Two things that still baffle me

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
run blocking is dismal. and our O line is intact. Coaching?

I think a lot has to do with our run scheme in general. We’re a heavy draw team and our alignments are stale. I have a feeling we are giving “tells” based on our formation given the amount of defensive penetration and TFL our run game racks up.

I will also be the foreteller as I’ve been with Jaylon, Zeke, Ferguson, and others….Biadasz is a middling NFL center. Yes, you can’t have a steak on every plate but we can definitely try to upgrade the position with a player that’s not so limited physically.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The lining up offsides thing is just incredibly stupid. We lead the league in offsides penalties and it’s not even close. Going into last night’s game we had twice as many as any team in the league.

Big Mac and Quinn either aren’t addressing this or just don’t care enough to make it a priority. If this team wants to win playoff games that alone will kill them. Details matter.

Regarding the OL - I think the run blocking has been poor all season. And…Expecting a smallish RB like Pollard to be a power back who wears people down is not realistic. Pollard is best when paired with another back. He’s just not a feature back who gets 18-20 carries a game.

It’s maddening.

You see it pre-snap and you hold your breath thinking maybe the refs didn’t catch it or are letting it go, but to no, it gets called everytime.

kskboys

Reaction score
I know you dont want to admit this but the reality is that it is not baffling at all. When the defense knows you cant run it makes it easier for them to stop the pass with the compressed field

Get a real RB and passing windows will open

Its not baffling at all
Agree completely.

Chargers have this problem also w/ lightly built Ekeler. Good RB, but just not an inside back.

Why in the world do we refuse to run Luepke? Makes no sense. He's our only inside RB. How is he not getting 3-6 carries/game?

kskboys

Reaction score
I think a lot has to do with our run scheme in general. We’re a heavy draw team and our alignments are stale. I have a feeling we are giving “tells” based on our formation given the amount of defensive penetration and TFL our run game racks up.

I will also be the foreteller as I’ve been with Jaylon, Zeke, Ferguson, and others….Biadasz is a middling NFL center. Yes, you can’t have a steak on every plate but we can definitely try to upgrade the position with a player that’s not so limited physically.
I think Biadasz is better as a backup type. He's not terrible, but just doesn't have the skillset to be dominant.

visionary

Reaction score
Agree completely.

Chargers have this problem also w/ lightly built Ekeler. Good RB, but just not an inside back.

Why in the world do we refuse to run Luepke? Makes no sense. He's our only inside RB. How is he not getting 3-6 carries/game?
Thing is, you need a RB who can run inside and outside
Should have got Swift when Philly grabbed him

Creeper

Reaction score
Dante Fowler leads the league in offside penalties. I think he had 4 before last night's game. I believe he had 2 more last night. Most of them are lining up offsides. This is inexcusable and the coaches have to get on him about this. If he cannot correct the problem then he needs to be benched.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think Biadasz is better as a backup type. He's not terrible, but just doesn't have the skillset to be dominant.

Agreed. I would even say you can use him as a starter but he’s going to be a part of 2-3 negative plays. His contract is coming up and I’m afraid the team is going to extend/resign him to a multi-year contract.

Him getting completely dusted off the line by a DT is becoming a weekly replay.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dante Fowler leads the league in offside penalties. I think he had 4 before last night's game. I believe he had 2 more last night. Most of them are lining up offsides. This is inexcusable and the coaches have to get on him about this. If he cannot correct the problem then he needs to be benched.

Bro, Fowler did not have 4 penalties let alone 4 offsides calls last night.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Penalties and our RZ offense, especially inside the 10.

We got away with it last night but you can’t continue to make the dumb penalties we do in the postseason. The number of times we line up or jump offsides on 3rd down is comical at this point, for example.

The RZ offense is just weird. We could have dropped 50+ on them if we weren’t so feeble inside the 10. Is it Pollard? Who knows. On our first trip inside the 10, the ran him on first down and he had nowhere to go. Is it the OL? Maybe but it’s puzzling how you can’t muster and adequate RZ run game when you have Martin and Tyler and even a healthy Tyron. McCarthy? I have no idea.
Sydia, I know exactly what you mean. The penalties on O-Line fall completely on coaching. I do not like the O-Line coach. He is better than the last one at pass blocking at times but the combo of the O-Line coach and MM playcalling is killing me. Our run game has suffered since MM has been here and we have had problems with the O-Line. We need a good O-Line coach, our players are healthy and talented there is no excuse for the penalties, especially in the red zone. Daks yelling “here we go” for a reason.

