CFZ Two Issues About Eagles Game That Needs Explaining

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Two issues that I can't quite wrap my head around in regard to the excuses, or alibis being made about the Eagles win.

1. Dak Prescott threw for over 300 yards in the game. He is the only QB to throw for over 300 yards against the Eagles this season. Kyler Murray is the next QB on the list at 250 yards.

2. The Eagles have the second best defense in the league. The same defense that gave up 300 yards and 40 points to Dak. After being spotted 10 points in the first quarter.

Now some may make the case the Eagles were missing players on their vaunted defense. But the laundry list of Cowboys who are on the walking wounded list is fairly significant, as well.

Hurts is a phenomenal player when he runs. That makes the RPO deadly. But the Dallas offense put up 40 points, and with a small bit of luck could have pushed that to 44 or more.

In both games this season, one team had their starting QB out for the game. The team with their starter won the game.

In the case of the Eagles, they still had the number two defense on the field. And yet the Dallas offense won the game. Even with the Eagles offense - who still had all their skill players but Hurts - put up 28 points.

If health is not a factor, why should the Cowboys fear the Eagles in a head to head rematch in the playoffs?

Sydla

Reaction score
Two issues that I can't quite wrap my head around in regard to the excuses, or alibis being made about the Eagles win.

1. Dak Prescott threw for over 300 yards in the game. He is the only QB to throw for over 300 yards against the Eagles this season. Kyler Murray is the next QB on the list at 250 yards.

2. The Eagles have the second best defense in the league. The same defense that gave up 300 yards and 40 points to Dak. After being spotted 10 points in the first quarter.

Now some may make the case the Eagles were missing players on their vaunted defense. But the laundry list of Cowboys who are on the walking wounded list is fairly significant, as well.

Hurts is a phenomenal player when he runs. That makes the RPO deadly. But the Dallas offense put up 40 points, and with a small bit of luck could have pushed that to 44 or more.

In both games this season, one team had their starting QB out for the game. The team with their starter won the game.

In the case of the Eagles, they still had the number two defense on the field. And yet the Dallas offense won the game. Even with the Eagles offense - who still had all their skill players but Hurts - put up 28 points.

If health is not a factor, why should the Cowboys fear the Eagles in a head to head rematch in the playoffs?

Fear?

Likely they shouldn’t. But it’s different playing Hurts versus Minshew. Second, the game would be up in Philly and who knows how weather would be a factor.

We’d definitely be an underdog in any rematch.

Sydla

Reaction score
What’s the status of Gardner Johnson for them? That’s a massive drop off for them at safety going from him to Blankenship.

pitt33

Reaction score
It’s all about the matchups.

Division opponent 2x/year every year. A lot of tape on each one. Get to know player/coaching tendencies.

It’s the non division teams that can really keep coaches up at night. Especially come playoffs.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Yes fear/respect but could beat them for sure.. last year game 1 against Hurts we also dropped 40 on that team , eagles have only beat dak twice since 2016.. so maybe Dak led cowboys have the eagle's 2nd guessing themselves. no dancing for Sirianno best part of that win.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Our Defense needs to roll it back to the October Defense. They have slowed the DE’s down to help in the run. They need to speed them back up. Dak has got to quit with the picks. But he diced them up after that.

Of course haters will say we one because they had a backup qb in. Last game we had a backup in.

I say our Defense needs to improve but they kept us in the game with the turnovers.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I'm not afraid of any team. My fear is that more regresses back to his old play call himself. He could decide to get away from what's working, in an effort to catch someone off guard.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, might not register in his little brain. And he'll go off plan thinking he's some kind of brilliant OC when in fact he's messing things up.

So Kellen Moore scares me more than any opponent we'd face. Heck, our inability to stop the run doesn't even scare me more than Kellen Moore. He's first, run stoppage is second.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Our Defense needs to roll it back to the October Defense. They have slowed the DE’s down to help in the run. They need to speed them back up. Dak has got to quit with the picks. But he diced them up after that.

Of course haters will say we one because they had a backup qb in. Last game we had a backup in.

I say our Defense needs to improve but they kept us in the game with the turnovers.
different game on the road in philly weather etc. so healthy respect and little fear is good to keep the Cowboys sharp.. it why i worry about the WC game maybe we don't fear that team enough

erod

Reaction score
This was basically an exhibition game for them.

Philly already has effectively wrapped up everything. The division, the No. 1 seed in the playoffs, home field. Dallas had more to play for.

The Eagles were missing key players, including the QB, then lost more of them early in the game.

And if Tyler Biadasz doesn't rip away that Dak fumble, the Eagles still clinch the formality last Sunday.

Philly will beat New Orleans Sunday and have two weeks to rest up for Dallas in the second round.

Then the real game happens between these two.

glimmerman

Reaction score
different game on the road in philly weather etc. so healthy respect and little fear is good to keep the Cowboys sharp.. it why i worry about the WC game maybe we don't fear that team enough
Was a crazy game. I missed it and had to record it. I think you’re right though. Healthy respect.

Silverstar

Reaction score
At least 3 games to play until we see them again correct?

A lot can happen personnel wise in that time.
Pretty sure Hankins and LVE will be back and that's a plus for our defense IMO.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
This was basically an exhibition game for them.

Philly already has effectively wrapped up everything. The division, the No. 1 seed in the playoffs, home field. Dallas had more to play for.

The Eagles were missing key players, including the QB, then lost more of them early in the game.

And if Tyler Biadasz doesn't rip away that Dak fumble, the Eagles still clinch the formality last Sunday.

Philly will beat New Orleans Sunday and have two weeks to rest up for Dallas in the second round.

Then the real game happens between these two.

They still need one more win. The longer they keep fiddling around and take an “L” the pressure and injuries will mount making it harder to secure the 1 seed. They left this game with key injuries including on the O line.

Reaction score

On the road with an anemic running game and a Charmin soft defense,,,, not good characteristics for a wild-card team that will be on the road every week. This Cowboys running game does well against weaker DLs but the playoffs are loaded with the opposite.