Unacceptable practice habits and mentality, issues of concern says Dak and Jourdan Lewis

mmohican29

Reaction score
Maybe this game of football has passed me by. I had always believed the coach was responsible for practice and getting the team ready to play. At least it was that way when Jimmy and Parcells were coaching.
Jimmy yes, Parcells.. eh...

He worked for his paycheck (did change the culture some) but his tenure here wasn't special. When he brought Testaverde & Bledsoe here I knew it was an eventually bust.

Ultimately, he taught the team to quit after the Seattle WC game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Either the Qb or the HC has to demand effort and focus in practices.....in the event that it doesn't happen a different team leader has to demand it

There is not a single leader that has the gravitas on offense to demand it.....not even Zack Martin. He's mailing it in this season after getting the bag yet again
The culture doesn’t even allow for it it left when Jimmy left. Even Aikman and Irvin stopped.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

So in a week we're going to fix this? When we're winning we can do all of this stuff, but soon as we're losing, we shouldn't be doing this? Cut it off period!!!! You play how you practice

This is probably the most concerning report to date. Shows a lot of these players are lazy, don't care, or have given up. Would love to know who these players are, coaching staff should bench them.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
What fun it would be to have a Jimmy type come in here and have an Irvin type to tell him all of the guys who are dogging it, coasting for checks, and mentally checked out. It would be worth another 1 win season to sweep all that rot out of the franchise.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We tend to focus on the players when the team is losing but I am starting to think Brian Baldinger hit the nail on the head with his recent comments about the Cowboys attention to details. It's the little things. Not running crisp route (Aikman), not running crisp stunts (Baldy), maintaining gap integrity, staying on blocks or just getting to the assigned guy to block, etc. All these things wind up costing the team. I watch other teams run screen plays and they manage to get a blocker on every defender to free the ball carrier for good yardage. Dallas runs a screen and it's a negative play.

Its been this way for a while. I read once that Vince Lombardi had his team run that famous power sweep play over and over in practice till they got it perfect. Not just good, it had to be perfect in every aspect. The Packers could run that play when every opponent knew it was coming and yet they could not stop it consistently. The Packers execution was always near perfect. I have no idea how the Cowboys practice but I get the impression they run a play a couple of times and move on to something else. They just look like they are a sloppy team. Missing blocks on offense, missing tackles on defense. Offensive linemen not picking up the stunt or twist and defensive linemen and LBs not maintaining their gap control. It's just poor execution, but when coupled with players who are not that good to begin with the result is 47-9.
The first thing lombardi did was shrink the playbook, to a small # of plays he liked, then made them practice till they could run them perfectly.
So they could execute plays better than most teams.

Teams now days are limited in what they can do in practice lol. The players union is partly responsible for ruining the nfl today.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They also informed Jerry. He cannot only land his chopper at practice on Mondays and Wednesdays now.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
The last two years has been all about new contracts for dak cd Micah Zach Martin McCarthy etc. they’ve been the same team for like 4 years now
They aren’t exactly a locked on group with a laser focus on any particular goals

Creeper

Reaction score
It baffles me every time we try to run a screen to a RB or a WR, I've been saying it for years that we're like the only team that can't run a successful screen pass. There's not enough attention to detail on the play. It's basically, we called a play, let's just go out there and run and see what happens, we have the star on our helmet, that'll get us 12 easy yards!!! Guys whiff on blocks, there's no deception in the play, everyone knows it's coming, it's poorly blocked. In the summer we hear how we're working on our screen game etc etc, and i'm like yeah right, we're going against our defense thinking we're good, we play against another NFL defense and they make us look foolish
YES! You bring up a good point about there being no deception. You have to sell screen plays to the defense. The Cowboys do not do this well and defenders are prepared for it. This is another key detail that they are missing. Are the players stupid, or is it the coaching.

I hate to bring up Jimmy Johnsons, but I recall how intolerant he was of mistakes. Guys who repeated mistakes were benched or cut. We miss that. When I hear Mike McCarthy complain about penalties, I want to scream. "Dude! You get what you tolerate!"

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
YES! You bring up a good point about there being no deception. You have to sell screen plays to the defense. The Cowboys do not do this well and defenders are prepared for it. This is another key detail that they are missing. Are the players stupid, or is it the coaching.

I hate to bring up Jimmy Johnsons, but I recall how intolerant he was of mistakes. Guys who repeated mistakes were benched or cut. We miss that. When I hear Mike McCarthy complain about penalties, I want to scream. "Dude! You get what you tolerate!"
Makes me question our players over the years on offense and defense when you mention are the players stupid, maybe not stupid, just lazy in their game prep. When it's mentioned that they had to dumb things down, are you serious???

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You can put together a team of talented individuals, give them a coach that keeps things light and loose, maintain a relaxed atmosphere, focus on individual achievements and you can win a lot of games. At some point you will face a team of talented individuals that has a coach that is demanding preparation, maintains a tight atmosphere, focuses on team goals and they will stomp you. This is IMHO in a nutshell the story of the Cowboys for the last 30 years.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe speaking softly behind closed doors isn't getting through to fellow players. Call them out on the sidelines, on the field, do not throw to them at all, change the dam play if you have to