Ultimate Petitti Thread...

visionary

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Its not going convince any of the overreactors. Thats always the case with fans. They expect a rookie 6th round pick, to block all-pro DE one on one and while they expect rookie DE/LB to beat all-pro LT all the time. Its like as soon as they don the Cowboys Jersey, even if they are rookies, they are expected to be all-pro.

Its one thing if you are bashing Tucker, cause he is not rookie, even if he has changed positions etc. But bashing on Petiti is just rediculous. Heck Jordon Gross, Panthers RT, who was like top 5 pick if I remember right, can't beat out the Lt that Ware was abusing. Or that Robert Gallery, no. 2 pick overall, hasn't able to beat out to be LT for Raiders till now. But we expect our rookie 6th rounder to be rookie of the year instantly.

completely agree. i think petitti has played over his head this season. can you imagine the kind of trouble we'd be in if he werent here? also, i think tucker has been up and down but played decently enough. he was a guard originally so give his an off season and training camp and see how he does. give it a little time guys.

wsmith_1972

Reaction score
One thing i like about Petitti is that he has fire.

When he screws up he takes it personally. You can see him on the sidelines trying to figure it out. That is what it takes to be a good player. The guy is a rookie. Give him some time to figure out the league.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I don't want Tucker or Petitti to every suit up at those positions for atleast 3 years. We need pro bowl caliber tackles or atleast one pro bowl tackle, to be able to dominate in this league period

Yeah, this and that and moral victory and all that crap, but just because I'm happy over this win, doesn't dismiss the fact that these 2 guys, Rivera, and maybe Al Johnson need to be replaced.

Johnson can be cool if he gets stronger, but I would bring someone else in to challenge Rivera and Johnson. And LA needs to lose atleast 30 pounds, he's way to slow.

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
Guys,

I just cannot believe how lacking in compassion this site has been - esecially at this time of year!

Rob was never drafted to be dominating an ALL-PRO LT! He was thrown into the starting lineup way too early, and has been better than we could possibly have thought.

The kid may never visit the Pro Bowl as a player, but what will be, will be. I just think a few of you need to calm down and stop trying to destroy him on this board!

No wonder pittdawg never leaves any more messages!!

Merry Christmas from the UK.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Chrissyboy said:
Guys,

I just cannot believe how lacking in compassion this site has been - esecially at this time of year!

Rob was never drafted to be dominating an ALL-PRO LT! He was thrown into the starting lineup way too early, and has been better than we could possibly have thought.

The kid may never visit the Pro Bowl as a player, but what will be, will be. I just think a few of you need to calm down and stop trying to destroy him on this board!

No wonder pittdawg never leaves any more messages!!

Merry Christmas from the UK.
Nice kid, plays hard - We need talent there. You've seen what a great OLINE can do (Kansas City)

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
I don't know, forgive me Pitdawg, but when Peppers got in close and whispered to him that he wanted his rare and blew by and took out Drew, man that look by Drew afterwards priceless, not sure his future is as bright as us homers would like to admit..

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:
Yep.

Make no mistake, I am not happy with his play either but heck, I dont want to put Rob down, just doing an analogy only, it would be like throwing me out there and I would get owned, used, and abuse as well.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44632&page=7&pp=15

What do you think Mikey, the bold portion in my quote sound like a plan...we know it sounded like one to Parcells :D .

Very true.

pittdawg

Proud Father
Reaction score
BARRYRAY said:
I don't know, forgive me Pitdawg, but when Peppers got in close and whispered to him that he wanted his rare and blew by and took out Drew, man that look by Drew afterwards priceless, not sure his future is as bright as us homers would like to admit..

but i think rob played a pretty good game,contrary to most. when you ask a 1st year player to block a pro bowler, you have to be satisfied when the outcome is marginally in favor of the pro bowler. the two sacks rob gave up, yes two the other was against a back, did not change the outcome of the game. that's a huge win for us. the one inexcusable play was the false start on the q-sneak, with an aggressive penalty on the ruffing call. rob's run blocking was average to good with him putting peppers on his back at least two times.

with that said, rob is not the most penalized linemen on the team nor has he given up 18 sacks like one poster has said. taking into account that he has played every play, around 1200 so far, and has played with with a number of serious injuries, i think he has contributed greatly to the nine wins so far.

can he play better, no question. will he, no one knows. just remember, rob was thrown into the fire ready or not. i'm not making excuses, but who was going to play if not rob? he has given his all under some extremely difficult circumstances and has given dallas a chance to be in the playoffs.

the dallas fans have every right to expect better play from their team, but enrealistic expectations are difficult to achieve. are other rookie tackles playing better, i think at least one is, but others aren't. i'll just say that last week at washington in the first half before we gave the game away, rob had no penalties, no sacks, and blocked effectively. in the second half he did give up a sack, but we should have all gone home by then.

