News: Tyler Smith Embracing Advice From Jason Peters

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes, peters talking to Tyler for 15 min will make him all pro. So stupid, guy either has it and wants it or doesn’t it’s that simple. Doesn’t matter who speaks to him or teaches him, it’s on the individual.

I'm sure he wants it, and it is down to the individual and staying healthy. However, having Peters can certainly help with his style, especially as they play a similar style of tackle.

Reactions: BAT

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Peters is on PS meaning , he wont be on the sideline game time , correct ?

If he is allowed to be there , he can probably give some pointers to Tyler depending on what TB DEs are doing .

If he shows well, he might get called up the day before the game.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Yeah, when you’re injured in football, you’re just not around the guys who are playing very much. Players talk about how hard it is to suddenly not be part of anything while they’re rehabbing. They aren’t in meetings and aren’t part of practice. It gets lonely for them.

I mean I’m sure Tyron will see Tyler some around the Star… but he won’t have a lot of chances to mentor Tyler this season.

That's why Sean Lee when injured for season was so unique because he became a literal position coach on the sidelines. LVE rook season was magical with Lee in his ear.

But Lee did that in college too.

Lee will make an amazing LB coach one day imo.

Peters is similar to Lee in this way.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That's why Sean Lee when injured for season was so unique because he became a literal position coach on the sidelines. LVE rook season was magical with Lee in his ear.

But Lee did that in college too.

Lee will make an amazing LB coach one day imo.

Peters is similar to Lee in this way.

Exactly, and, when the oline (outside of Martin, obviously) is as young and inexperienced as this one is, having a coach in uniform like Peters can be invaluable. Especially with Philbin being a crap coach.

jrumann59

Reaction score
IMHO Peters will be starting at LT and it is not a knock on Tyler but a knock on who is at LG when Tyler is playing LT.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Even if he doesn't play a snap (assuming that is because Smith and McGovern have it handled), he's worth whatever we are paying him. Having him in the young OL's ears along with Zack is huge. They will learn so much.

Not saying that Tyron isn't a mentor but he's really not someone who talks much.

Gonna be valuable in the film room, breaking down Smith's inevitable mistakes, and helping him understand how to change his technique to avoid future mistakes. Honestly, while I expect Tyler Smith to be pretty good on some plays, I expect him to be a hot mess on other plays. The important factor is how quickly he can learn and correct his mistakes. Peters and Tyron should be able to help him accelerate the inevitable learning curve. Tyler Smith ultimately has to do it on his own, but the steeper the learning curve, the faster he gets up to speed. That can only accrue to the benefit of the team.

Of course, I highly doubt Tyler will be quite as good as Tyron, unless he can develop his technique like Peters has done. Tyron's arms are about 2-1/2" longer, which is a huge factor in keeping defenders at bay, and Tyler Smith isn't going to be able to grow out longer arms.