Ultimate Petitti Thread...

sportsman

Reaction score
should not be buried just because of his play this season. He did not come into training camp with any idea that he would be the starting right tackle for most of the season. I think he will become a much better player after he has a chance to digest this year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:
Like a Dog is still in here blaming Rob Petitti.

Your anger is misguided, you should be pointing the finger at the kroger's grocery shopper...

bill_parcells_b.jpg

Im still amazed people thought a 6th Rounder was going to just go out and totally dominate the likes of Strahan, U, Peppers, and Kearse.

You bet Mike. After Bledsoe the absolute worst situation was too lose our LT. We were totally unprepared for that likelyhood and it bit us right square in the but. I think Petitti and Tucker have done the best they could under the circumstances. But that "grocery buyer" has a lot to answer for.

roughneck266

Reaction score
I agree, he is a serviceable player. He is a rookie that has had alot of adversity to overcome. Not too easy walking into a starting spot on the oline right out of college. We are prolly about to get bombed for thinking this way though!

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
sportsman said:
should not be buried just because of his play this season. He did not come into training camp with any idea that he would be the starting right tackle for most of the season. I think he will become a much better player after he has a chance to digest this year.

Its not going convince any of the overreactors. Thats always the case with fans. They expect a rookie 6th round pick, to block all-pro DE one on one and while they expect rookie DE/LB to beat all-pro LT all the time. Its like as soon as they don the Cowboys Jersey, even if they are rookies, they are expected to be all-pro.

Its one thing if you are bashing Tucker, cause he is not rookie, even if he has changed positions etc. But bashing on Petiti is just rediculous. Heck Jordon Gross, Panthers RT, who was like top 5 pick if I remember right, can't beat out the Lt that Ware was abusing. Or that Robert Gallery, no. 2 pick overall, hasn't able to beat out to be LT for Raiders till now. But we expect our rookie 6th rounder to be rookie of the year instantly.

NorTex

Reaction score
Everyone needs to give the kid a break. He lost a bunch of weight this year...he totaly changed his body and then gets thrown in to the lion's den of the NFL.

When he gets stronger and more savy, which I believe he will, he will be a quality NFL tackle for many years to come.

The kid has HEART!

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
calcbfan1 said:
Everyone needs to give the kid a break. He lost a bunch of weight this year...he totaly changed his body and then gets thrown in to the lion's den of the NFL.

When he gets stronger and more savy, which I believe he will, he will be a quality NFL tackle for many years to come.

The kid has HEART!

Exactly. He may never be a pro-bowler maybe, but He will be sollid starter barring injuries, if his rookie season is an indication to the way he has played through injuries etc.

ZRO

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Its not going convince any of the overreactors. Thats always the case with fans. They expect a rookie 6th round pick, to block all-pro DE one on one and while they expect rookie DE/LB to beat all-pro LT all the time. Its like as soon as they don the Cowboys Jersey, even if they are rookies, they are expected to be all-pro.

Its one thing if you are bashing Tucker, cause he is not rookie, even if he has changed positions etc. But bashing on Petiti is just rediculous. Heck Jordon Gross, Panthers RT, who was like top 5 pick if I remember right, can't beat out the Lt that Ware was abusing. Or that Robert Gallery, no. 2 pick overall, hasn't able to beat out to be LT for Raiders till now. But we expect our rookie 6th rounder to be rookie of the year instantly.

Nobody expected him to be an all-pro, but he is what he is, a 6th round pick.

The only ones overreacting are the ones who can't face reality and are trying to see something that isn't there, trying to find some hidden ability in Pettiti that he doesn't have. He was a 6th round pick for a reason, and he's proving it on the field.

He's a career backup at best, we MUST upgrade in the offseason.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
ZRO said:
Nobody expected him to be an all-pro, but he is what he is, a 6th round pick.

The only ones overreacting are the ones who can't face reality and are trying to see something that isn't there, trying to find some hidden ability in Pettiti that he doesn't have. He was a 6th round pick for a reason, and he's proving it on the field.

He's a career backup at best, we MUST upgrade in the offseason.

