Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I do agree that Hardy and Gregory have been boneheads. Its really unfortunate bc neither did enough on the field either

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Newton 265 yards passing

Manning 141 yards passing

Looks to me like panthers had more success passing the ball then Denver with over 124 more passing yards.
Carolina was trying to play catch up and Manning played horrible. The passing stats aren't reflective of much from that game.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Dallas was top 5 defense in the passing game and 22 I think in the run. .....if what your saying is true then how come a top 5 passing defense team went 4-12?
Because it's how well you pass that matters, not how many yards you pile up. Teams that pass well usually get the lead and stop passing later in the game, so their passing yardage totals are lower (and rushing yardage totals higher) than those of teams that are passing all the time trying to catch up. Because passing yards is a misleading stat, the NFL invented passer rating in the 70's to determine which QB won the passing title.

The Cowboys ranked 20th in defensive passer rating (the rating of opposing QB for the season). Offensively, Dallas ranked 30th according to the same stat. The passer rating differential (offense minus defense) ranked the Cowboys at 29th. Google "passer rating differential" and do some research.
Many ways to win a superbowl. Not one set way
The point isn't that there is one set way to win, it's that how well you pass (which also means how well you defend the pass) correlates strongly to winning games. A good running game and a commitment to the run can complement an effective passing game, as was the case in Dallas in 2014. But remove the effective passing game from the equation, and that running game will get you nowhere. See Dallas, 2015.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
getting turnovers or the lack of turnovers is a huge factor in who wins games and who makes the playoffs and who wins superbowls.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you watch it. ......here is some stats for you

Newton 265 yards passing

Manning 141 yards passing

Looks to me like panthers had more success passing the ball then Denver with over 124 more passing yards.

Carolina also had more rushing yards at 118 compared to Denver 90.

Passing yards have little to do with it. Rushing yards less. We're talking efficiency here.

In this case, passing efficiency was similar, though Peyton had the edge. But Cam also lost two fumbles from the QB position under the Denver defensive pressure.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
getting turnovers or the lack of turnovers is a huge factor in who wins games and who makes the playoffs and who wins superbowls.
Turnover Differential is a good one, but Passer Rating Differential is even better. This is from an 18-season study, which is the largest sample I've found. These are all based on a team's differential -- the offense's number minus the defense's number.

Correlation Coefficient to W-L
1995-2012

Points Per Drive .92
Pass Rating .81
Yards Per Drive .69
3rd Down Conversions .64
Turnover Differential .64

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thanks Percy, you did a lot of work in correlating information. Points per drive always sounding like smart money. First to thirty-five stuff.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Couldnt agree more. In a perfect world, Hardy does a 360 and plays like he did minus all the extra crap. And Gregory has no suspension.

If that happens we def go BPA in draft. now i think we go DE @4.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott would be great in this offense. But what does Elliott + healthy Tony Romo get you? Wild card? Maybe 10-6 and win the division?

No single player they can add in this draft is going to add up to a team that is on par with Carolina and/or Seattle.

Tony Romo is an old man by NFL standards. Priority #1 for the Cowboys should be finding his successor. If the scouts love Goff or Wentz, you draft them or do what you have to do to get the one you like and go from there. If the scouts don't like them, you draft Bosa, Elliott or whoever else you think is the best long term player for the franchise. But drafting anyone with an eye towards them pushing you over the top in '16 is foolish. It isn't going to happen with such a mediocre roster otherwise.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
1. Gregory really, really surprised me. He had me, hook line and sinker.,.....I feel cheated.
2. I think Hardy got a bad rep with the domestic thing, I don't think he is "that" guy......But he sure didn't do anything to help himself.....and his case. He is extremely immature......

I know picking a RB at 4 is not conventional wisdom anymore....but come'on. Having Elliott behind this line, and running those young legs all year long........ .... That should have anyone salivating.

And I have reservations like everyone else. But, I think QB is the way to go with this #4. But, would be just as excited if we went Elliott....:)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No RB is worth the #4 pick.

If this guy is Peterson squared, then I have no issues taking him at 4. The problem is this team has waaaaay tooo many other important holes to fill and the big one is franchise QB. Unfortunately, I dont think they are taking one. In the top 4 you need to get an all pro DL, Corner, RT, or QB in my opinion.

But................I do have a concern that Jerry will screw up this pick. And with Elliiot there, its probably one of the more sure bets out there.

But lets face reality here. If the Cowboys had the first 4 picks in the draft, they still wouldnt be a contender next year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If this guy is Peterson squared, then I have no issues taking him at 4. The problem is this team has waaaaay tooo many other important holes to fill and the big one is franchise QB. Unfortunately, I dont think they are taking one. In the top 4 you need to get an all pro DL, Corner, RT, or QB in my opinion.

But................I do have a concern that Jerry will screw up this pick. And with Elliiot there, its probably one of the more sure bets out there.

But lets face reality here. If the Cowboys had the first 4 picks in the draft, they still wouldnt be a contender next year.

You face it, we all know better...

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

I think they can be a contender if Romo stays healthy...... Everything has to go "exactly" right for them. They cant overcome adversity or have too many injuries.....But if the moon and stars lineup correctly and we get some luck along the way, I think we could make a run into the NFC Playoffs.....

problem is, the odds are against that Moon and stars lining up thing.....:)

erod

Reaction score
Most disappointing is that Gregory was a con man all along. He fooled us all.

Hardy, we knew what he was before he got here.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Most disappointing is that Gregory was a con man all along. He fooled us all.

Hardy, we knew what he was before he got here.

One doesn't realize that Eric Williams and Charles Haley both had some relearning while advancing to illustrious careers? Perhaps Michael Irvin as well?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think they can be a contender if Romo stays healthy...... Everything has to go "exactly" right for them. They cant overcome adversity or have too many injuries.....But if the moon and stars lineup correctly and we get some luck along the way, I think we could make a run into the NFC Playoffs.....

problem is, the odds are against that Moon and stars lining up thing.....:)

If everything aligns and we get lucky. You nailed it. ;)