Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

Craig

Reaction score
Manning didn't pass the ball well and won the superbowl.

Seattle lost by throwing instead of running at the 1 yard line. Sorry but formula is not the same. Great defense is the only one that is pretty consistent

Reading comprehension.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I disagee. With most passing teams in the NFL you are right. With our 1990's style offense a great running back is a must. We are running the same offense Aikman ran and as great as he and Micheal Irvin were, we couldn't win without Emmitt. We thought we had good backup running backs at the time and yet even with a great defense and the Great Wall of Dallas, we didn't get it done without a great running back. This offense that Garrett wants to run demands it.

It is not fair to Tony Romo to expect him to duplicate Aikmans playoff sucess when we are satisfied with journeyman type running backs.

Totally agree, and it's often overlooked that Dallas had a fairly dominant defense in those days as well. You can argue chicken or egg, but those Cowboy teams were LOADED with talent and play makers. The current version is not.

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
Greg Hardy's inability to keep his mouth shut,respect the coaching staff and show up for meetings and Randy Gregory getting busted for weed again has now forced us to go defensive end early in the draft again. Had these guys toed the line I have no doubt that the pick would have been Ezekeil Elliott (I don't see Ramsey being available at 4).

I don't know about you guys but just the thought of having a 20 year old stud RB with upside running behind Tyron Smith, La'el Collins, Travis Fredrick and Zack Martin for the next few years had me salivating. Now I know I must prepare myself for the Cowboys drafting lesser players at a position of need.

This reminds me of 1998 when Micheal Irvin's drug issues compelled us to take the safe pick (Greg Ellis) and miss out on a Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss. Drafting Moss most likely would have lengthened Troy Aikman's career. I see the same connection with Elliott and Tony Romo. Elliott would protect Romo as a blocker and also keeps 8 men in the box which helps Dez and the passing game. Elliott also protects the defense by keeping them of the field during long time consuming drives.

This is why I am really ticked off at Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory. Stay clean and we could have had a dominating team this year, But now we are left patching holes with free agency and the draft rather than making a good offense great.

Who are we kidding here?? Dallas was founded on the bad boy image it was the bad boys
who got us into the super bowl and won them, so let's stop acting like cleaning up the image
is somehow making us better.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Who are we kidding here?? Dallas was founded on the bad boy image it was the bad boys
who got us into the super bowl and won them, so let's stop acting like cleaning up the image
is somehow making us better.

Landry kept up a facade of choir boys yet that always struck me as keeping up appearances. Martin used to beat his wife, Henderson was a notorious cokehead. As long as it didn't give bad press it seems to have been ignored.

BHendri5

Reaction score
My point was the hype. Go back and look at the threads from last year about how Gordon could be our savior. The next corner stone. A beast behind this line.

Same thing happening here. Elliott is going to be a solid back in this league. A savior he is not. Just like Gordon.

I disagree about Elliot, and I agree about Gordon

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If we ran a more WCO run sprints out of the flats then sure EE can be a Roger Craig.

The reason everyone is so high on EE is because of his 3-4 catches a game and pass pro.

He is not some transcendent runner for all of his quickness and 4.47 speed. Gurley, Bo Jackson, AP, Walker and actual transcendent runners all have at least the speed and quickness of EE plus a whole lot of power which Elliott simply does not have.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Landry kept up a facade of choir boys yet that always struck me as keeping up appearances. Martin used to beat his wife, Henderson was a notorious cokehead. As long as it didn't give bad press it seems to have been ignored.

North Dallas Forty.

TX Cowboy

Reaction score

Exactly if it isn't broke then don't fix it

CCBoy

Reaction score
The truth of the matter is that McFadden wasn't effective enough for what they truly need. He wasn't brought in to be the starter. He was brought in to be a piece of their rushing attack, something he certainly can still be. Alfred Morris, whom I really like, has the highest mileage of any running back since 2012. He became an afterthought in Washington and decided that Dallas can best utilize his skill set; he's right. However, that doesn't mean that he's here to be the starting back either though he fits the offense's scheme like a glove.

