News: Tyrone Crawford key to Dallas Cowboys Defensive Success

CCBoy

Reaction score
Tyrone Crawford key to Dallas Cowboys Defensive Success

http://thelandryhat.com/2016/07/22/tyrone-crawford-key-dallas-cowboys-defensive-success/

The defense that lines up for the Dallas Cowboys in Week 1 of the new season will be something of an unknown. The leadership will come from Tyrone Crawford.

Defensive ends DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory are both suspended for four games. Lawrence was sack leader for the team in 2015 and was expected to continue to step up his game this year, he’ll have less time to prove his worth than expected.

One year of Greg Hardy proved to be enough with Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett unwilling to rely on the defensive end for a second successive year. The Cowboys replaced Hardy’s experienced with veteran Cedric Thornton who will surely beef up the middle of the line. While my compatriot Jack Crawford will be wanting to extend that one year contract beyond 2017.

Rookies were drafted in the form of Maliek Collins and Charles Tapper. Collins is side lined with a broken foot and likely to be out for the first couple of weeks of the season at least.

The leadership of this defensive line will have to come from Tyrone Crawford. He’s versatile position wise and comfortable in this Rod Marinelli rotational system.

Tyrone Crawford
At 26 Tyrone Crawford is heading into his fifth year as a Cowboy. He sat out 2013 through injury but otherwise has been a reliable figure. Last year he was handed a bumper 5 year, $45 million contract. But a torn rotator cuff didn’t allow him to perform to the level he or anyone else expected.

With five sacks he was still productive but not influential enough; he couldn’t dominate opponents or take over games as required. It transpired that the injury limited Crawford to such a level he was pretty much just playing with the one hand. In fact he couldn’t even bench press 225lbs; something he did with ease at the combine in 2012.

Post-surgery at the end of the season, his strength has returned...

Daillest88

Reaction score
Crawford gets no love. Couldn't bench 225 much less lift up his bad arm hardly still had a good year . I hope he stays healthy this year. If he does no doubt in my mind he will shut the haters up

CWR

Reaction score
Crawford gets no love. Couldn't bench 225 much less lift up his bad arm hardly still had a good year . I hope he stays healthy this year. If he does no doubt in my mind he will shut the haters up

Yes I still believe he is a good contract and will show he is much better than what he was able to put on the field while fighting through injury last year.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Are

I expect a big year from Crawford, I can't wait to see him play along Thorton.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
He's a solid player. Hoping to see more out of him this season.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's just it, he's solid but Jerry paid him like an All-Pro. Thus, all the hate.

We're 23rd in the league in terms of cap allocation to DTs. And Crawford's 311th in the league across all players in terms of the value of his contract. The hate is mostly just misdirected in this case.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
We're 23rd in the league in terms of cap allocation to DTs. And Crawford's 311th in the league across all players in terms of the value of his contract. The hate is mostly just misdirected in this case.

He's a top 20 dt and he's paid like a top 5 is the point I guess.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Crawford recently was switched from DE to DT, so he's still really kind of learning the position. Plus, last year he was playing with a really bad shoulder injury. Frankly, I don't see how he did it. I can't think of much worse than having to play DT with an arm you can barely lift.

We haven't seen close to Crawford's best at the 3-tech spot. He still has a lot of growing to do... which he can continue to do finally because his shoulder is healed.

If people think he's a top 25 DT in the league now... if he stays healthy he's going to be a lot better this year than we've ever seen him. If that happens, his contract is going to look like Dallas pulled a fast one on him.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
In terms of his cap hit? He'll be 16th in the league for his position this season.

11th for total cash.

Must have changed a lot from last year. I saw paid 6th. He's paid 9 mil a year and there's guys better than him making 3-4 mil a year. Never mind that's for 4-3 only.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Must have changed a lot from last year. I saw paid 6th. He's paid 9 mil a year and there's guys better than him making 3-4 mil a year. Never mind that's for 4-3 only.

Hard to say. He's a good player. Who you like better that's getting $3m?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Hard to say. He's a good player. Who you like better that's getting $3m?

Aaron Donald and terrance knighton would be an upgrade. Crawford is ok I just think they gave him like 3-4 mil a year too much. He has heart and he is good. It's not him it's the contract I have a problem with.

riverap00

Reaction score
I personnally think we're waiting too long for him to come around. They did that with Anthony Spencer and it took him 6 years to have a double digit sack total. T-Craw plays with power but no finesse. He seems to me to be a perfect fit for the 1 technique not the 3. Either that or change to a standard 4-3. I really hope he breaks out this year but I gotta say, I've been hearing that for 2 years now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I personnally think we're waiting too long for him to come around. They did that with Anthony Spencer and it took him 6 years to have a double digit sack total. T-Craw plays with power but no finesse. He seems to me to be a perfect fit for the 1 technique not the 3. Either that or change to a standard 4-3. I really hope he breaks out this year but I gotta say, I've been hearing that for 2 years now.

You guys that bring a soap opera written script to a football game. Injury is real...and affects players until they are fully recovered. That affects all projection lines...but he is a solid football player. As to salaries, that is continually adjusted as the league's cash intake increases as well. That contract may well prove out to have been very informed after it plays out.

Root the guy, and if it isn't a hurdle for the team, forget the cash flows that are subsurface in nature.