teams who does this ? You know that answer.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
What Super Bowl teams were built around a QB on a rookie deal who didn’t go on to become elite? It’s not like teams plug any old rookie QB in and win Super Bowls. More recently, Mahomes and Burrow were on rookie deals but they’re the two best in the business. Russell Wilson was on a rookie deal but went on to become a Hall of Famer. Brock Purdy didn’t make a Super Bowl, so the latter hasn’t been proven yet.

kskboys

Reaction score

That was a Defensive team. It was the D that turned around that first super bowl. 9 TOs. Dall's first two scores came off TOs, one a fumble returned for a TD.

In the 2nd super bowl vs BUFF, Dall was losing at the half. The game was turned around in the 3rd quarter by Leon Lett causing a fumble which James Washington returned for a TD.

It's actually amazing to me how many fans don't realize that the 90s super bowl teams were Defensive teams.

kskboys

Reaction score
What Super Bowl teams were built around a QB on a rookie deal who didn’t go on to become elite? It’s not like teams plug any old rookie QB in and win Super Bowls. More recently, Mahomes and Burrow were on rookie deals but they’re the two best in the business. Russell Wilson was on a rookie deal but went on to become a Hall of Famer. Brock Purdy didn’t make a Super Bowl, so the latter hasn’t been proven yet.
Why do you think Wilson is a HOFer?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Good question .

I’d define a championship roster as one that has contended for a championship.

Which would mean making it to a championship game.
How many years away from the championship game does a team get to consider themselves a championship roster? Do the Bengals count since they were in the 22 afc title game? I guess the bills dont have one?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I guess we need to establish or better define championship winning rosters to championship caliber rosters?

There have been several championship caliber teams without Elite QB’s in recent years. We can begin with 2 this year in Phil and SF.

Going back a few years we could say a couple championship teams without an Elite QB like Baltimore and NY.
I will disagree on SF this year. If Brock Purdy puts together a 17 game season that is a mirror of what he did in his starts this year, he will be an MVP candidate. I watched almost everyone of his games and he was not Jimmy G just not making mistakes... that guy was an absolute stud.

kskboys

Reaction score
I will disagree on SF this year. If Brock Purdy puts together a 17 game season that is a mirror of what he did in his starts this year, he will be an MVP candidate. I watched almost everyone of his games and he was not Jimmy G just not making mistakes... that guy was an absolute stud.
Me too. Purdy quite simply looks as if he has "it". Dude understands the game and knows what to do w/ the ball. Man, people who are claiming he isn't that good obviously didn't watch him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Mahomes is one of those rare commodity’s. He simply dismisses or makes exceptions to the rule of most everything with his raw abilities. But he still needs a good enough team around him as he isn’t winning it every year but he will be contending for it every year. That is the definition of championship caliber IMO.

And there’s only a handful of these QB’s. Unfortunately there’s not enough to go around. I certainly wouldn’t argue against if we had a Mahomes, Burrows , Allen or Rodgers type on our roster might have been enough to make or win a championship. That’s definitely a credible argument. They make all of those teams championship caliber.

What is so mystifying here is that if we can establish this criteria then it makes our situation even more questionable. Not only have we not found this caliber of QB this era we haven’t even attempted to draft one.
so do you have to draft 1 in the first rd to count? Dak was what, 13-3 as a rookie? The Cowboys felt they had their guy..... I just have now accepted he isnt the guy, but isnt that subjective?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Good point. Very few examples. Kapernick with SF comes to mind not resigned .

Of course Rams traded Goff who took them to a SB not resigning him.

If you have a less than Elite QB who takes you to at least championship appearances you’d normally resign him. And in most cases even just being a playoff team is prob enough .

But I totally agree, Phil is going to resign Hurts and over pay him as well. Time will tell if that works out long term.
Lets be real, the Kaepernick situation was some behind the scenes banning going on. NOBODY signed a guy that was clearly an nfl starter because of what was happening in the country.

Goff was trdaed for a qb the Ras felt was actually better and paid him a ton. So the rams certainly didnt take philosophy number 2 and having a qb making rookie qb money. And the Niners got Jimmy G after Kaep and promptly gave him big money, so while they didnt resign Kaep, they also didnt draft a qb and have their starter making rookie money, so again, neither of those examples follow Bob's examples of philosophy number 2.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Me too. Purdy quite simply looks as if he has "it". Dude understands the game and knows what to do w/ the ball. Man, people who are claiming he isn't that good obviously didn't watch him.
yea, I freaking hate it. I live in the SF area and had to hear all these niner fans every week with their "Purdy good," BS.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Ah, finally got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drew Brees.

Don't get me wrong, I agree w/ what you're saying, but I can't help but try to find the contrary side of things when challenged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also to be considered: Rookie deals used to be 7-10 years on outstanding QBs.
NAH... Brees had a shoulder injury and the Chargers and everyone else was really worried if hed be able to play. And the fact the chargers then kept his replacement for 15 years shows they didnt believe in Bob's second philosophy. Had the Chargers known Drew Brees was going to be the Drew Brees the Sainst had for a decade, no way they let him walk.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lets be real, the Kaepernick situation was some behind the scenes banning going on. NOBODY signed a guy that was clearly an nfl starter because of what was happening in the country.

Goff was trdaed for a qb the Ras felt was actually better and paid him a ton. So the rams certainly didnt take philosophy number 2 and having a qb making rookie qb money. And the Niners got Jimmy G after Kaep and promptly gave him big money, so while they didnt resign Kaep, they also didnt draft a qb and have their starter making rookie money, so again, neither of those examples follow Bob's examples of philosophy number 2.
Slippery slope here.

Kap was not an NFL starter. He had actually proven the opposite of that the season following his super bowl appearance. The league figured him out, rendering him inadequate. He was a backup type at that point, not a starter.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Imagine still thinking that paying a non-elite QB will result in championships.. lol