Twitter: Tyron Smith dealing with bone spur

blueblood70

Reaction score
They open up the area and literally file it down like they do furniture. I heard 2-4 weeks depending on how big the incision is... but apparently it can be done via scope.
either way id be giving LC a shot at LT for the next two games to be prepared while they decide and if they need to share that spot the next few weeks LC needs the experience..

about to have to play 4 games in 18 days they need plan, mine is LC at LT get TS more healthy or even have the surgery before the stretch run..we need all hands on deck in December..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
either way id be giving LC a shot at LT for the next two games to be prepared while they decide and if they need to share that spot the next few weeks LC needs the experience..

about to have to play 4 games in 18 days they need plan, mine is LC at LT get TS more healthy or even have the surgery before the stretch run..we need all hands on deck in December..

Yeah this is a good time to get Tyron right.. The next two games are winnable without him. I would even be okay with sitting him the KC game before Thanksgiving and then New Orleans. I think he should be pretty close top 100% by then.

Creeper

Reaction score
Yeah this is a good time to get Tyron right.. The next two games are winnable without him. I would even be okay with sitting him the KC game before Thanksgiving and then New Orleans. I think he should be pretty close top 100% by then.

I thought the neck surgery was supposed to get Tyron right. It jusst seems like he is destined to miss 3 games every year.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Should have surgery now, 4 week recovery time. Roll with Collins at LT for a month, Smith back for home stretch and playoffs.

I agree. Do it now. Las Vegas is the only opponent in the next 4 games with dangerous pass rushers on the EDGE.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I thought the neck surgery was supposed to get Tyron right. It jusst seems like he is destined to miss 3 games every year.

The neck surgery got his neck right.. Unfortunately there are other body parts which can be injured. He had no control over Pollard rolling into his ankle. It's football.. A lotta collisions happen in the course of a game.. If he misses a coupla games I aint gonna be mad at him.

Creeper

Reaction score
The problem is bone spurs don't heal in a couple of weeks. He would need surgery top clean those up.. 6-8 weeks..

Not always. It depends on the location and the size. It is very possible that a cortisone shot could relieve the pain, at least temporarily. As someone else pointed out, a bone spur is more about pain than damage to the tissue. If they can manage the pain he should be fine.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not always. It depends on the location and the size. It is very possible that a cortisone shot could relieve the pain, at least temporarily. As someone else pointed out, a bone spur is more about pain than damage to the tissue. If they can manage the pain he should be fine.

Emmitt played the entire 1997 season with a bone spur in his ankle. He managed the pain, but he was far from "fine." It's more than just pain management. Irritation leads to swelling and swelling leads to loss of functionality.

Creeper

Reaction score
The neck surgery got his neck right.. Unfortunately there are other body parts which can be injured. He had no control over Pollard rolling into his ankle. It's football.. A lotta collisions happen in the course of a game.. If he misses a coupla games I aint gonna be mad at him.

And this is my earlier point. Bones spurs are not the immediate result of rolling an ankle. It is possible that the swelling and inflammation from the sprain triggered a response to the bone spur but if this is the case then reducing the inflammation should reduce the pain. The bone spurs must have been there, but caused no symptoms until he sprained his ankle. In this case, they should cause no pain when he ankle heals or when the swelling is reduced.

Something about this bone spur story is not making sense. Tyron had the ankle problem before the bye week. He had to have had an X-ray on it and at that point bone spurs would have been obvious to anyone viewing the X-Ray. Why is it just being revealed now?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And this is my earlier point. Bones spurs are not the immediate result of rolling an ankle. It is possible that the swelling and inflammation from the sprain triggered a response to the bone spur but if this is the case then reducing the inflammation should reduce the pain. The bone spurs must have been there, but caused no symptoms until he sprained his ankle. In this case, they should cause no pain when he ankle heals or when the swelling is reduced.

Something about this bone spur story is not making sense. Tyron had the ankle problem before the bye week. He had to have had an X-ray on it and at that point bone spurs would have been obvious to anyone viewing the X-Ray. Why is it just being revealed now?

Really? You have to ask this? Do the words "competitive disadvantage" mean anything to you? The coaching staff probably didn't want the Vikings overloading his side with blitzes and the like forcing him to do more than absolutely necessary in terms of movement. I'm sure they saw the bone spurs in last week's x-ray.. but there was ZERO to be gained from announcing it to the world.

Creeper

Reaction score
Emmitt played the entire 1997 season with a bone spur in his ankle. He managed the pain, but he was far from "fine." It's more than just pain management. Irritation leads to swelling and swelling leads to loss of functionality.

I am not saying he will be fine. Bone spurs do not go away. But Bone spurs do not hurt. They can irritate the surrounding tissues which causes pain. I am saying the story makes no sense to me. Bone spurs take years to develop to the point where they cause pain if they cause pain at all. If Tyron had pain from the bone spurs before his ankle injury then an X-Ray would have detected them. But until his injury a few weeks ago we heard nothing about him having any pain. I am not understanding why the Cowboys are announcing the bone spurs now.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I am not saying he will be fine. Bone spurs do not go away. But Bone spurs do not hurt. They can irritate the surrounding tissues which causes pain. I am saying the story makes no sense to me. Bone spurs take years to develop to the point where they cause pain if they cause pain at all. If Tyron had pain from the bone spurs before his ankle injury then an X-Ray would have detected them. But until his injury a few weeks ago we heard nothing about him having any pain. I am not understanding why the Cowboys are announcing the bone spurs now.

You don't to tell me about bone spurs.. I have two of them.. one in my ankle I tore up when I was 22 and one in my ribs which I broke when I was 31. I can feel them under the skin with my hand... neither causes me any pain UNLESS something bangs against them or rubs the area too hard. My wife frequently finds the one on the rib when she climbs into bed next to me and wants to snuggle.. Neither of them took years to develop.. The one in the ribs was there almost immediately as it healed and I noticed the one on the ankle within a couple months after the initial injury healed.

As for why the Cowboys are announcing it now.. They have to put him on the injury report now or face fines from the league and they can't have him undergo surgery for a "sprained ankle."