Twitter: Tyler Smith pancakes Osa

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think moving Smith to Guard was an excellent move by the coaching staff. I don't think well see the holds he was getting called at Tackle. Kid is very physicals and regardless of how some seem to feel I think physicality was sorely needed. Franky I did not see holding on this play or the play on Hill nor did the refs who were brought in.
This is all common sense stuff.
A bunch of rent a scout whiners saw his penalty totals and freaked out but those holds were generally versus dudes 220 pounds that won't touch the NFL.
I am fairly sure Tyler would hold Micah on the edge as well but inside with far less space to be worried about an ability to fire off the ball he is going to maul folks.

I do not really see this kid as an LT as that takes a projection (insane technique improvement, added balance and foot quickness) I can't make but he can absolutely be a Pro Bowl regular at guard starting day 1.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is all common sense stuff.
A bunch of rent a scout whiners saw his penalty totals and freaked out but those holds were generally versus dudes 220 pounds that won't touch the NFL.
I am fairly sure Tyler would hold Micah on the edge as well but inside with far less space to be worried about an ability to fire off the ball he is going to maul folks.

I do not really see this kid as an LT as that takes a projection (insane technique improvement, added balance and foot quickness) I can't make but he can absolutely be a Pro Bowl regular at guard starting day 1.

True, Conner Williams would get pushed back, get off balance and end up holding. Smith is firing out and blowing people up. Those are not holds, he has his hands inside of the pads

blueblood70

Reaction score

And before some of you start, no this is not a hold. It’s not a hold if you aren’t trying to disengage. That’s 2 days in a row he has flattened a dlineman. This boy has the JUICE

but this time noone can HATE on HILL..maybe its this new kid is going to be good one from day one..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You start pancaking guys and you get away with the hold.
You tackle guys because they keep body-slamming you, see CWill, then you get the hold.

Guessing a lot of you guys never watched Larry Allen play. He put in hands in those exact locations many times and walked into the Hall of Fame.
Now can Tyler move his feet like LA , of course not. But good OL play is about moving people and Tyler moves people.

I think he will get there, but, so far so good from him.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Sure, but its still a borderline hold. And you can bet some refs are going to call it. The ONLY way he is able to do that is by grabbing his jersey and not letting go. You can also bet that there will be opposing lineman that know how to flop, if you will, and will trying as hard as they can to sell it.

Time will tell. I love the kid and the pick, but we dont know how the NFL is going to react to these kinds of pancakes. He will either get a reputation for holding or it could go the other way.

are you aware that they have refs at practice?

Jarntt

Reaction score
The idiocy of some Cowboy fans (not necessarily on here) who think because this guy was called for a lot of penalties in College that refs will be looking at him closer than other players is just asinine. I'm not saying he won't get a lot of penalties but I am saying if you think the refs are thinking about penalties called on him in College during an NFL game you are just so far off base.

Further, IMO, that is likely fixable when you get a guy in an NFL camp and work on his technique, not to mention playing OG instead of OT where he isn't reaching as much. Every player comes into the league with plusses and minuses and if this is the biggest negative from a guy's College career, sign me up because it isn't necessarily an indicator of what he will do in the NFL like lack of strength or quickness or being lazy is. People will literally criticize anything. Be concerned like with any young OL, but don't go overboard. If in year 2 he is getting a lot of penalties I'll worry about it.

shabazz

Reaction score
Your reality looks funny when you live your entire life according to slant, doesn't it? Lol.

Lighten up Francis…..just makin a joke. Didn’t mean to hit a nerve

……and yes, I do slant to the right

and the lol doesn’t necessarily imply light heartedness…..can also imply hurt. I’m truly sorry

kevm3

Reaction score
This kid has a ton of power as evidenced by his college footage and it looks like he will carry it into the NFL. The main issue everyone is worried about is penalties. Him pancaking guys is awesome, but he has to be careful because a ton of these holds end up being something 'subjective' to the ref and if it even 'looks' like a hold, they will probably call it due to the refs being trigger happy with the cowboys for whatever reason. This block against Osa doesn't look like it'd draw a penalty, but the one against Trystan Hill looks like it could. They'll have to tell him that it's fine to be aggressive, but be careful about his tendency to hook onto these guys and slam them on the ground. Push up and push them back, but don't get overly aggressive and slam guys in the ground if you don't have to.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought McCarthy was gonna teach our o-line how to "hold" without getting a penalty like he did in Green Bay. :muttley:

cmoney23

Reaction score

And before some of you start, no this is not a hold. It’s not a hold if you aren’t trying to disengage. That’s 2 days in a row he has flattened a dlineman. This boy has the JUICE

This is not only a holding penalty, it's a clear and obvious holding penalty. To call it a "pancake" block is insulting to offensive linemen everywhere. This is a tackle. It shouldn't be celebrated.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think the opposite actually. I defended yesterday's play as clean and think this one might be a hold especially on a run up the middle. Once 97 did the swim move, Smith held on to his left shoulder pad too long. Still, Smith looked pretty stout up to that point. If he can work out his techniques, he looks good on limited film so far.

Thats the thing may be a hold may not but when your feet get beat thats when the flags come out and to me his feet got beat to the inside....he is rookie though he still looks good and will get better.

Kinda like taking a charge in BB...you may have been plated but if they beat you to the spot your gettign called for a foul.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I guess he should be taught to push the defender off and not continue to pull him once the defender tries to disengage sideways, at that point it becomes a hold and the way Osa fell made it look like even more hold.

But McCarthy’s GB OL got away with much worse tackling back in the days , it seems that Cowboys will be held to a different standard.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Pancaking someone while they're trying to swim move is pretty easy tbh. Too early to judge either way and like the pick.

Hardline

Reaction score
The "Tyler Smith" penalty rule coming soon.

Another Cowboy responsible for a rule change.

CoachD

Reaction score
Pancake block huh so is that how we're going to describe a hold now because the Cowboy's offense just got backed up ten.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
True, Conner Williams would get pushed back, get off balance and end up holding. Smith is firing out and blowing people up. Those are not holds, he has his hands inside of the pads

Yep, much rather see this than what we have seen in the past. The camera angles and distance make it hard to be sure if a hold or not....but he definitely isn't getting pushed arpund, which some people were worried about after seeing the one picture of him.