i realize that this is an internet board where fans can express their feelings, but those opinions mean very little to what the team is doing or going to do. rob needs to improve, but if he doesn't, i fully expect the team to look elsewhere for a solution. my money is on rob.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
pittdawg said:
but i think rob played a pretty good game,contrary to most. when you ask a 1st year player to block a pro bowler, you have to be satisfied when the outcome is marginally in favor of the pro bowler. the two sacks rob gave up, yes two the other was against a back, did not change the outcome of the game. that's a huge win for us. the one inexcusable play was the false start on the q-sneak, with an aggressive penalty on the ruffing call. rob's run blocking was average to good with him putting peppers on his back at least two times.

with that said, rob is not the most penalized linemen on the team nor has he given up 18 sacks like one poster has said. taking into account that he has played every play, around 1200 so far, and has played with with a number of serious injuries, i think he has contributed greatly to the nine wins so far.

can he play better, no question. will he, no one knows. just remember, rob was thrown into the fire ready or not. i'm not making excuses, but who was going to play if not rob? he has given his all under some extremely difficult circumstances and has given dallas a chance to be in the playoffs.

the dallas fans have every right to expect better play from their team, but enrealistic expectations are difficult to achieve. are other rookie tackles playing better, i think at least one is, but others aren't. i'll just say that last week at washington in the first half before we gave the game away, rob had no penalties, no sacks, and blocked effectively. in the second half he did give up a sack, but we should have all gone home by then.

i realize that this is an internet board where fans can express their feelings, but those opinions mean very little to what the team is doing or going to do. rob needs to improve, but if he doesn't, i fully expect the team to look elsewhere for a solution. my money is on rob.

Well said PD... and not just because you're related.

It seems most of us have realistic expectations for Rob. Heck, I started watching this team when we had guys like Rayfield Wright and Ralph Neeley at tackle. This team has a rich history of good to very, very good offensive tackles. And many expect Rob to be the second-coming of Erik Williams... virtually overnight-- and that ain't happening. Many know that is going to take time. Some are just unrealistic.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
pittdawg said:
rob needs to improve, but if he doesn't, i fully expect the team to look elsewhere for a solution. my money is on rob.
I hope he makes the improvement. What do you think are the areas he needs to improve in most?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
pittdawg said:

Peppers got 3 sacks but beat Rob on only two of them. The third one was on a stunt where he came around the DT and inside of Gurode who stayed with his man rather than coming off to pick up Peppers.

Considering the fact that Peppers is one of the best passrushing DEs in the league and Petitti is a 6th round rookie still learning the pro game I was not all that upset with his play. He does have a ways to go but then so did Erik Williams, Mark Tuinei, Flozell Adams, and just about every other OT the Cowboys have ever had.

I expect Rob to improve by next season with some more time in the weight room and working on his agility and technique. He has done very well at times and made mistakes at other times, just like most rookies.

Having a more experienced OL coach to work with would certainly not hurt either.

pittdawg

Proud Father
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
I hope he makes the improvement. What do you think are the areas he needs to improve in most?

improved conditioning and more strength. i think 10 or 15 lbs of muscle while staying at 325 lbs would do it. also, improved technique in pass blocking. i think his lateral movement is ok, but needs to work on balance.

TonyS

Reaction score
I think its hilarious how we complain about letting good/great players go (Jimmy Smith, etc...) and then we jump on a rookie who is doing his best to compete against top DEs in the league.

I agree that its frustrating watching him struggle sometimes, but I put the blame for this on Parcells/Coaching Staff for not being prepared with experienced OL depth.

I'm more than willing to give Rob a chance. Look at how bad Eli Manning looked at times last year (and some this year). Do you hear Gints fans calling for his dismissal?

If Rob had been a Number 1 pick for us, would our attitude about letting him develop change a bit?

I just hope we have the coaching staff that can take a promising young player and turn him into a pro-bowl RT.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
pittdawg said:

Mr. Petitti, you've got class.

I appreciate very much that you respect people's feelings and that you understand the need to express them. I think people are wrong about Rob and it isn't because of your membership here. I appreciate your honesty though.

He needs to get better and I think he will. For the most part I am satisfied with his level of play. I'd love to see what he can do if healthy for the entire season. I respect toughness, that's why I think he'll be fine. It would have been so easy for him to duck out and he hasn't.

Keep posting, even when the opinions are negative.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
pittdawg said:
improved conditioning and more strength. i think 10 or 15 lbs of muscle while staying at 325 lbs would do it. also, improved technique in pass blocking. i think his lateral movement is ok, but needs to work on balance.

Do you think that all the weight that Parcell had him drop in the offseason to make the team, hurt Rob's strength? I think lossing the weight was good, but the speed at which he lost it sometimes leads to players losing strength.

I also think Rob's lateral movement is passable, but I've seen him off balance a few times.

Thanks for your comments. I'm sure your use to it, but you have handled this situation with honor and class. I'm even more hopeful for Rob now, after watching you come hear and respond to all the neg. stuff. If Rob has your style, I'm sure he will make signifigant strides in the offseason.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
pittdawg said:

Great response. As I have stated in many posts, I believe Rob should be given a huge amount of credit for what he has done this year. He has had an amazing 9 months. I can't wait to see him next year!

scottsp

Reaction score
pittdawg said:

I tell ya, that's solid from where I sit. I have been critical of Rob, but not anymore than I would anyone else. As long as it's fair, fine by me. That having been said, that's a pretty damn fair assessment, IMO.