Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

erod

Reaction score
False. Letting go of Murray now have us in a position where we need a RB again.

Griffin is probably every bit the running back Murray is now.

Murray was a one-season wonder who made the critical mistake against Green Bay.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most disappointing is that Gregory was a con man all along. He fooled us all.

Hardy, we knew what he was before he got here.

I think Gregory's less con man and more a really troubled player, but it amounts to the same thing as far as suspensions go. But everything you hear from the team and the players is them hoping he gets his life on the right track. They seem more concerned for him than disappointed in him. Or at least more concerned than angry, anyway.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I think Gregory's less con man and more a really troubled player, but it amounts to the same thing as far as suspensions go. But everything you hear from the team and the players is them hoping he gets his life on the right track. They seem more concerned for him than disappointed in him. Or at least more concerned than angry, anyway.

and that's fine. That's the way I would expect them to be. concerned.
But I was thinking big for Mr Randy Gregory. A long career with lots of accomplishments.

Its not off to a good start. I still think the risk was worth it with regard to the draft.......I don't blame the FO at all...

erod

Reaction score

If marijuana is supposedly such a safe and non-addictive drug, why do so many players cost themselves millions by repeatedly getting tested positive for it.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
If marijuana is supposedly such a safe and non-addictive drug, why do so many players cost themselves millions by repeatedly getting tested positive for it.

This.

It has it's benefits but the dependance is real and, fair or unfair, it is illegal in most states.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It is a relatively safe intoxicant.

My theory is that there's a lot more stress associated with being an NFL player than people realize and that people need the stress relief more than they need the fix, but it sure is stupid. In Gregory's case, I think he's got legitimate mental health issues and his drug use is probably wrapped up in that fairly significantly. That's an opinion just based on hearsay and innuendo, but it makes some sense given the facts we do have about his situation and how the team seems to be handling him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and that's fine. That's the way I would expect them to be. concerned.
But I was thinking big for Mr Randy Gregory. A long career with lots of accomplishments.

Its not off to a good start. I still think the risk was worth it with regard to the draft.......I don't blame the FO at all...

For sure. The specific reasons why he seems to be trashing his own NFL career don't really matter very much when you get down to it. I was just commenting on what I think is probably going on, and it's just guess work anyway.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It is a relatively safe intoxicant.

My theory is that there's a lot more stress associated with being an NFL player than people realize and that people need the stress relief more than they need the fix, but it sure is stupid. In Gregory's case, I think he's got legitimate mental health issues and his drug use is probably wrapped up in that fairly significantly. That's an opinion just based on hearsay and innuendo, but it makes some sense given the facts we do have about his situation and how the team seems to be handling him.

Also, the team took Dez Bryant pretty seriously and around issues of anger and very poor decisions in his private life...not drug or extremes of criminal actions.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Griffin is probably every bit the running back Murray is now.

Murray was a one-season wonder who made the critical mistake against Green Bay.

One season wonder huh? You realize he was pretty solid his whole time here, right?

Unless you think McFadden, Randle and Dunbar were better options.

Romo also made a critical mistake in more than one playoff game. Guess we should have let him walk, too.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We were never picking Elliott at 4.

Pretty much a foregone conclusion we're going Wentz/Goff at 4, whoever is left. If they're both there, it makes things interesting.

I think the cowboys secretly love wentz and he probably goes to Cleveland. not sure how much they love Goff. wouldn't surprise me then somebody paying premium to get up and get goff because someone is going to fall in love with him....

the cowboys also really like Myles and depending on how far they drop and how much they get, they may not make the trade....cowboys also like lynch and don't expect to draft a QB that will start immediately and they can afford to be patient. if the above scenario happens, they will probably try and trade back into first and pick lynch....unless somebody panics and picks him in the mid teens.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

You can be addictive to anything. Except prob watching a bad Cowboys team year after year.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One season wonder huh? You realize he was pretty solid his whole time here, right?

Unless you think McFadden, Randle and Dunbar were better options.

