News: Tyrone Crawford key to Dallas Cowboys Defensive Success

riverap00

Reaction score
You guys that bring a soap opera written script to a football game. Injury is real...and affects players until they are fully recovered. That affects all projection lines...but he is a solid football player. As to salaries, that is continually adjusted as the league's cash intake increases as well. That contract may well prove out to have been very informed after it plays out.

Root the guy, and if it isn't a hurdle for the team, forget the cash flows that are subsurface in nature.

I agree. Injury is real. And he seems to injured a REAL lot!!!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree. Injury is real. And he seems to injured a REAL lot!!!!

Perhaps, instead of talking crap, one should also notice a total lack of penalties being called when Tony Romo is slammed into the turf..but that is the REAL WORLD.

CWR

Reaction score
Crawford recently was switched from DE to DT, so he's still really kind of learning the position. Plus, last year he was playing with a really bad shoulder injury. Frankly, I don't see how he did it. I can't think of much worse than having to play DT with an arm you can barely lift.

We haven't seen close to Crawford's best at the 3-tech spot. He still has a lot of growing to do... which he can continue to do finally because his shoulder is healed.

If people think he's a top 25 DT in the league now... if he stays healthy he's going to be a lot better this year than we've ever seen him. If that happens, his contract is going to look like Dallas pulled a fast one on him.

True, eveyone was upset with Scandricks contract a few years back also and it turned out to be a good deal for us. I know we've jumped the gun before, Austin and MB3 come to mind but I dont think this is the same thing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aaron Donald and terrance knighton would be an upgrade. Crawford is ok I just think they gave him like 3-4 mil a year too much. He has heart and he is good. It's not him it's the contract I have a problem with.

Well, Donald's a beast. And he's on his rookie contract. His deal will destroy Crawford's when they're in the same situation.

Not with you on Knighton. He's a 350 lb journeyman with a cool knick name. They're not really comparable players in terms of what hey do, but in terms of general ability I'd consider him a significant downgrade.

Crawford's paid about what he should have been. It was a big deal considering what he gave us on his rookie contract, but that second deal you're paying for what you think they're going to give you and not for what you've already gotten out of them. The rotator injury was unfortunate, but this is a high motor young DT with reach. He's going to make that deal look like a good one before it's said and done. And the fact that he played hard through injury during that dismal season is a big positive for him in my book. Would have been easy for him to check out, but he kept playing hard all season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, eveyone was upset with Scandricks contract a few years back also and it turned out to be a good deal for us. I know we've jumped the gun before, Austin and MB3 come to mind but I dont think this is the same thing.

Scandrick's deal is a good comparison. People hated it at the time, too, but he's delivered on it and then some.

We got into trouble with Barber and Austin because they both became starters so late in their rookie deals. We had to take chances on their extensions and it hurt us.

Reactions: CWR

Aven8

Reaction score
I personnally think we're waiting too long for him to come around. They did that with Anthony Spencer and it took him 6 years to have a double digit sack total. T-Craw plays with power but no finesse. He seems to me to be a perfect fit for the 1 technique not the 3. Either that or change to a standard 4-3. I really hope he breaks out this year but I gotta say, I've been hearing that for 2 years now.

Nice post. I agree. That's why I think Collins will take over as he has the quick twitch hands etc. Sucks he got injured. Crawford is still a player, just not that prototype 3Tech you want in this system.

I also thought that should have been Hardys natural position as well last year.

Reactions: BAT

riverap00

Reaction score
Nice post. I agree. That's why I think Collins will take over as he has the quick twitch hands etc. Sucks he got injured. Crawford is still a player, just not that prototype 3Tech you want in this system.

Exactly. I think if you move Crawford to the 1 Tech and he has 5 sacks he will make the Pro Bowl. We need Double Digit sacks from the 3 Tech.

CCBoy

Reaction score

There is some development to today's picture, but there also seems to be a rotational depth that is developing with it.

I'm thinking that Rod Marinelli can get enough depth to attack for an entire game, and on into black n' blue, December. A 12 game season for both Gregory and Lawrence might actually be a good direction to take for the outside pressure.

A defensive line overhaul included parting ways with Greg Hardy, Jeremy Mincey, and Nick Hayden.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...ggest-question-cowboys-need-to-answer-at-camp

"On defense, I'll go with Tyrone Crawford. The three-tech is so important in Rod Marinelli's scheme and everything starts up front. I think Cedric Thornton could step into the role if Crawford was to go down, but they would be in trouble without Crawford. DeMarcus Lawrence and Byron Jones would probably be my next two players on that list."
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...boys-offense-defense-named-tony-romo-sean-lee

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Crawford gets no love. Couldn't bench 225 much less lift up his bad arm hardly still had a good year . I hope he stays healthy this year. If he does no doubt in my mind he will shut the haters up

Agree, he's our only anchor until week 5 in terms of pass rush unless an unknown shows in camp; Irving or Tapper? I like that Collins' rookie contract runs out the same time as Crawford. Let em prove it on the field who should start @ 3 tech long term.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Agree, he's our only anchor until week 5 in terms of pass rush unless an unknown shows in camp; Irving or Tapper? I like that Collins' rookie contract runs out the same time as Crawford. Let em prove it on the field who should start @ 3 tech long term.

At this point in the development, I'm saying the defensive line's interior will be improving quite a bit from the past two seasons.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
At this point in the development, I'm saying the defensive line's interior will be improving quite a bit from the past two seasons.

I really like our rotation inside considering Collins can also play some 1 tech (they all probably could tbh in spots). Thornton/Collins/McClain @ 1, Crawford/Collins/Irving @ 3 tech. Even if Irving kicks out to LE he could rotate @ 3 tech.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I really like our rotation inside considering Collins can also play some 1 tech (they all probably could tbh in spots). Thornton/Collins/McClain @ 1, Crawford/Collins/Irving @ 3 tech. Even if Irving kicks out to LE he could rotate @ 3 tech.

Big Star, sounds like an ideal Marinelli rotation group...no names? So be it...

Falco78

Reaction score
Crawford when healthy is a very disruptive player and while his contract is on the higher side if he were not injured last year nobody would be griping about it

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Should be playing LE, he was over-matched on early downs inside.

He played the entire season on 1 arm how do people keep glossing over this fact? Do you realize how painful a rotator cuff tear is? His left arm was useless and he still mustered 5 sacks with that blow up doll Hayden next to him. I bet he is a nightmare this year

superonyx

Reaction score
He played the entire season on 1 arm how do people keep glossing over this fact? Do you realize how painful a rotator cuff tear is? His left arm was useless and he still mustered 5 sacks with that blow up doll Hayden next to him. I bet he is a nightmare this year

My guess is that people are not as willing to give him a pass for the rotator cuff excuse since he has been injured every year in the league except for 1. He wasn't even that good the year he wasn't injured.
No matter what anyone says we all want him to be a monster this year...he is ours regardless of what he is being paid. It's just hard to count on him giving much when he hasn't yet proven he is capable due to injury or lack of production...same end result.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

People have been invested in him not being a very good player since his rookie season when Marinelli and the DL coach were high on him despite his sack totals. Add in the second contract and he's just never going to get the credit his level of play deserves. But he's a good DL already with upside to get better still. His best position is 3-tech, too. Im not sure what anybody's seeing to make them think he needs to play farther from the QB.