The Cowboys' coaches have tons of motivational signs around Valley Ranch that read various things but the one quote you hear them preach the most when you get a glimpse of practice; Finish. Finish. Finish...

That's what the Cowboys will be looking for in fresh legs coming out of the draft. They want a player that is a finisher. They have a few good relief pitchers, but they want that closer. That's what they got out of DeMarco Murray in 2014 and that's what they hope to get again. That's precisely why you can't rule out the possibility of an Ezekiel Elliott even as high at four though it may be unlikely.

This year's draft doesn't necessarily offer up the extreme depth that last year's draft had at running back. Still, there are a handful of quality young backs out there that could really be an electric addition to the Cowboys offensive attack for years to come. When it comes to measuring these types of qualities, I tend to lend an ear to those that know best. In this case, let's look at OCC's post on finding superior backs. He's got four players that fall into Quadrant A as potential elite running backs to consider:

"What stands out here is that there's a cluster of four A-quadrant players that are pretty tightly bunched, all with above average athleticism and above average production. Not a big surprise to see (Ezekiel) Elliott and (Derrick) Henry show up here, but C.J. Prosise and Kenneth Dixon show up very well in this approach...

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...016-the-cowboys-rushing-attack-is-good-but-it

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
Society was greatly splintered back then...much more than the rampant criminal elements in today's social groups.

Society has always been splintered so answer me this, If we can't even fix ourselves
how in the Hell are we going to fix anyone else?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Society has always been splintered so answer me this, If we can't even fix ourselves
how in the Hell are we going to fix anyone else?

The point was not in conflict...but in different elements being voiced differently back then. Do you really understand the term right on? The alternative implied, was straight ahead...but applied to topic, and why analogies are used. No, not being dumb our requiring decoder rings...

Now, defined:

The Cowboys would be wise to get themselves an A-Quadrant running back in order to get their offense back to their dominating ways. That's another thing that we seem to be missing here as the rushing attack was good last year, it certainly was. What they do best though is dominating people with their running game, it makes every aspect that much more detrimental for opposing teams. Instead of preaching the gospel of this offensive line can turn average backs into good backs, let's get a good back behind this great offensive line and let that be the story. Don't settle for a good running game, make it the best running game. If by some chance Ezekiel Elliot is their choice in the first round, let them run with it. If they take one later, so be it, just make sure that running back can help them in their return to rushing dominance.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...016-the-cowboys-rushing-attack-is-good-but-it

Now, back to the looking down one's own nose...

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
The point was not in conflict...but in different elements being voiced differently back then. Do you really understand the term right on? The alternative implied, was straight ahead...but applied to topic, and why analogies are used. No, not being dumb our requiring decoder rings...

Never said it was in conflict merely made the point that society has always been broken
and that we ourselves are broken. So what good are we doing others when we can't
even get fixed?

Now, defined:

The Cowboys would be wise to get themselves an A-Quadrant running back in order to get their offense back to their dominating ways. That's another thing that we seem to be missing here as the rushing attack was good last year, it certainly was. What they do best though is dominating people with their running game, it makes every aspect that much more detrimental for opposing teams. Instead of preaching the gospel of this offensive line can turn average backs into good backs, let's get a good back behind this great offensive line and let that be the story. Don't settle for a good running game, make it the best running game. If by some chance Ezekiel Elliot is their choice in the first round, let them run with it. If they take one later, so be it, just make sure that running back can help them in their return to rushing dominance.

Dallas no doubt needs a runner who is consistent both in yards and in health, The days of just settling for
day old bread and thinking it's still good need to go, However given who calls the actual shots in Dallas
it's not likely that will be changing anytime soon I am afraid

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/3/26/11309024/dallas-cowboys-draft-2016-the-cowboys-rushing-attack-is-good-but-it
Now, back to the looking down one's own nose...

yes have fun with that

CCBoy

Reaction score
Never said it was in conflict merely made the point that society has always been broken
and that we ourselves are broken. So what good are we doing others when we can't
even get fixed?

