Twitter: Tyler Smith allowed one pressure vs Jalen Carter

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you're confusing Carter with last year's first round selection, Jordan Davis. Carter is definitely in there on pass rush downs. He's a demon on the inside.
Admittedly I can't say for sure what situations he plays in, but I did look up stats. He is credited with zero starts, and was actually only in on 43% of the defensive snaps against Dallas. He also never had more than 3 sacks in a season in college, so I'm confident saying his pass rushing ability wasn't the thing that got him drafted as high as he was.

That said, I'm not at all knocking Smith. He did a great job, and is looking like a very good player for Dallas. But it's not as if he were facing Carter every down, or as if Carter has established himself as a standout in the NFL. He's a developing 1st year player.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why I have no problem using 1st round picks on the OL.
Would not mind getting 2 OL next year, and one in the top 2 rounds.
Of course need to look at Tyron replacement but is it too soon to look for Martin’s as well?
Unless they feel they have one on the roster now. I know most fans don’t think so. Myself, I am not really sure, but lean more that they do not.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Of course need to look at Tyron replacement but is it too soon to look for Martin’s as well?
Unless they feel they have one on the roster now. I know most fans don’t think so. Myself, I am not really sure, but lean more that they do not.
Agree. The challenge is that we had 3 HOF caliber players on the OL, and that's hard to replace. Biadisz is ok but he is no Frederick. Tyler Smith is playing great, so maybe you have replaced one HOF guard for another high calibre. RT has been shaky for years. Tyron Smith is still great but idk how we replace him either.

It's tough that the OL was for years as great as it was and is still upper tier but we have not seen more for those investments, and now we are faced with replacing many of those parts.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Admittedly I can't say for sure what situations he plays in, but I did look up stats. He is credited with zero starts, and was actually only in on 43% of the defensive snaps against Dallas. He also never had more than 3 sacks in a season in college, so I'm confident saying his pass rushing ability wasn't the thing that got him drafted as high as he was.

That said, I'm not at all knocking Smith. He did a great job, and is looking like a very good player for Dallas. But it's not as if he were facing Carter every down, or as if Carter has established himself as a standout in the NFL. He's a developing 1st year player.
No, friend. You are quite mistaken. Carter has elite pass rush skills for an intertior lineman. Some thought generational. They are indeed what got him drafted in the top 10. He'd almost certainly have been the 3rd pick overall, since he was the consensus best player in the draft (based, again, largely upon his pass rush skills), were it not for character concerns.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, friend. You are quite mistaken. Carter has elite pass rush skills for an intertior lineman. Some thought generational. They are indeed what got him drafted in the top 10. He'd almost certainly have been the 3rd pick overall, since he was the consensus best player in the draft (based, again, largely upon his pass rush skills), were it not for character concerns.
6 sacks in 44 games in college says otherwise.

He was thought of as a strong pass rusher for an interior lineman coming out of college, not a generational one. That wasn't the projection. The projection was a strong all around interior lineman who can play both run and pass at a high level.

And regardless of where he was picked, things start over in the NFL. Players aren't automatically stars in the NFL because they were college stars.

As it is, he has been a good rotational piece in the Philly D-Line, and his future looks bright, but he is not a starter, or an every down player, and is not established as a dominant one.

Gambit

Reaction score
I'm happy with Tyler Smith, but this is kind of a bogus piece of praise. Jalen Carter only plays 53% of the defensive snaps and probably doesn't even play on clear passing downs. He was drafted as a big body against the run, not as a pass rusher.

And, as someone else pointed out, that isn't even Carter that Smith is blocking in the video
Perhaps rereading will help, really zoom in on the part about 0 losses against Carter in run game, since you want to dismiss his pass defense numbers.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Smith is a bully. If he can do similar things to Hargreaves and set the tone against the 'Niners' interior D-line, it'll go a long way towards neutralizing the advantage in toughness they've had over us the past few years.
The Cowboys will have a granite left side of the offensive line and can break up San Francisco's tendencies with them there. A lot of techniques can be further used on the right side to open things up there as well. Play selection, movement pre snap, and even two tight ends.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
6 sacks in 44 games in college says otherwise.

