Two John Jay football players suspended for hit on referee - now ref pressing charges

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.ksat.com/sports/northside-isd-launches-investigation-after-players-hit-referee

Two John Jay football players suspended for hit on referee

MARBLE FALLS, Texas - The Northside Independent School District has launched an investigation after two John Jay High School football players ran into the back of a referee during their game Friday.

The incident happened in the 4th quarter of the team's game against Marble Falls High School in Marble Falls.

An NISD spokesperson said Sunday that the two students involved have been suspended from the team and from school. A hearing is scheduled for next week.

At the snap of the ball the first Jay player,Victor Rojas, runs into the back of referee Robert Watts as he watched the play unfold. A second player, Michael Moreno, appeared to target the official while he was on the ground.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What those kids did was criminal. It's not hard to prove premeditation and intent.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sure hope a coach wasn't involved .

There was already mention that the entire football season should be forfeited with play resuming next season.
Wow

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
050e4df59d59b555397304f60e1e734679a865-wm.jpg

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Referee who was viciously targeted by high schoolers wants to press charges
USA Today Sports
Luke Kerr-Dineen

Two players on the John Jay High School football team came under intense scrutiny after viciously targeting a referee during a game last weekend. The players were ejected from the game and later suspended from the team indefinitely as officials investigate the matter.

But the controversy is far from over. Speaking to ESPN, school officials said the referee in question is seriously considering pressing charges against the two players:

The referee was “very upset” and “wanting to press charges,” Austin Football Officials Association secretary Wayne Elliott said.

“The first thing we want is that those two kids never play football again,” said Elliott, who declined to release the referee’s name and added he was seeking guidance from the state officials association.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...h-schoolers-wants-to-press-charges/ar-AAe3tHu

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hitting an unprotected and unsuspecting person who is without pads or helmet, full force, while you have a helmet and pads on, could possibly paralyze or even kill the person.

Rogah

Reaction score
It amazes me how much the laws of our society tend to get thrown out the window when people are engaged in sporting events. For example, if I threw a ball 90 MPH at someone on the street in full view of a dozen police officers, I get hauled off to jail. But if some pitcher does it in a ballgame, they all just watch on.

What these kids did was cowardly and criminal. It was a sucker punch on a defenseless man. There should be real consequences for the perpetrators, including any adults who knew about or put them up to it.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Hitting an unprotected and unsuspecting person who is without pads or helmet, full force, while you have a helmet and pads on, could possibly paralyze or even kill the person.

It was very Warren Sapp-like.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It amazes me how much the laws of our society tend to get thrown out the window when people are engaged in sporting events. For example, if I threw a ball 90 MPH at someone on the street in full view of a dozen police officers, I get hauled off to jail. But if some pitcher does it in a ballgame, they all just watch on.

What these kids did was cowardly and criminal. It was a sucker punch on a defenseless man. There should be real consequences for the perpetrators, including any adults who knew about or put them up to it.

I wanted to like your post but I couldn't. If it was patriots and Brady you would be in here like Matlock.

Rogah

Reaction score
I wanted to like your post but I couldn't. If it was patriots and Brady you would be in here like Matlock.
While I enjoy living rent free in your head, you people need to compartmentalize.

This thread is about the San Antonio area football players, their actions, and the possible responses. Please show respect for the OP by keeping it on topic and not hijacking it into something else simply because I have an opinion.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
While I enjoy living rent free in your head, you people need to compartmentalize.

This thread is about the San Antonio area football players, their actions, and the possible responses. Please show respect for the OP by keeping it on topic and not hijacking it into something else simply because I have an opinion.

Assumption. Wholehearted.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score

DFWJC

Reaction score
Any proof yet that one of the coaches told them to do it?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any proof yet that one of the coaches told them to do it?

There are a couple of reports that an assistant coach said that the ref should pay for making a bad call. The specific quote does not allude to leveling the ref on the field. He's been put on administrative leave until their investigation is complete.

Even if the ref said some racist things, very, very poor way of handling it. Whatever the motive, I'd still kick them off the team and press charges.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There are a couple of reports that an assistant coach said that the ref should pay for making a bad call. The specific quote does not allude to leveling the ref on the field. He's been put on administrative leave until their investigation is complete.

Even if the ref said some racist things, very, very poor way of handling it. Whatever the motive, I'd still kick them off the team and press charges.

Yeah, their season is over. The next questions will be whether or not the HS careers are over or if there are criminal charges.
If a coach was involved it may change the harshness of the penalties though, not sure.
Scary stuff either way.