CFZ Two different philosophies to build an NFL championship roster

kskboys

Reaction score
NAH... Brees had a shoulder injury and the Chargers and everyone else was really worried if hed be able to play. And the fact the chargers then kept his replacement for 15 years shows they didnt believe in Bob's second philosophy. Had the Chargers known Drew Brees was going to be the Drew Brees the Sainst had for a decade, no way they let him walk.
Brees played very well the season before he was released, but the Chargers already had their guy in Rivers.
Anyway, as I said, I do agree w/ your premise. Even if Brees is counted as one such, he's the exception.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
What are you waiting on from me Reid?
you gave 2 different philosophies of team building in your original post. Im asking you to give me an example of 1 team that uses your 2nd philosophy of not signing QBs to a 2nd deal. My argument is that there is no such team using your philosophy. Teams just decide a qb isnt the guy and dont keep him, but they damn sure dont let a guy go that they do believe is the guy because they dont want the qb to be making big money.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Slippery slope here.

Kap was not an NFL starter. He had actually proven the opposite of that the season following his super bowl appearance. The league figured him out, rendering him inadequate. He was a backup type at that point, not a starter.
I dont care either way about Kaep...im just saying that example does not support Bobs 2nd philosophy of roster building in his original post.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Brees played very well the season before he was released, but the Chargers already had their guy in Rivers.
Anyway, as I said, I do agree w/ your premise. Even if Brees is counted as one such, he's the exception.
like I said, it wasnt his play it was that shoulder injury. Remember the Dolphins wanted him but passed after his physical, if I remember correctly.

kskboys

Reaction score
you gave 2 different philosophies of team building in your original post. Im asking you to give me an example of 1 team that uses your 2nd philosophy of not signing QBs to a 2nd deal. My argument is that there is no such team using your philosophy. Teams just decide a qb isnt the guy and dont keep him, but they damn sure dont let a guy go that they do believe is the guy because they dont want the qb to be making big money.
If anything, teams overkeep QBs just in case. Tanehill is a great example of that.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If anything, teams overkeep QBs just in case. Tanehill is a great example of that.
the Dolphins were hoping he was the guy but didnt he have serious injuries in back to back seasons while on a rookie deal? He went to Titans and actually played well.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok…well first of all, I’m not trying to “win” an argument. I was just pointing out that the two teams in the SB were built in different ways that I found interesting. The “rookie deal” QB philosophy worked with Russell Wilson in Sea before he got paid, Mahomes’ first SB win before he got paid, and almost worked with Burrows and Hurts before they get paid in filly and Cincy.

Again, I was trying to get a discussion going, not win a debate.

It seems to me there are two different ways lately to put together a roster that competes for a SB. I called them models. If you have a good enough QB on a rookie deal, you can be aggressive in spending on other parts of your roster that you likely cannot once a QB is being paid QB market price. You have made some good points on this thread but I don’t think there is an ironclad “the only way” to win a SB.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Ok…well first of all, I’m not trying to “win” an argument. I was just pointing out that the two teams in the SB were built in different ways that I found interesting. The “rookie deal” QB philosophy worked with Russell Wilson in Sea before he got paid, Mahomes’ first SB win before he got paid, and almost worked with Burrows and Hurts before they get paid in filly and Cincy.

Again, I was trying to get a discussion going, not win a debate.

It seems to me there are two different ways lately to put together a roster that competes for a SB. I called them models. If you have a good enough QB on a rookie deal, you can be aggressive in spending on other parts of your roster that you likely cannot once a QB is being paid QB market price. You have made some good points on this thread but I don’t think there is an ironclad “the only way” to win a SB.
Your second model certainley speaks to "When they make the all in call" and to me thats legit as we jacked around with Dak's rookie contract when most knew the FO was going to give him a 2nd contract. I get what your saying basically its.

1. Are you using years to save up money to pay your elite QB knowing he is how your going to win.
2. Your QB is on a rookie deal and you think he is good enough to max your cap out for several years with elite talent around him to take your shot knowing it will put you in some cap hell later if you have to sign him to a 2nd deal but you may move him along and do it again in 5 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
the Dolphins were hoping he was the guy but didnt he have serious injuries in back to back seasons while on a rookie deal? He went to Titans and actually played well.
He wasn't as good as the perception, though he did a great bus driver type job.

Reaction score
you can hand the ball off and throw a few passes and have high qb rating. Aikman was no way elite. he was largely a bus driver that handed the ball off in that offense. And he was great at it.
Just stop. He wasn't a bus driver. Those offenses required precision and timing that very few QBs today would be able to match because teams were actually allowed defend in that era.

Pass Attempts: 1992
Young 402
Aikman 473 (SB MVP)
Young 462
Aikman 392 (14 games)
Young 461
Aikman 361 (14 games)
Young 447 (11 games) (SB MVP)
Aikman 432

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If you get the QB, build around him. That's limited to the available studs and there aren't many and while I feel Herbert and Lawrence are on that cusp, they are not there yet.

Even Allen has some questions around his mental state to handle the job. That BUF-CIN game was a real study in QB contrast regarding pressure, self-imposed pressure. I question Allen's emotional maturity.

While I do not think Prescott is close to that stud label, it was not all his fault and this speaks to Bullet's thread. In fact, I do not feel it was mostly his fault.

Think about this for a minute. They go into the season without a real #1WR, see their QB struggle and pull the trigger on the Cooper trade. Then, they see the immediate connection with Cooper. Then they trade away Cooper and do what? Sign an injured WR, sign Washington and draft Tolbert. That's it? That, is what you are giving your QB that has already proven he needs better WR's?

