Tyron Smith Pro Day

Bizwah

Reaction score
I keep hearing and reading that you don't want to draft a RT early.

I think that USED to be the case. I'm not sure anymore.

I can remember an NFL where you never wanted to draft a WR or CB high. But right now, there's almost always one of each that goes high. RBs used to be highly valued. You wanted one that could "carry the load".

The NFL is changing. It's more of a passing league. Because of this, you need a solid set of bookends on the OL. NFL defenses have evolved to where you need two great pass protectors. Watch how we move DWare all over the place.

How many of us wouldn't take pre-injury Eric Williams in the top ten of a draft?

I'm not sure how good T Smith will be. I'm not sure if he'll turn out to be the next Eric Williams or the next Winston Justice. But if our coaches like him, then they shouldn't worry if he's a RT or not.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Bizwah;3893258 said:

I can remember an NFL where you never wanted to draft a WR or CB high. But right now, there's almost always one of each that goes high. RBs used to be highly valued. You wanted one that could "carry the load".

The NFL is changing. It's more of a passing league. Because of this, you need a solid set of bookends on the OL. NFL defenses have evolved to where you need two great pass protectors. Watch how we move DWare all over the place.

How many of us wouldn't take pre-injury Eric Williams in the top ten of a draft?

I'm not sure how good T Smith will be. I'm not sure if he'll turn out to be the next Eric Williams or the next Winston Justice. But if our coaches like him, then they shouldn't worry if he's a RT or not.

:hammer:

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Woods;3893253 said:
I would probably take him at 9, depending on what offers I got to trade down (maybe it was something absolutely tremendous). And I hope we do draft Smith.

BUT, from the Cowboys perspective, they MAY be thinking that if they can trade down a few spots and land either Smith, Carimi, C Jordan, or Watt plus get an extra 2nd or 3rd, they can then trade up with their 2nd rounder and get yet another blue chip talent - either an OL, CB, or DL.

That way, the Cowboys could end up with 2 top 25 players out of one draft - guys who could start perhaps from Day 1. That's like having 2 first rounders.

I'm just throwing this scenario out there.

I guess it depends where they have Smith rated vs. Carimi, Sherrod, etc. and also versus Jordan and Watt and how enticing the offer is to trade down.

I get what you are saying, but there may not be 20 true first rounders in this draft class, when you look at the field. You may trade up and pick a second round player, when good value on the interior offensive line and CB or possibly DE will be there at 40.

I'm pretty sure (if I heard him right) that Casserly stated that Smith was better than Jason Smith (Baylor) and Trent Williams (Washington). Both those guys went in the top 4, I think.

Dallas will decide their draft for sure, but I think today, Smith may very well have made the choice for them. At least, I hope that he did. Smith should easily defeat those DEs (He has already beaten Jordan on tape) and Carimi, Solder, Sherrod, or Castonzo, and I wouldn't give him up for an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I sound like a broken record, and I'm sure people are sick of it. However, I don't think it is smart business to give up a blue chip, cornerstone offensive linemen (which the team desperately needs), just so you can get an extra pick among inferior players. You end up with two inferior players while a blue chip player (in the offensive line) goes to play else where.

There is no substitute for elite talent and elite physical skills and elite athletic ability and elite measureables. It's easier to draft and coach.

Tyron Smith is one of the safest players in the top 10 and plays one of the safest positions to draft in round one (OT), and he is a blue chip, cornerstone player within your offensive line, which is old and is coming off a huge decline in performance, when compared to 2009.

Dallas, if they are smart, will just stay put and pick at 9 (take Smith) and 40. They are going to have exceptional value at big need spots, in both spots. 71 is looking good, too. Picking at the top of each round, should increase your chances for success. However, when you add an extra 2nd or third and give up a superior player (like Smith) just to fill needs, you end up increasing your bust chances in rounds 2 or 3. Now, you have to hit twice in those rounds.

JMO, but I think the good organizations agree, and there may be hope for the Cowboys, yet. We shall see.

Tyron Smith gives Dallas B.J. Raiji value at 9, only the blue chip, cornerstone is in their offensive line.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I am all for drafting Smith if he is the highest rated player on the Cowboys board at 9. They should not try ot play cute an get extra picks. This is turning into a pass happy league and you need to protect your qb. He has all of the raw tools to become a potential all-pro. No pick is a sure thing in this draft; not even Peterson (sorry Hos). The other thing that I keep on saying is that Free is a FA and I know that many of us will say that Jerry will not let or should not let him walk, but he does have a lot of leverage in negotiations since who will play LT if he gets a better offer. Have you seen the FA OT's. They are not very exciting options out there.

Woods

Reaction score
41gy#;3893274 said:
I get what you are saying, but there may not be 20 true first rounders in this draft class, when you look at the field. You may trade up and pick a second round player, when good value on the interior offensive line and CB or possibly DE will be there at 40.

I'm pretty sure (if I heard him right) that Casserly stated that Smith was better than Jason Smith (Baylor) and Trent Williams (Washington). Both those guys went in the top 4, I think.

Dallas will decide their draft for sure, but I think today, Smith may very well have made the choice for them. At least, I hope that he did. Smith should easily defeat those DEs (He has already beaten Jordan on tape) and Carimi, Solder, Sherrod, or Castonzo, and I wouldn't give him up for an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I sound like a broken record, and I'm sure people are sick of it. However, I don't think it is smart business to give up a blue chip, cornerstone offensive linemen (which the team desperately needs), just so you can get an extra pick among inferior players. You end up with two inferior players while a blue chip player (in the offensive line) goes to play else where.