Dallas no doubt needs a runner who is consistent both in yards and in health, The days of just settling for
day old bread and thinking it's still good need to go, However given who calls the actual shots in Dallas
it's not likely that will be changing anytime soon I am afraid

yes have fun with that

I was a dogface for 23 years...we just didn't have the time to be pessimistic. Simply stated, the ONLY thing we could count upon, was that no matter what it was, the second time around that it would change. But one kept driving on...and so do athletes.

Cowboys too. President Lyndon Johnson was once asked what it took to be a good Texas Ranger. He stated simply, a good Ranger gets knocked on his backside. He then gets back up and continues on with his mission...

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Great pass defense and/or great pass offense.

All four of teams involved in the SB you mentioned (Denver, Carolina, NE, Seattle) were Top 5 in either offensive or defensive passer rating. In fact, the same is true of 17 of the last 20 SB teams.

Likewise, 17 of the last 20 have ranked in the top 12 in passer rating differential.

Is defense period, stopping the run forces teams to pass but being able to stop the pass as well makes you great.

Dallas was top 5 defense in the passing game and 22 I think in the run. .....if what your saying is true then how come a top 5 passing defense team went 4-12

Many ways to win a superbowl. Not one set way

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Think those two examples through a bit more. Both are examples of the passing differential argument.

'Great defense' is relevant because it generally provides you with one half of the passing effectiveness differential equation.

So explain how Carolina stopped Denver from passing all over the field but lost the superbowl

gmoney112

Reaction score
So explain how Carolina stopped Denver from passing all over the field but lost the superbowl

Because pass rushers (a variable that effects ratings as well) got Cam to put the ball on the ground twice.

And Dallas wasn't a top 5 passing defense team in 2015, the defense allowed a passer rating of around 94, good for 20th. Carolina and Denver were both in the 70's. In 2014, we allowed a passer rating of 90.

Just for reference (DR = defensive rating, OR = offensive rating)

2015 Dallas had a 94 DR and a 76 OR for a -18 difference

2014 Dallas had a 90 DR and a 110 OR (#1 in the NFL actually, you're my boy Tony) for a +20 difference

That's a 38 point swing in passing differential.

There are many ways to win, sure. I'll give you that, that's why football is so fun. You just need to score more points than your opponent, period.

I think we can all agree a QB is important to winning in this league, right? Because passing differential (how much more efficiently you pass than your opponent) is just statistically a key to winning.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Did you watch it? Denver did a better job stopping CAR's passing than CAR did stopping Denver.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Did you watch it? Denver did a better job stopping CAR's passing than CAR did stopping Denver.

Did you watch it. ......here is some stats for you

Newton 265 yards passing

Manning 141 yards passing

Looks to me like panthers had more success passing the ball then Denver with over 124 more passing yards.

Carolina also had more rushing yards at 118 compared to Denver 90.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Because pass rushers (a variable that effects ratings as well) got Cam to put the ball on the ground twice.

And Dallas wasn't a top 5 passing defense team in 2015, the defense allowed a passer rating of around 94, good for 20th. Carolina and Denver were both in the 70's. In 2014, we allowed a passer rating of 90.

Just for reference (DR = defensive rating, OR = offensive rating)

2015 Dallas had a 94 DR and a 76 OR for a -18 difference

2014 Dallas had a 90 DR and a 110 OR (#1 in the NFL actually, you're my boy Tony) for a +20 difference

That's a 38 point swing in passing differential.

There are many ways to win, sure. I'll give you that, that's why football is so fun. You just need to score more points than your opponent, period.

I think we can all agree a QB is important to winning in this league, right? Because passing differential (how much more efficiently you pass than your opponent) is just statistically a key to winning.

Dallas most certainly was number 5 passing defense in the league with just under 220 yards passing allowed a game