Two proven free agents who could help fix the LBer issues

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jerry has shown that he will fill needs with cheap free agents, so we won't just depend on the draft or UDFA. We'll also depend on free agents who are either washed up and cheap or unproven and cheap.
Jerry and I like that. :thumbup:

Reactions: CWR

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think you can rely on a draft pick to solve the LB position immediately. Overshown is an undersized, high motor guy that can help but he's not a true fix, especially inside.

Queen is obviously the prize but I have a better chance of a week on Jerry's yacht than of them even considering adding Queen and his expected massive contract. Three guys I would look at in FA that would fit in the mid-level area but would still help:

- Jewell
- Wagner
- Van Ginkel

I think they'd be wise to add one of the above. It also wouldn't preclude you from still taking a LB in this draft. But far too often this franchise thinks they can draft a guy and it solves our problem immediately (cough, cough Mazi Smith). They have to add a LB in FA. Shoot, even bringing in a guy like Dru Tranquill would help, although while physical, he's a smallish guy.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Zeke's dead money would have paid for Wagner, or another decent FA LB.

Last edited:

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
No thanks on Wagner. He constantly go beat in coverage and washed on run plays last season. Not the same player he once was.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
jerry said thanks for helping him out and looking, but he will pass. He's looking for something cheaper. Seventh-round or UDFA is our style, if all the hurt ones are taken. lol
There were a few years where they prioritized (settled for) guys that were practice squad players for bad teams. There was a run of Jacksonville and Houston players. Heck, we once traded for a Texans defensive lineman who had been cut three times in the past month before the trade.

Them clever Jones Boys.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Since we have Jerry, we will likely get one real starter out of FA, if we are lucky.

Assuming, we can get one, would you prefer one of these LBs, like Jewell, and then resign Hankins for cheap to play the nose?
Or, sign Reader at NT and then get a journeyman or draft pick on an LB?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Since we have Jerry, we will likely get one real starter out of FA, if we are lucky.

Assuming, we can get one, would you prefer one of these LBs, like Jewell, and then resign Hankins for cheap to play the nose?
Or, sign Reader at NT and then get a journeyman or draft pick on an LB?
I'd be fine with either, but would prefer an veteran LB between the two. The track record of rookie LBs contributing is dismal - even future studs will struggle early on - so adding a rookie LB is pretty much adding no LB for 2024.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Wagner isn't an option, writers need to stop, and go research some other LBs..seems lazy.

Cashman would be soild as at WILB, the Texans had good LB play, plus I think Perryman is an UFA too at MLB.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
May be the perfect storm for Patrick Queen.

He lost 4 defensive coaches in Baltimore and he may want to get out of Roquan Smith's shadow.

Let McClay handle the contract and not Cap Boy, and you might have a chance.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Market value is $7.6 per. Think thats a bit rich for Stephen⁹

There were a few years where they prioritized (settled for) guys that were practice squad players for bad teams. There was a run of Jacksonville and Houston players. Heck, we once traded for a Texans defensive lineman who had been cut three times in the past month before the trade.

Them clever Jones Boys.
The last time I checked, cap boy is still here.

Sydla

Reaction score
May be the perfect storm for Patrick Queen.

He lost 4 defensive coaches in Baltimore and he may want to get out of Roquan Smith's shadow.

Let McClay handle the contract and not Cap Boy, and you might have a chance.
No chance. He's going to get a massive contract, it won't matter who negotiates it. Spotrac projects him as an AAV around $18.5MM (5 years, $92MM)

Sydla

Reaction score
He'd be awesome but honestly, given where we are right now and how stingy we can be in FA, if they ended up with a guy like Jewell, I'd be pretty happy. Maybe bring in a quality vet DT and you might have something there. I'd even entertain bringing in a second, cheaper FA LB as well maybe a guy like Dru Tranquill. Then when the draft comes you aren't forced to grab a LB early. You can let the board play out more.