Tyler Smith

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Lewis Cine was also a 1 year wonder and had injury issues. I see why they did what they did.

He's a safety, though, and they've always passed on safeties early in drafts in favor of other positions.

But, Lewis Cine was a good player. I agree. I just think time will tell as far as who ends up being a better player, because Cine was on an outstanding defense.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
100% and it goes back to my thread ahead of the draft that talked about them telegraphing their pick due to their approach to free agency.

I don’t even mind the pick but folks are getting hurt feelings because Smith is a project.

If anything the FO masked their pick pretty well, the rumors were Green (and to a lesser extent Johnson)....Smith's name only started coming out on the Wednesday/Thursday, which is way too late for a team to change their draft strategy (though the Titans tried).

I like factoring in the positional need (and projection). and traits. It's a gamble, but it possibly resolves the two big issues....LG in 2022 and Tyron's replacement (which may include Tyron amending his contract in 2023, ala DLaw).

As a floor we've got a more dynamic presence at LG, and as our O-Line is one of the two major weaknesses of the team it becomes a sensible pick , whereas a Safety upgrade from Hooper / Wilson / Kearse is nice it's hardly near top of the list.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If anything the FO masked their pick pretty well, the rumors were Green (and to a lesser extent Johnson)....Smith's name only started coming out on the Wednesday/Thursday, which is way too late for a team to change their draft strategy (though the Titans tried).

I like factoring in the positional need (and projection). and traits. It's a gamble, but it possibly resolves the two big issues....LG in 2022 and Tyron's replacement (which may include Tyron amending his contract in 2023, ala DLaw).

As a floor we've got a more dynamic presence at LG, and as our O-Line is one of the two major weaknesses of the team it becomes a sensible pick , whereas a Safety upgrade from Hooper / Wilson / Kearse is nice it's hardly near top of the list.

Not really accurate. Broaddus mentioned Tyler Smith as a name he was hearing the team was interested back in March. Beyond that, the point of the thread I referenced was the team pigeon-holing itself into a particular position, not a particular player.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Not really accurate. Broaddus mentioned Tyler Smith as a name he was hearing the team was interested back in March. Beyond that, the point of the thread I referenced was the team pigeon-holing itself into a particular position, not a particular player.

I agree that they telegraphed the need for a Guard and could of used further smoke and mirrors by keeping La'el and insisting they'd look to switch him inside.

Broaddus may have mentioned Smith but he didnt go on, and on, and on about Smith as he normally does when he gets someone in his head, indeed if there was any Guard he persisted on was Ingram (until Dane started saying he wasnt as high on him).

Nothing wrong with a project, all draft picks are projects, especially when drafting at 24. It appears (with no other FA activity) that the coaching staff can see him plugging in at LG....its not a high bar to improve on the latter part of the season.

Looking at Brugler (and McShay's) early 2023 mocks, both have only 3 OT's going in the first round....maybe that played a part in taking Tyron's eventual heir a year early?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I agree that they telegraphed the need for a Guard and could of used further smoke and mirrors by keeping La'el and insisting they'd look to switch him inside.

Broaddus may have mentioned Smith but he didnt go on, and on, and on about Smith as he normally does when he gets someone in his head, indeed if there was any Guard he persisted on was Ingram (until Dane started saying he wasnt as high on him).

Nothing wrong with a project, all draft picks are projects, especially when drafting at 24. It appears (with no other FA activity) that the coaching staff can see him plugging in at LG....its not a high bar to improve on the latter part of the season.

Looking at Brugler (and McShay's) early 2023 mocks, both have only 3 OT's going in the first round....maybe that played a part in taking Tyron's eventual heir a year early?

The difference was Broaddus was saying that Tyler Smith was the name he was hearing the Cowboys had interest in from his sources. He was mentioning Ingram only as a guy that he liked.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The difference was Broaddus was saying that Tyler Smith was the name he was hearing the Cowboys had interest in from his sources. He was mentioning Ingram only as a guy that he liked.

I cant remember Broaddus going on about him, may well have mentioned him, as he does a fair few names....it still doesnt change the fact that until a day before the draft there wasnt a mass clamouring or even discussion on Smith.....that fact remains that the FO hid their interest not even inviting him to the 30 visits nor as far as aware, the Dallas Day events.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I cant remember Broaddus going on about him, may well have mentioned him, as he does a fair few names....it still doesnt change the fact that until a day before the draft there wasnt a mass clamouring or even discussion on Smith.....that fact remains that the FO hid their interest not even inviting him to the 30 visits nor as far as aware, the Dallas Day events.

So what if you don't remember Broaddus "going on about him?"

Broaddus mentioned him specifically by name as a guy he knew they were interested in him. Full stop.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Good points. Tyler could play guard like Parsons played pass rusher. There are still YouTubers who say Parsons was not a better pure linebacker then JOK and the Kansas City kid.:huh: I said it before the Cowboys brought Tyler here to open up the run game. His job is to lead Zeke through the holes. Tyler is almost 30lbs bigger the Conner Williams.
So many of these folks killing this Smith pick had the same feeling about Parsons last year. Parsons was without question the best defensive player in last year’s draft and that’s without knowing that he had elite pass rushing traits. Which virtually every expert missed. Folks here wanted JOK and Zaven Collins. Absolutely insane. The Cowboys got the player they wanted. If Smith starts and plays well you won’t hear a peep out of the folks calling him a reach. If he struggles they’ll destroy him all season long.