Tyron Smith Pro Day

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
jobberone;3893168 said:
Great. He's quick and can run fast for his size. But can he play? Color me not impressed.
He was the Pac-10 Lineman of the Year if that means anything to you.

JBS

Reaction score
TheCount;3893182 said:
It's not out of the question, but if Peterson is gone before 6, you want a backup plan.

who do you want at 9 that realistically will be available?

the only prospect that I know you like is Von Miller and that isnt happening..

who else do you like?...at 9..

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3893187 said:

I also like Kenrick Ellis, you may not have heard. :D

Really depends on who's available, I just don't think Tyron Smith at 9th overall is a good decision. If we're talking in the mid-teens, then that's a different story.

If we HAVE to draft at #9, I'd take Amukamara over Smith.

The truth is I have no real agenda for the #9 pick (the 3rd or 4th round is another story, have I mentioned Kenrick Ellis yet?), I just don't want us to blow the pick.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
TheCount;3893192 said:
I also like Kenrick Ellis, you may not have heard. :D

Really depends on who's available, I just don't think Tyron Smith at 9th overall is a good decision. If we're talking in the mid-teens, then that's a different story.

If we HAVE to draft at #9, I'd take Amukamara over Smith.

The truth is I have no real agenda for the #9 pick (the 3rd or 4th round is another story, have I mentioned Kenrick Ellis yet?), I just don't want us to blow the pick.

IMO If you like him at 16 you should probably like him just as much as 9.

Its different than most scenarios where the value isnt there b/c in this case you are going all in on Tyron either way. Whereas if you took Carimi too early you arent maximizing the talent for your draft slot.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3893197 said:
IMO If you like him at 16 you should probably like him just as much as 9.

Its different than most scenarios where the value isnt there b/c in this case you are going all in on Tyron either way. Whereas if you took Carimi too early you arent maximizing the talent for your draft slot.

Yeah but Dallas would not be picking 16 out of the goodness of their hearts. If they are at 16 they obviously got something in return for sliding down.

Most people see the value in Smith after a trade down because of the extra picks.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
SDogo;3893201 said:
Yeah but Dallas would not be picking 16 out of the goodness of their hearts. If they are at 16 they obviously got something in return for sliding down.

Most people see the value in Smith after a trade down because of the extra picks.

but if they really like Smith (or whatever player) you have to make sure you are still going to get your guy. Trading down just to get an extra mid-round pick is not a good enough reason to trade down.

JBS

Reaction score
Chris in Arizona;3893205 said:
but if they really like Smith (or whatever player) you have to make sure you are still going to get your guy. Trading down just to get an extra mid-round pick is not a good enough reason to trade down.

correct...you only trade down in a scenario in which multiple players are available that you have graded equally..

this at least increases the likelihood of getting one of these players..

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
dbair1967;3893163 said:
I dont know if Garrett was there, but did see an article that Ciskowski was there.

I think he's our guy. And I think we can pencil him in as a 10-12 yr starter from day one.

I hope you are right, dbair.

Smith is highly most likely going to be the number 1 offensive tackle on these boards:

Minnesota
New York Giants
Philadelphia
Washington

San Diego
Cleveland
Detroit (not sure, but he probably will be)

Dallas should be on that list and should take the cornerstone of their offensive line for the next 12-14 years. I can live with any growing pains, because the Cowboys will be better off by November of 2011 and for the next 12-14 years.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Mike Lombardi and Charlie Casserly both agreed that Smith reminds them of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and they both agreed that if this guy is Ferguson, you take him in the top 10.

If you trade down, you will be drafting an inferior player, in order to get an extra pick among inferior players.

Kiper is giving Smith to Dallas now, along with McShay.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Cover 2;3893184 said:
He was the Pac-10 Lineman of the Year if that means anything to you.

I didn't say he wasn't a first round pick. I just don't feel comfortable with taking him so high. He's more potential than player right now.

SDogo

Reaction score
dbair1967;3893163 said:
I dont know if Garrett was there, but did see an article that Ciskowski was there.

Yes he was

SDogo

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3893187 said:

IMO this draft goes one of 3 ways.

