Tyron Smith's contract, extension or final year?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny you say this ...........I know it's early ( way early ) but it appears 2024 will have a strong OT class. When Tyler is moved to back to his drafted position of LT, we will again be looking for a starting LG.
They just drafted one. Additionally they love the depth and FA they just signed.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We know they had interest in Bergeron who also was a college tackle with the intention of kicking him inside, so it makes a ton of sense to think they could do the same in the future. Tackles are more athletic and usually have better footwork.
Exactly ..........coz I don't see them drafting an O-lineman that can only play G with a high pick.

J12B

Reaction score

CCBoy

Reaction score
I thought last year was going to be his last after he got injured.

Doubt they extend him.

The front office willprobably see what his health is like this season and how he performs. Then decide what they're going to do from there.
They already fully know his status...and will allow some game time for developing other players as well for the future. Smart management.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are some fans wanting him to get injured so they can say they were right. As that is all many seem to post.

Just wait and see how the season goes. Whatever happens, happens. He was great and still can be. I will not concern myself over any possible injuries.
I am more concerned with the overall OL depth. No matter who gets injured.

With 17 games now, MM said you prepare for that. So far I am not sure if they did, but we will see.

quickccc

Reaction score
Club will keep playing Tyron and milking out his contract as long as they think he can last,
..so long as he doesn't show significant " just cannot play well at all " monster decline in pure play anymore.

They may deem a difference in cannot play decline vs lack of durability.

Even if it defies Jerry's term as "availability means a lot to us " comment.

J-man

Reaction score
It's the end of a great career, but he maybe gone after this season. But I think he could stay on next season, possibly as the swing tackle? His contract isn't bad, actually I think he'd cost the same amount to cut, as he would to keep.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
A trade up in the 2nd round would have been in play for Steve Avila or Matt Bergeron. There's no certainty they would have just sat there at 2.58.
They weren’t trading up for anyone. If anything they wanted more draft capital not less.

conner01

Reaction score
The next CBA really needs include some loyalty rewards to help keep older players around without affecting the cap.
I’ve always thought it’s beneficial to the game for players who want to, to play a career for a single team. The cap makes that really difficult to accomplish. How to fix it is complicated though and have an actual cap.

BossRhino

Reaction score
They weren’t trading up for anyone. If anything they wanted more draft capital not less.
Again. You're viewing it AS IS, with Tyron Smith still on the team and starting at the LT position. I'm viewing the hypothetical scenario that they would have moved on from Tyron Smith before the draft---the entire draft plan would have changed.