Ok.. :rolleyes:

roughneck266

Reaction score
ZRO, out of curiosity, how many 6th round rookies have ever been what YOU THINK he SHOULD be?

Zman5

Reaction score
ZRO has some valid points.

It's amazing that people here all want to give Pettiti a break since he's a 6th rounder yet the same people think this 6th rounder will be a good solid starter next year for some reason.

Get a clue people. I highly doubt Pettiti will be a good solid starter after only one off season. He may turn out to be a solid starter after 3 years or so but all I see him doing next year is being a backup at best like he should have been this year.

We need to upgrade this position next year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bring in competition, so just in case, Pettiti shows that he's indeed a career backup, we have something to fall back on

plus competition never hurts, gets the, w/o a doubt, best players on the field, out of 2 talented options

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
sportsman said:

Digesting this year won't make much difference, but an off-season with the coaches, and some weight training, plus some good film work will make him into a very servicable starter at right tackle. He is struggling because he is a) tired, b) inexperienced, and c) and just plain raw talent. This years experience is going to serve him well when he sees some of these players the second time around.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
You bet Mike. After Bledsoe the absolute worst situation was too lose our LT. We were totally unprepared for that likelyhood and it bit us right square in the but. I think Petitti and Tucker have done the best they could under the circumstances. But that "grocery buyer" has a lot to answer for.

Yep.

Make no mistake, I am not happy with his play either but heck, I dont want to put Rob down, just doing an analogy only, it would be like throwing me out there and I would get owned, used, and abuse as well.

mickgreen58 said:
Nope. I said the Coaching Staff has to shoulder 80% of the blame, 20% is on Mr. Petitti.

Hmmm...a QB notorious for patting the ball and holding onto it for too long and fumbling is signed, sealed and deliver.

And the 1st bright idea the Big Whigs upstairs is...hmmm, let's draft a 6th Round LT, make him change his position and protect our newly acquired QB who has the attributes just mentioned.

Sorry...the braintrust has to shoulder most of this. With the exception of being called for a false start on a freakin sneak on 3rd and inches, Mr. Petitti gave me just what I expected against Strahan, U, Kearse etc etc.

I put Petitti right in the boat with the Peterman and Rogers Affair.

- Mike G.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44632&page=7&pp=15

What do you think Mikey, the bold portion in my quote sound like a plan...we know it sounded like one to Parcells :D .

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
Oh my god....you had to create a whole new thread when there already is the same THREAD FOR POSTS UP!!

merge!!!

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
sportsman said:

I was hopin he would do better but I think he will be ok. If we can get a better T then go for it. But if not I think Pettiti will be good. Just remember when Parcells wanted him to get down to 335 lbs and Pettiti showed at 325 lbs. 10 pounds under. So he will give it his all and I think he will do what it takes this off season to get better.

I aint quittin on Pettiti.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zman5 said:
It's amazing that people here all want to give Pettiti a break since he's a 6th rounder yet the same people think this 6th rounder will be a good solid starter next year for some reason.

Get a clue people. I highly doubt Pettiti will be a good solid starter after only one off season. He may turn out to be a solid starter after 3 years or so but all I see him doing next year is being a backup at best like he should have been this year.

We need to upgrade this position next year.
He was drafted to be a project. That is what you do with 6th round picks. Will he be a solid started in 3 years? Who knows. But he deserves a ton of credit for what he has done this year. And he really deserves a break for being forced into action when he wasn't ready AND played when he was hurt.

Zman5

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
He was drafted to be a project. That is what you do with 6th round picks. Will he be a solid started in 3 years? Who knows. But he deserves a ton of credit for what he has done this year. And he really deserves a break for being forced into action when he wasn't ready AND played when he was hurt.

Yes I agree that he did try but it doesn't change the fact that he is not very good right now. And like you said he was drafted to be a project and I don't think he'll improve enough in one year to be considered a good starter.

We need to someone better next year. I hope the braintrust at the Ranch has learned from this year and think this 6th round project will be the answer at RT next year and do nothing about it.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
calcbfan1 said:

The kid has HEART!

I agree, losing the kind of weight that he did in the offseason is tramatic to the body and robs you of strength. I year in the weight room will make a big difference in his development.