Tyron speaks for first time about his DAL/NYJ free agent negotiations

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I doubt it, sounds like they did want him, they just don’t want to pay for anyone other than the guys who sell jerseys.
I'm sure money was a factor, but the contract he signed wasn't crazy expensive and principle value was pretty much what he made last year + incentives. He specifically mentioned how slow the Cowboys moved and if they wanted him they would have sped up their process, which makes me think it was done on purpose.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Aside from the inability to run and stop the run, I guess. But really I think the window hasn't really been open since 2014. That was the season we could've gone all the way. #DezCaughtIt
I am watching the 2014 season now, just saw the texans game.
It was my favorite season since 2007. They had a good roster, but jg cost them some games including the GB playoff game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'm sure money was a factor, but the contract he signed wasn't crazy expensive and principle value was pretty much what he made last year + incentives. He specifically mentioned how slow the Cowboys moved and if they wanted him they would have sped up their process, which makes me think it was done on purpose.
no it wasnt on purpose, they were debating pros and cons.
they dont want to spend $ on anyone, saving it all for lamb and dak.
So they will have those two for 1/3 of the cap, and nobody else lol.

Redline360

Reaction score
And honestly those were poor moves by Dallas, Gilmore was 33 and while he did help in Diggs absence he's no longer a game changer, and Cooks was 30 and had a pretty bad season
Gilmore was never brought in to be a game changer though. A complimentary corner for Diggs and imo performed better then expected after Diggs went down. Some of the games we won Gilmore played a huge part in.

Cooks on the other hand is another 1k reciever if used correctly. However, most of us were completely confused on his usage early on in the season. Granted they started using him correctly towards the end of the season but why bring him in to limit what he does best. MM basically handicapped him.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Yea, some people on this site haven't realized yet the window of opportunity has pretty much been closed. You couldn't have asked for a better situation last season
Exactly. The team absolutely cratered and it’s best players and “top notch DC” were the reason why

offlimits

Reaction score
Blew their opportunity? Thats what they’ve always done. This offseason might be the biggest joke in franchise history. Tyron is lucky to go anywhere else.. even the Jets with a 40 year old QB.
If the money was close, his agent should have advised him to stay in Frisco. I would have. NYS Smith will be paying 9-10% in state income taxes. That is a huge chunk of change for someone in his tax bracket. I'd like to see his face when he has to write that check.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the money was close, his agent should have advised him to stay in Frisco. I would have. NYS Smith will be paying 9-10% in state income taxes. That is a huge chunk of change for someone in his tax bracket. I'd like to see his face when he has to write that check.
The thing is with state income taxes, also depends what state you list your permanent residence.
If he keeps his home in Texas, and rents in NY / NJ area. He may be able to get a chunk of that money back.

He still had to pay taxes in other states last season for the road games. So players can file for a return. Now not sure how that works with major leagues sports, becasue they consider it an entertainment tax, so maybe they can't file for reimbursement.

I know when I traveled around for my work, I spent up to 6 months in in state that had taxes, I got most of that money back in a tax return.
I claimed either Florida or Texas as my residence, which of course both do not have state taxes. Once I got more established in Texas, then that is my main residence of course.
As I also claimed one of my properties for per diem purposes. Which player also may be able to do, if he keeps his home in Texas.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
McCarthy must feel like a dead man walking watching players exit and seeing the Joneses sitting on their hands in free agency.
If he had any pride he would resign in protest.

I get that there are only 31 other jobs, but they're putting him in an impossible position that's going to do irreparable damage to his reputation.

He was kept around to be the patsy for the a failure in waiting that is the 2024 season. He'll never be a HC in the NFL again if next seasons goes down like most of us expect.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yea, some people on this site haven't realized yet the window of opportunity has pretty much been closed. You couldn't have asked for a better situation last season
Jerry Jones said this two years ago when they lost to the 49ers. The window is short and they’ll lose players to free agency and they had the pieces. He was saying this, if I remember correctly, in the context of Dak’s play.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’ll probably realize he made a mistake giving Jerry a discount and long-term contract when he plays with the Jets.
It will be a comparison all season long.