Now the red zone problems inside the 5 yard line is play calling. I have never screamed at the TV so much as last night. And it was at play calling inside the 5. MM refuses to do a couple of things.

1 - Not sure if JJ is making him start Pollard or not. But MM will run Pollard straight up the middle all the way to the 5 yard line. Then he won’t take the shortest distance to the goal line and try the middle. I watched him run off tackle last night from the 2 yard line. He has to run a bigger back earlier in the game up the middle. Once we start using Dowdle then it opens up for Pollard later but they refuse to use a bigger back until late in the 2nd or the 3rd quarter. MM is missing lots of run yards early. We had Lupke in the game but he never got the ball. Answer… Use a bigger back up the middle on the goal line. And if you’re gonna pound the middle early in the game use a bigger back. Pollard will do his thing later in the game. We don’t have Elliot anymore. That’s just how important a RB like that is to a team.

2 - We need a O-Line coach that’s good at run blocking. And can coach the penalties away. This won’t fly against good teams. It cost us egirls game.

It’s becoming a psychological thing for the team when they get inside the 10. Last night Dak rarely used his feet for some reason. MM needs to find an answer and I think it’s a bigger back. I was one in favor or getting a big RB but thought we would be using Luepke for that and that’s why we never got one. Luepke has 3 runs all season. 1 of those runs is a TD FROM THE 4 YARD LINE. Use him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Thing is, you need a RB who can run inside and outside
Should have got Swift when Philly grabbed him
I never understood going into the season w/ a spell back as the starter. I wanted Charbonnet in the draft, but SEA took him before we drafted in the 2nd. Not that we would've been smart enough to take him!!!

Loso86

Reaction score
Penalties and our RZ offense, especially inside the 10.

We got away with it last night but you can’t continue to make the dumb penalties we do in the postseason. The number of times we line up or jump offsides on 3rd down is comical at this point, for example.

The RZ offense is just weird. We could have dropped 50+ on them if we weren’t so feeble inside the 10. Is it Pollard? Who knows. On our first trip inside the 10, the ran him on first down and he had nowhere to go. Is it the OL? Maybe but it’s puzzling how you can’t muster and adequate RZ run game when you have Martin and Tyler and even a healthy Tyron. McCarthy? I have no idea.
Agreed but give them props. A winning team they found a way to win like the other " championship quality teams" do. Not too mention 3 games in 13 days.

Plankton

Reaction score
This team sucks at attention to detail. Whether it's lining up properly, giving too much cushion on third and under five pass plays, getting depth at the safety position when a WR is running a post pattern or coaches not understanding the concept keeping a clock running under two minutes when the other team is out of timeouts, these are the things that will not allow you to beat teams that are as good or superior to you. It is not an issue when you are punching down, but this continues to plague them with seemingly no care on the part of the head coach to fix it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The Cowboys still can't run the ball. My goodness poor Pollard gets TFL or gains 1 or 2 yards right up the middle continuously. When the Cowboys run on 3rd and 1 it's easy to see they come up with a creative play because they know what will happen if they send Tony or Rico up the middle. The OL is doing a good job with pass protection. But the run game is subpar because there simply aren't holes for the RB's.
We need a bigger back to hit those linemen for a while. Elliot was very effective at doing that. We needed a bigger back. Dowdle can do the job but MM refuses to run him early. Notice after Dowdle comes in for a few series Pollard all sudden starts getting yards. They are running Pollard 20+ times a game and it’s a mistake. I think it’s JJ making MM use him because he is paying him starter money. Mean while Luepke don’t get none..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Luepke.. 6 foot 1 and 240 pounds. He can be a hammer. Dowdle is 5 foot 11 and around 217 or 220. He could be used. Either one but freaking use one of them early and often if your gonna run up the middle. And on goal line run them. Let Pollard have a series or 2 in the 1st half and then let him loose in the second half..

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The mind blowing part to me was the 3rd down call where they elected to pass instead of running it on 3rd and 3 when SEA had no TO"s left. I feel the better percentage play was to try and run for 3 yards and kill the clock and THEN kick the FG. Maybe this is why I am not an NFL coach and I just watch on TV?
That was an overly aggressive and ill advised play call.

rambo2

Reaction score
I know you dont want to admit this but the reality is that it is not baffling at all. When the defense knows you cant run it makes it easier for them to stop the pass with the compressed field

Get a real RB and passing windows will open

Its not baffling at all
How did Pollard get that touchdown?

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The pre-snap penalties are the most frustrating.

Fundamental things like guys lining up offsides at this point of the season is gonna eventually cost them an important game
You mean like the playoff game against SF a couple seasons ago??