1. Trade up for Peterson

2. Smith at 9

3. Trade down and take the highest ranked OT on your board.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chris in Arizona;3893177 said:
I love the difference in opinions from when I first suggested Tyron way back when to now.

There are definitely still some Cowboy fans who have their doubts with him but he sure has a lot more love now.

Patrick Peterson or Tyron Smith. Either way I feel we are drafting a future All Pro this year.
So refreshing to see that.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SDogo;3893237 said:

1. Trade up for Peterson

2. Smith at 9

Hat trick.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
NFL Network reported that Smith's footwork at RT was elite, and that he passed the LT footwork with flying colors. They talked about him being a dominant force in the running game on the right side, in the NFL. Also, they stated that he showed exceptional ability to sink (bend his knees) and anchor in positional drills. (strong, wide base) I think it was Davis and Casserly who stated that they would start him off at LT, but the Cowboys have the luxury of plugging him in immediately, for the worst RT in the NFL last season (if they chose to do so).

I'd take him at 9, even if he ended up staying at RT, because he has all the tools and physical makeup to be a dominant RT. However, I don't think that's where his future lies. Smith, when ready, has the tools and physical makeup to be a dominant LT, and that is something that Doug Free will never be, imo. Not only is there a very significant gap between Smith and the rest of the offensive tackle class, there is a very significant gap between the talent of Smith and Free. Plus, Smith's age (20) makes him even more worthy of a top 10 pick. His upside is ridiculous.

I'm lighting the candles at 9. :)

Because if you trade down, you most likely lose a blue chip, cornerstone offensive linemen, and that is what Smith will be for the team that drafts him.

The Vikings could end up with Loadholt and Smith.

Is Dallas really going to let that happen and complete the 2009 draft failure?

I sure hope not.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
SDogo;3893237 said:

1. Trade up for Peterson

2. Smith at 9

I feel the exact same way about our situation this year, with this slight addition...

3. Trade down and take the highest ranked OT on your board OR Cameron Jordan.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
By the way, when is (was?) LSU's Pro Day? I'll look it up later but in case anyone knows offhand.

Woods

Reaction score
41gy#;3893244 said:
NFL Network reported that Smith's footwork at RT was elite, and that he passed the LT footwork with flying colors. They talked about him being a dominant force in the running game on the right side, in the NFL. Also, they stated that he showed exceptional ability to sink (bend his knees) and anchor in positional drills. (strong, wide base) I think it was Davis and Casserly who stated that they would start him off at LT, but the Cowboys have the luxury of plugging him in immediately, for the worst RT in the NFL last season (if they chose to do so).

I'd take him at 9, even if he ended up staying at RT, because he has all the tools and physical makeup to be a dominant RT. However, I don't think that's where his future lies. Smith, when ready, has the tools and physical makeup to be a dominant LT, and that is something that Doug Free will never be, imo. Not only is there a very significant gap between Smith and the rest of the offensive tackle class, there is a very significant gap between the talent of Smith and Free. Plus, Smith's age (20) makes him even more worthy of a top 10 pick. His upside is ridiculous.

I'm lighting the candles at 9. :)

Because if you trade down, you most likely lose a blue chip, cornerstone offensive linemen, and that is what Smith will be for the team that drafts him.

The Vikings could end up with Loadholt and Smith.

Is Dallas really going to let that happen and complete the 2009 draft failure?

I sure hope not.

I would probably take him at 9, depending on what offers I got to trade down (maybe it was something absolutely tremendous). And I hope we do draft Smith.

BUT, from the Cowboys perspective, they MAY be thinking that if they can trade down a few spots and land either Smith, Carimi, C Jordan, or Watt plus get an extra 2nd or 3rd, they can then trade up with their 2nd rounder and get yet another blue chip talent - either an OL, CB, or DL.

That way, the Cowboys could end up with 2 top 25 players out of one draft - guys who could start perhaps from Day 1. That's like having 2 first rounders.

I'm just throwing this scenario out there.

I guess it depends where they have Smith rated vs. Carimi, Sherrod, etc. and also versus Jordan and Watt and how enticing the offer is to trade down.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
SDogo;3893201 said:

Precisely.