There is no substitute for elite talent and elite physical skills and elite athletic ability and elite measureables. It's easier to draft and coach.

Tyron Smith is one of the safest players in the top 10 and plays one of the safest positions to draft in round one (OT), and he is a blue chip, cornerstone player within your offensive line, which is old and is coming off a huge decline in performance, when compared to 2009.

Dallas, if they are smart, will just stay put and pick at 9 (take Smith) and 40. They are going to have exceptional value at big need spots, in both spots. 71 is looking good, too. Picking at the top of each round, should increase your chances for success. However, when you add an extra 2nd or third and give up a superior player (like Smith) just to fill needs, you end up increasing your bust chances in rounds 2 or 3. Now, you have to hit twice in those rounds.

JMO, but I think the good organizations agree, and there may be hope for the Cowboys, yet. We shall see.

Tyron Smith gives Dallas B.J. Raiji value at 9, only the blue chip, cornerstone is in their offensive line.

Well, I do hope we draft Smith as well. Not sure what the Cowboys will end up doing. JJ is a real wheeler dealer. Unless I got a Ricky Williams type deal, I'd just stay put as well. But reading some of the other posters in "the know", it seems that the Cowboys may prefer to trade down a few spots and then draft Smith or another OL. I guess we'll see which direction JJ goes.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bigdog;3893281 said:
I am all for drafting Smith if he is the highest rated player on the Cowboys board at 9. They should not try ot play cute an get extra picks. This is turning into a pass happy league and you need to protect your qb. He has all of the raw tools to become a potential all-pro. No pick is a sure thing in this draft; not even Peterson (sorry Hos). The other thing that I keep on saying is that Free is a FA and I know that many of us will say that Jerry will not let or should not let him walk, but he does have a lot of leverage in negotiations since who will play LT if he gets a better offer. Have you seen the FA OT's. They are not very exciting options out there.
I don't consider Peterson a sure thing. I just want him to marry my daughter.

That is a joke people, relax.

Primetime42

Reaction score
jobberone;3893234 said:
I didn't say he wasn't a first round pick. I just don't feel comfortable with taking him so high. He's more potential than player right now.
Most top 10 picks are.

Woods

Reaction score
J-DOG;3893295 said:
Ok.... who wants video of this monster?
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f0551a/USC-pro-day-report?module=HP_video

Casserly thinks that Tyron is better prospect than Jason Smith was coming out of Baylor and thinks there should be serious discussion if he is better than Trent Williams who came out last year.

Let the debate rage on!

Looking at that video, even at 310 lbs he doesn't look fat or dumpy at all. He really moves well for a guy that size. I think he could easily put another another 10-15 pounds over the course of a couple of years - and he'll only be 22 then.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Woods;3893302 said:
Looking at that video, even at 310 lbs he doesn't look fat or dumpy at all. He really moves well for a guy that size. I think he could easily put another another 10-15 pounds over the course of a couple of years - and he'll only be 22 then.
I know man...that's what make this kid such an intriguing prospect. The upside is thru the roof with Smith. He moves like a big TE in those drills at 310. Not fat at all!-He put on good weight.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bizwah;3893258 said:

Teams consider WRs, who only touch the ball ~10 or so times a game in the top ten. Why not take an every-down offensive player in that slot? Especially if it's the best OT on the board, and he can play your biggest offensive position of need. Add in that the guy is young, and that he could switch to LT at some point if you needed him to, I'd take him at 9 and not look back if I had to. I don't see the case for waiting another ten picks because that's what 'value' dictates.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Bill Jones:

At USC Pro Day, OT Tyron Smith up to 310 pounds, runs 4.93, 31 reps on bench press with Jason Garrett in attendance...only 20 years old, and four weeks from tomorrow, I now fully expect him to become a Dallas Cowboy.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=344272&id=121267137936579

:)

Also, he makes another post about Dallas having to hope that no other team takes Smith before 9. Come on Quinn and Bowers...Get it together.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Larry Allen would have gone top 10 in a redraft.

He could play four offensive line positions and made the pro bowl at LT.

Smith has the talent and tools to be a dominant RT or LT and could play guard with ease, imo.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Man I've hated the idea of drafting Smith all along but I'm slowly starting to sway...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bizwah;3893258 said:

I'd worry, because while we all know our pass blocking was bad, our run blocking was even worse.

I know a lot of people want to think we need two LT's, but what we really need is a more able-bodied version of Colombo.

We need a dominant run blocker on the right side.

In fact if we do take Smith, he needs to be groomed to go to the LT in my opinion. Free was, according to ProFootballFocus, THE BEST run blocking tackle in the league last year so he can certainly man the right side and that wouldn't be a demotion.

JBS

Reaction score
TheFinisher;3893327 said:
Man I've hated the idea of drafting Smith all along but I'm slowly starting to sway...

wow, i didnt expect this one..

why are you starting to sway?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3893333 said:

Because Tyron has long arms and is only 20 years old. ;)

TheFinisher

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3893333 said:

Biggest concern with me, and I imagine most of his doubters, was the added weight and how it would affect his movement and athleticism. 25-30 pounds is a significant weight gain in such a short period of time but from all the reports at the Pro Day he hasn't lost a step and that's a great sign, bumps him up a few notches for me.