Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

DTown214

Reaction score
We were never picking Elliott at 4.

Pretty much a foregone conclusion we're going Wentz/Goff at 4, whoever is left. If they're both there, it makes things interesting.

Oh man, that'd be an absolute nightmare. Wasting the number 4 pick on a guy who won't see the field for 3-4 years and may or may not even pan out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think there is something to having a certain type of player at RB. Not because it's what we did in the 60s or 70s or 80s or 90s but because it fits what we try to do scheme wise. We need certain types of players that fit what we do. In that regard, it does make sense IMO.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
If he steps in and starts from day one, how is the player a waste?

Your statement here is simple.

Draft for need and avoid one of the better players because of that.

Zeke will not start day one with McHammy and Morris on the team.

Swanny

Reaction score
I have BEEN VERY AGAINST a QB or RB at pick 4. I truly believe that RB's are a dime a dozen they are no longer worth a top ten pick. If I ran a franchise I would run a rookie into the ground while I have him for 4 years and then draft another one and run him into the ground. RB's are not worth big second contracts. When I think of a top 10 pick I think of a guy who I want on my team for ten years. RB's don last ten years anymore and in no way would I waste cap space on a large second contract for a RB. The only way I WOULD DO it is if the RB is a special rare bread like AP or Lynch. The more time passes by the more I think Zeke could be that special back. I have been very against drafting him. But the more I sit and think about it I really think he might be the best player available at pick 4 and he helps this team get its identity back. JUST SAY NO TO A QB. I could be wrong but I do not think any of the QB's this year are special. And at pick 4 a team SHOULD be getting a special player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Oh man, that'd be an absolute nightmare. Wasting the number 4 pick on a guy who won't see the field for 3-4 years and may or may not even pan out.

This I do not agree with. I remember the years after Danny White and after Troy Aikman. Those years were, by far, much worse then what we've seen these past few years. It set our organization back years.

You are right, there are no guarantees when you draft a QB but then again, there are no guarantees when you draft any player at any position. However, there is one thing that is pretty much a guarantee. It's pretty much guaranteed that if you don't have a QB, you aren't going to win in the NFL.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score

Never seeing the field? With Romo's situation and history? Any QB we draft is likely to see the field this season. Our inaction in free agency has determined that.

DTown214

Reaction score
This I do not agree with. I remember the years after Danny White and after Troy Aikman. Those years were, by far, much worse then what we've seen these past few years. It set our organization back years.

You are right, there are no guarantees when you draft a QB but then again, there are no guarantees when you draft any player at any position. However, there is one thing that is pretty much a guarantee. It's pretty much guaranteed that if you don't have a QB, you aren't going to win in the NFL.

But the thing is, we currently have a top 5 QB. Yes his health is a concern but we can't go into the season expecting him to get injured. We need to go all out these last few years... drafting a QB isn't the way to do that.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
This goes back over the last 10 seasons. In parentheses is the number of playoff wins for the team that season.

These teams led the NFL in Passer Rating Differential for the season listed.

Playoff wins: 18
2015 Seattle (1)
2014 Green Bay (1)
2013 Seattle (3)
2012 Green Bay (1)

2011 Green Bay
2010 Green Bay (4)
2009 New Orleans (3)
2008 Baltimore (2)
2007 New England (2)
2006 Philadelphia (1)

These teams' RB led the NFL in Rushing Yards for the season listed.

Playoff wins: 3
2015 Minnesota
2014 Dallas (1)
2013 Philadelphia
2012 Minnesota
2011 Jacksonville
2010 Houston
2009 Tennessee
2008 Minnesota
2007 San Diego (2)
2006 San Diego

And this proves what.... Those teams that had #1 passing attacks had good rushing attacks and they also had all pro future HOF QB's. (Rodgers, Brees, Brady and WIlson)

The teams with the highest rushing attacks minus Dallas all had horrible QB play except SD. Don't forget Dallas was basically 1 play from the NFC championship last year with the #1 rushing attack.

Most teams that make it to the Super Bowl normally have great head coaches, a good to great QB and a solid running game. We have Jason Garrett, McFadden, Morris and an aging QB coming off collarbone surgery again.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Buying thank you cards right now and sending them to Hardy and Gregory. Totally different attitude if Dallas trades down from the 4th though.

Last edited:

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
Ramsey may be there. I think Bosa goes to the Chargers. Tunsil should go #1 but there is a lot of talk about Ramsey being the pick. There is going to be a QB sitting there. And they cannot take the stance they do in free agency and not take your next franchise QB. You are either about the long game or you are not. Now perhaps they just don't rate Goff or Wentz, but they are gonna look pretty stupid if they are wrong.

Anyway, I'm all for QB, if not then Jack.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But the thing is, we currently have a top 5 QB. Yes his health is a concern but we can't go into the season expecting him to get injured. We need to go all out these last few years... drafting a QB isn't the way to do that.

I understand this but I don't think you can afford to plan for just one season if you are the GM of a team. We learned that lesson after Troy I hope. We chased a championship with an injured HOF QB, making FA signings and trades that were all designed to win now. The result was 10 years of disappointment and bad football. Cap hell that saw multiple drafts of not even having 1st round picks at a time when we should have been picking high. We haven't seen playoff success in 20 years so you could say that we are still feeling the effects of that strategy, even today. I just think that QB is too important to not plan for. I know our fan base is starved for a winning season, to the point that you might even say we have become desperate but now, more then ever, is the time to be smart about things. Drafting players that might help us win now is not a guarantee. Nothing is in the draft but I don't know that we could stand another 10 years of bad football. JMO

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
I notice another trend on those teams though they aren't all top 4 picks obv;) Great QBs take precedent over D @ 4 (Bosa is a SLE = Lawrence's position).

I don't believe Wilson, Flacco or Eli are "great" QBs. I think they are above ave QBs who had great Ds. Brees is great but only won the SB the year his D turned a large # of TOs into TDs. Brady is obviously great.

ilykdrama

Reaction score
Because we've done enough defensively this offseason that I think we're relatively happy adding a 2nd round talent to the defense as opposed to passing up on a franchise QB that high.

The only other two guys worthy of that pick - Jack and Ramsey - are guys that if they hit, they're probably two contract guys or free agents that walk after their rookie deal if we can't afford to give them that payday. A franchise quarterback that hits will be playing for us until he's 35, 36, 37 years old.

Very interesting points of view. I love Zeke, but at 4 in a rotational backfield.....That's tough. My fav. pick at 4 right now is Ramsey, no question. Bosa worries me a bit. I honestly think because he's a big white guy, he's being compared to much to JJ and he flashes at times, but it's not close. I understand picking Wentz at 4, even if he is a franchise QB, it's just a boring *** pick, selfishly. More boring then trading back. (I know that doesn't make sense, but I love watching the draft and reading the hype.) You just have to wait a FEW seasons for that Wentz pick to pay off. Love the draft. What a crazy time of the year.