He was thought of as a strong pass rusher for an interior lineman coming out of college, not a generational one. That wasn't the projection. The projection was a strong all around interior lineman who can play both run and pass at a high level.

And regardless of where he was picked, things start over in the NFL. Players aren't automatically stars in the NFL because they were college stars.

As it is, he has been a good rotational piece in the Philly D-Line, and his future looks bright, but he is not a starter, or an every down player, and is not established as a dominant one.
He’s probably got the inside track for defensive rookie of the year. He has looked dominant at times.

And you don’t get drafted near the top of the draft as a DT unless you have elite pass rush skills. His hurries and QB hits his junior and, especially sophomore, seasons were more reflective of that than his sack totals.

None of this is really up for debate. Just go back and read the scouting reports. It’s ok: you had some confusion. No point in digging your heels in on this one.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A top level C/G at the very top would be worth it's weight in gold. An offensive tackle could even wait to 2025 then.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps rereading will help, really zoom in on the part about 0 losses against Carter in run game, since you want to dismiss his pass defense numbers.
First, you have to recognize I wasn't putting Smith down, and in no way suggested he didn't do a good job. I was merely pointing out that this was a little lacking on the full story.

And you can't ignore that the headline was on the 0 pressures, or the fact that Carter only played 43% of the snaps against the Cowboys. I'm not sure, but he may not have even been straight up on Smith every down he was in.

Carter is a good, developing rookie player in the Eagles D-Line rotation, not currently a standout or every down player. I just thought that part of the story should be considered

CCBoy

Reaction score
:clap:I'd take him at any point in the next 5 years if a deal was achieved.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s probably got the inside track for defensive rookie of the year. He has looked dominant at times.

And you don’t get drafted near the top of the draft as a DT unless you have elite pass rush skills. His hurries and QB hits his junior and, especially sophomore, seasons were more reflective of that than his sack totals.

None of this is really up for debate. Just go back and read the scouting reports. It’s ok: you had some confusion. No point in digging your heels in on this one.
First, you need to get over the belief that I have indicated Carter isn't a good player. I haven't. As I've said, he is a good part of the Eagles rotation with a bright future.

Remember you suggesting I may have gotten Carter confused with Jordan Davis? I didn't, but Davis himself disproves your point that you can't get drafted near the top of the draft without elite pass rushing skills. Davis was only drafted 5 spots behind Carter, and he was not, and is not, an elite pass rusher. Then there is Derrick Brown, who was drafted #7 overall a few years ago. A good pass rusher from the interior, but miles from "elite"

That said, I agree that to be drafted high a DT needs to have strong pass rush ability, but if he is an overall player against the run and the pass it doesn't take being an "elite" pass rusher, or a "generational" one like you claimed. There aren't a lot of Aaron Donald's running around, and Carter was not projected to be at that level.

And, again, draft position becomes irrelevant once in the pros. High draft picks can fail, and lower ones can succeed. Clearly Carter is doing well as a rookie, and has a bright future, but we can't call him elite at this point. Hell, the Eagles aren't even doing that, otherwise he would get more snaps. Elite players aren't limited to 43% of the snaps in a key game

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:clap:I'd take him at any point in the next 5 years if a deal was achieved.
I wouldn't say I would take any player at any point in the next 5 years - who knows where things will be 4-5 years from now?

But sure, I would love to have Carter now. That doesn't mean he is suddenly Aaron Donald though, which is the way it seems some think of him. For now he's a strong young player with a bright future.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’ve always thought he could be a legit pro bowl guard or a good LT. I’d keep him inside myself and draft a tackle. I also think Tyron will be back next year
PFF has Tyron as an elite LT in 21 and 23, but his worst year ever in 2022.

Contract talks could get interesting. Will probably want a big bump after his great performance this year. Will probably get it too.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
Him playing at LG is sooooo much more to his strengths than LT. We still need to find our tackle of the future but if we can maybe get another year or two out of Tyron, we are cooking with fire.
Damnit Tyron……dude is playing like an all pro this year….its just the injuries!! So frustrating.