Tyron in NY vs. Tyler in Dallas, if he moves to LT. Or any other player that plays LT here.
Get ready for 30 pages threads over it. :laugh:

khiladi

Reaction score
It will be a comparison all season long.

Tyron in NY vs. Tyler in Dallas, if he moves to LT. Or any other player that plays LT here.
Get ready for 30 pages threads over it. :laugh:
I was actually referring more to the experience of playing for another franchise.

Remember, he signed that long-term contract because he felt he owed Jerry for the help he provided in respect to his family problems.

All he has known from a franchise experience is the Cowboys.

It will be interesting to see his take on it, like Dalton Schultz’s comparison of Houston with Dallas. He has much more experience in that regard.

khiladi

Reaction score
Based on this summary, it seems like Dallas is more interested in budgeting than anything else. Dallas being the most valued franchise in sports doesn’t mean liquidity. Players checks on the other hand require liquidity.

Who even knows what the reason is, but this seems more like Stephen flexing more than Jerry?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The thing is with state income taxes, also depends what state you list your permanent residence.
If he keeps his home in Texas, and rents in NY / NJ area. He may be able to get a chunk of that money back.

He still had to pay taxes in other states last season for the road games. So players can file for a return. Now not sure how that works with major leagues sports, becasue they consider it an entertainment tax, so maybe they can't file for reimbursement.

I know when I traveled around for my work, I spent up to 6 months in in state that had taxes, I got most of that money back in a tax return.
I claimed either Florida or Texas as my residence, which of course both do not have state taxes. Once I got more established in Texas, then that is my main residence of course.
As I also claimed one of my properties for per diem purposes. Which player also may be able to do, if he keeps his home in Texas.
Game checks are taxed in the locale the game is played. It has nothing to do with a players permanent residence. When the Cowboys play at Philadelphia, for instance, the Cowboys players pay Pennsylvania Commonwealth income tax and Philadelphia City income tax. Professional athletes playing in New York City pay state and city income tax, plus an additional fee aimed specifically at pro athletes. No wonder the Jets and Giants are fine playing in New Jersey and have no desire for a stadium in NYC. Playing in a no state income tax state has the advantage of at least half your game checks with no state income tax. I believe 8 NFL teams play in states with no state income tax. Agents calculate taxes in negotiations with teams, anyway, so the advantage is more the team’s than the player’s.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Game checks are taxed in the locale the game is played. It has nothing to do with a players permanent residence. When the Cowboys play at Philadelphia, for instance, the Cowboys players pay Pennsylvania Commonwealth income tax and Philadelphia City income tax. Professional athletes playing in New York City pay state and city income tax, plus an additional fee aimed specifically at pro athletes. No wonder the Jets and Giants are fine playing in New Jersey and have no desire for a stadium in NYC. Playing in a no state income tax state has the advantage of at least half your game checks with no state income tax. I believe 8 NFL teams play in states with no state income tax. Agents calculate taxes in negotiations with teams, anyway, so the advantage is more the team’s than the player’s.
That is what I meant about pro sports, since it is considered an entertainment tax, it could be different, and is to what you posted.

1942willys

Reaction score
He wanted to stay in Dallas...he also wanted a chance at one more big payday. The ring is more important to fans than it is to most players.
and frankly I laugh at that
When you have made as much money as Tyron has, unless you are really greedy, I doubt its all that important. Important yes but not what you want to believe
and of course being a loyal Jerry minion clouds your judgement as you will never believe that he is at best an average GM and never will be anything more

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and frankly I laugh at that
When you have made as much money as Tyron has, unless you are really greedy, I doubt its all that important. Important yes but not what you want to believe
You have as much knowledge as I do....so, I laugh at your opinion, too. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

1942willys

Reaction score
You have as much knowledge as I do....so, I laugh at your opinion, too. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
hey, I am not the one that needs to ego reinforcement like you clearly do
but then anyone that just bows down to Jerry all the time will always have a problem there...