The brain trust of the Cowboys did neither of Bullet's options this past season.
Good points, the team really screwed the pooch at the WR position, just a massive blunder all the way around.

They gambled that Gallup would return to his old self and they were wrong, he was a gimp running around on one leg all season.

Second gamble was they thought a 3rd round rookie WR could come in and put numbers up, wrong again, the pick is looking like a bust at this point.

Cant trade Cooper and then whiff twice on trying to replace his production.

Reaction score
Good points, the team really screwed the pooch at the WR position, just a massive blunder all the way around.

They gambled that Gallup would return to his old self and they were wrong, he was a gimp running around on one leg all season.

Second gamble was they thought a 3rd round rookie WR could come in and put numbers up, wrong again, the pick is looking like a bust at this point.

Cant trade Cooper and then whiff twice on trying to replace his production.
Lamb replaced Cooper's production. In fact, he was slightly better. The Cowboys had about 1800 yards rushing between Zeke and Pollard. Another 1000 yards between Shultz and Brown. 3 first round draft picks on the O-line, one 3rd and one 4th. What stands out on offense? 15 interceptions in 12 games.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I keep reading that Philly is using the 2nd model and building around a non-elite QB.

How do we know Hurts is not elite? His combination of passing and running ability is very difficult to stop, very few teams could this year.

Even in the SB, most analyst say that Hurts played well enough to win the game and his only mistake was the fumble.

I highly doubt Philly is going to let Hurts walk when his rookie deal expires, he will be in the $50 mill a year crowd.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Lamb replaced Cooper's production. In fact, he was slightly better. The Cowboys had about 1800 yards rushing between Zeke and Pollard. Another 1000 yards between Shultz and Brown. 3 first round draft picks on the O-line, one 3rd and one 4th. What stands out on offense? 15 interceptions in 12 games.
When Lamb was covered, the passing game was crap. Shultz is an average at best TE and Brown has hands of stone.

When the 2nd best WR on the team, T.Y. Hilton, was signed off his couch during the season, then your WR core has major problems. Even Jerry admitted at the Senior bowl they took a step back at the WR position but said the money saved trading Coop helped other areas of the team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Turn that around and answer how many of these QB's that won on their expensive second contracts had won it all in their Rookie Deals.....the argument is that if the QB hasnt proved himself when he's young and cheap, he's unlikely to do it when he's become expensive. Second Contracts are successful when you're certain that that QB can overcome the CAP restricted roster.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I keep reading that Philly is using the 2nd model and building around a non-elite QB.

How do we know Hurts is not elite? His combination of passing and running ability is very difficult to stop, very few teams could this year.

Even in the SB, most analyst say that Hurts played well enough to win the game and his only mistake was the fumble.
Whether Hurts is elite is irrelevant, it's how integral he is to the success for the team. The benefit he has is that he's proved that by getting to a SB, playing well (whilst coming back from an injury). The question for their FO is whether they can continue at that level when existing vets start retiring and they cant afford to replace them.

I highly doubt Philly is going to let Hurts walk when his rookie deal expires, he will be in the $50 mill a year crowd.
I don't know, they did with Wentz. The difference is FO outlook, Eagles are a lot more progressive where we are rose tinted love for 'our guys'.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Whether Hurts is elite is irrelevant, it's how integral he is to the success for the team. The benefit he has is that he's proved that by getting to a SB, playing well (whilst coming back from an injury). The question for their FO is whether they can continue at that level when existing vets start retiring and they cant afford to replace them.

I don't know, they did with Wentz. The difference is FO outlook, Eagles are a lot more progressive where we are rose tinted love for 'our guys'.
Good points.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Give me a break.
Just stop. He wasn't a bus driver. Those offenses required precision and timing that very few QBs today would be able to match because teams were actually allowed defend in that era.

Pass Attempts: 1992
Young 402
Aikman 473 (SB MVP)
Young 462
Aikman 392 (14 games)
Young 461
Aikman 361 (14 games)
Young 447 (11 games) (SB MVP)
Aikman 432
give me a break.. He threw play action slants and outs off the best run game in the business, guys do that all day long here.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Turn that around and answer how many of these QB's that won on their expensive second contracts had won it all in their Rookie Deals.....the argument is that if the QB hasnt proved himself when he's young and cheap, he's unlikely to do it when he's become expensive. Second Contracts are successful when you're certain that that QB can overcome the CAP restricted roster.
The overwhelming majority of SB winning QBs since the cap came into play in what, 1995 have not been on rookie deals. Drew brees, Rodgers, Payton, Favre, Rodgers, Eli, ... the only one I can think of is Russel Wilson... I guess you could count Brady since I think his 1st title was on a rookie deal, but he won a few more not on a rookie deal.

kskboys

Reaction score
The overwhelming majority of SB winning QBs since the cap came into play in what, 1995 have not been on rookie deals. Drew brees, Rodgers, Payton, Favre, Rodgers, Eli, ... the only one I can think of is Russel Wilson... I guess you could count Brady since I think his 1st title was on a rookie deal, but he won a few more not on a rookie deal.
Rothlisberger

But, once again, I agree w/ your premise.

Might see more rooks winning it as the monster contracts start weighing heavily on the cap. Gonna be interesting for sure.

We also might see more vets being traded to teams such as the Rams who go all in for a year or two.