Tyron Smith's contract, extension or final year?

FaSho

Reaction score
All the obligatory love, HOF career, he's been a great Cowboy, yada, yada, yada...

Time to move on.
Should have done it this year already.
Finally cut the cord permanently.
jmo
I have no confidence in this dude being healthy for any amount of time.... how is he worth it anymore?

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is the real question on the table at present...and it applies to Parsons:

The math to get to the highest APY for any defensive player isn’t difficult. Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald currently has the high-water mark at $31.667 million. Parsons is due to make $2.2 million in 2023 and $2.989 million in 2024.

So sign him to a four-year, $128 million extension after the season. Or a five-year, $160 million extension. With his 2024 pay, he’ll sign either a five-year, $130.989 million contract or a six-year, $162.989 million deal. Either arrangement has a new-money average of $32 million.

For the former, it’s an average from signing of $26.19 million. For the latter, the average from signing is $27.14 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ise-to-pay-micah-parsons-as-soon-as-they-can/

BossRhino

Reaction score
I have no confidence in this dude being healthy for any amount of time.... how is he worth it anymore?
Dallas is going to quickly be playing musical chairs with the offensive line, especially on the left side.

Creeper

Reaction score
Now is not the time to make this decision. Steele is a free agent next year unless they give him a new contract. He could get an offer the Cowboys will not match, like Jeremy Parnell did. If that's the case then maybe it would be smart to re-sign Tyron next year to a 1 or 2 year deal. A lot depends on how Tyron does this year. What if Tyron plays 17 games this year and plays reasonably well?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the real question on the table at present...and it applies to Parsons:

The math to get to the highest APY for any defensive player isn’t difficult. Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald currently has the high-water mark at $31.667 million. Parsons is due to make $2.2 million in 2023 and $2.989 million in 2024.

So sign him to a four-year, $128 million extension after the season. Or a five-year, $160 million extension. With his 2024 pay, he’ll sign either a five-year, $130.989 million contract or a six-year, $162.989 million deal. Either arrangement has a new-money average of $32 million.

For the former, it’s an average from signing of $26.19 million. For the latter, the average from signing is $27.14 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ise-to-pay-micah-parsons-as-soon-as-they-can/
Parsons is going to want to be the highest paid defensive player in the nfl.
Trade him for the first pick in the draft next year and grab the quarterback of the decade.
Back to TS, appreciate him playing out the contract but with his injury history, time to move on.

75boyz

Reaction score
I hear ya man, I dont know either. But be careful, you might get called an Eagles fan for showing any criticism. It seems to have become the cute thing to do by many around here.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Again. You're viewing it AS IS, with Tyron Smith still on the team and starting at the LT position. I'm viewing the hypothetical scenario that they would have moved on from Tyron Smith before the draft---the entire draft plan would have changed.
Carry on then. I don’t care about hypotheticals.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let this year play out. When he gets hurt if needed just put him on IR. And then at years end you schedule his ROH ceremony and let him retire while he can still walk.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I appreciate him but he will be hurt 4 games in and will be done. Good luck Tyron, you were a good one until the injuries.

HanD

Reaction score
It's kind of amazing that a player of his caliber had such a long contract and it will be played all the way through. No holdouts or demands for a raise. Dude signed a contract and honored it. Respect.
And at the time he took less than he could have.

HanD

Reaction score
Parsons is going to want to be the highest paid defensive player in the nfl.
Trade him for the first pick in the draft next year and grab the quarterback of the decade.
Back to TS, appreciate him playing out the contract but with his injury history, time to move on.
Smh we get a true generational player who grew up a cowboy fan and works endlessly and people wanna trade him and role the dice.

Havic

Reaction score
If he stays healthy, a team friendly extension will happen. The guy never complains about his contract and has been a model player here. Nothing but class, I hope he stays healthy

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All the obligatory love, HOF career, he's been a great Cowboy, yada, yada, yada...

Time to move on.
jmo
The reason they haven’t moved on is because he’s still a good player when he’s healthy and he provides depth in the event we suffer a rash of injuries. If he ends up missing multiple games again this will probably be the end of the line for him. The Cowboys are trying to hang on with him as long as they can. Having him around also allows Tyler Smith to gain more experience. It’s pretty easy to see why the Cowboys are reluctant to part ways with him.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Tyron is a made man... He's not getting the Zeke, Dez or Jaylon treatment

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smh we get a true generational player who grew up a cowboy fan and works endlessly and people wanna trade him and role the dice.
It depends do you want to watch a generational player or win a championship. His price for a DE will force you to use lesser talent elsewhere . Quarterbacks have directly cost us playoff games. Enough.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
If he stays healthy, a team friendly extension will happen. The guy never complains about his contract and has been a model player here. Nothing but class, I hope he stays healthy
Nothing against Tyron, he's been a great player and a professional on and off the field but hasn't played a full season since 2015, and only 17 games in the last three years, there's no "IF HE STAYS HEALTHY", he won't! time to move on after this season..

T-RO

Reaction score

Time to move on.
jmo
Fair enough. I think he's gonna ball.
jmo

T-RO

Reaction score
I think this is Tyron Smith's final year and he should be the swing tackle
He's worthless on the right side. Hopeless. A decade of muscle memory makes that impossible.

But in his natural position he's a Grizzly Bear. You want to make a HOF caliber LT, still in his early thirties...some backup swing tackle. Get that **** out of here.