Romo also made a critical mistake in more than one playoff game. Guess we should have let him walk, too.

It's easier to replace an overused rb vs a franchise qb. Sorry.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

i'd be concerned if couldn't stop drinking. i'd be concerned if he had thieving habits. i'd be concerned if he were fighting a life threatening illness. i'd even be concerned if he were having serious family troubles that brought out such career threatening activity.

at this point, he's just a dude who can't put the weed down. i'd have to think the disappointment would rage and the concern would be for his overall lack of intelligence.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

cause they're stupid.

it is not addictive in as much as just a habit for some, but that's not addictive.

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
I was a dogface for 23 years...we just didn't have the time to be pessimistic. Simply stated, the ONLY thing we could count upon, was that no matter what it was, the second time around that it would change. But one kept driving on...and so do athletes.

Cowboys too. President Lyndon Johnson was once asked what it took to be a good Texas Ranger. He stated simply, a good Ranger gets knocked on his backside. He then gets back up and continues on with his mission...

My point here is? nothing changes the NFL doesn't want role models or choir boys
they want to sell tickets, keep the media clammering away and drawing in the top
ratings each and every week as they laugh their way to the bank

CCBoy

Reaction score
My point here is? nothing changes the NFL doesn't want role models or choir boys
they want to sell tickets, keep the media clammering away and drawing in the top
ratings each and every week as they laugh their way to the bank

That is stated by someone who is not a leader, and has not studied what leadership entails or how it works.

CCBoy

Reaction score
i'd be concerned if couldn't stop drinking. i'd be concerned if he had thieving habits. i'd be concerned if he were fighting a life threatening illness. i'd even be concerned if he were having serious family troubles that brought out such career threatening activity.

at this point, he's just a dude who can't put the weed down. i'd have to think the disappointment would rage and the concern would be for his overall lack of intelligence.

At the age that this is occuring...and that is NOT a problem?

deanr

Reaction score
The truth of the matter is that McFadden wasn't effective enough for what they truly need. He wasn't brought in to be the starter. He was brought in to be a piece of their rushing attack, something he certainly can still be. Alfred Morris, whom I really like, has the highest mileage of any running back since 2012. He became an afterthought in Washington and decided that Dallas can best utilize his skill set; he's right. However, that doesn't mean that he's here to be the starting back either though he fits the offense's scheme like a glove.

The Cowboys' coaches have tons of motivational signs around Valley Ranch that read various things but the one quote you hear them preach the most when you get a glimpse of practice; Finish. Finish. Finish...

That's what the Cowboys will be looking for in fresh legs coming out of the draft. They want a player that is a finisher. They have a few good relief pitchers, but they want that closer. That's what they got out of DeMarco Murray in 2014 and that's what they hope to get again. That's precisely why you can't rule out the possibility of an Ezekiel Elliott even as high at four though it may be unlikely.

This year's draft doesn't necessarily offer up the extreme depth that last year's draft had at running back. Still, there are a handful of quality young backs out there that could really be an electric addition to the Cowboys offensive attack for years to come. When it comes to measuring these types of qualities, I tend to lend an ear to those that know best. In this case, let's look at OCC's post on finding superior backs. He's got four players that fall into Quadrant A as potential elite running backs to consider:

"What stands out here is that there's a cluster of four A-quadrant players that are pretty tightly bunched, all with above average athleticism and above average production. Not a big surprise to see (Ezekiel) Elliott and (Derrick) Henry show up here, but C.J. Prosise and Kenneth Dixon show up very well in this approach...

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...016-the-cowboys-rushing-attack-is-good-but-it
I would take Henry before EE but in the second round I want a power back and at 250 pounds he would give fits to any defence running behind this line

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
You don't draft RBs in the top 5. Why is this a conversation in 2016?

Besides, next years class is LOADED! (Fournette, McCaffrey, Chubb, Cook, Freeman, Perine, Clement, etc) We'll be able to get stud in the 2nd or 3rd in that class.