Video: Undisputed: Lombardi's advice to Jerry: It's time to be aggressive

conner01

Reaction score
I don't see Tony being traded. Sounds good in theory but coming off serious injuries and big money owed, not to mention we have no depth at the position
The most likely scenario IsTony getting released in the off season

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
I don't see Tony being traded. Sounds good in theory but coming off serious injuries and big money owed, not to mention we have no depth at the position
The most likely scenario IsTony getting released in the off season

David Moore from the DMN went over this several times the last couple of weeks on the Ticket. Unless Romo decides to retire (don't see that at all), the salary cap will basically require him to be here until after the 2017 season. People might as well give up on this idea of trading him like this is baseball. He'll be here for a while yet, and good thing. Have seen plenty of young QBs play well to begin and then fall off a cliff (Shaun King, RGIII, Mark Sanchez, etc).

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I'm not a cap expert...but is it even possible to trade Romo before the trade deadline? I've heard conflicting reports. I think Lombardi makes excellent points, especially when he says "what can we do to make this team better" there are trade possibilities out there and we need some help at RDE and LB

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We wouldn't get any more for Romo by trading him now rather than the off season. We need a backup now so I would advise Jerry (ha!) to wait until the off season before making any trade involving Romo. The only thing that would cause me to change my opinion is if some team would be willing to overpay for Romo by a lot right now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to Skippy if he was the last announcer on earth .

And if he suggested trading Romo now he's just looking for headlines. No way in hell.

Now next year is a possibility if he doesn't play this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think there would be an immediate $20million Cap hit by trading Romo.
In other words, not gonna happen.
He will be the backup.
Last I looked only would save 4 million this year. Next year is where the savings would kick in. I'm sitting outside at the pool right now and can't look it up.

reddyuta

Reaction score
We are not getting anything for Romo with a broken back,if we really want to trade him then let him be healthy and show everybody he can still play and trade him in the offseason.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I don't know if I could deal with watching Tony in a different jersey.

This dude has been the Dallas Cowboys for years.

He's EARNED a ring with the Cowboys, IMO

This is the dude who helped change a strangers tire.

Took a bum to the movies.

Said all the right things with a ****-storm all around him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know if I could deal with watching Tony in a different jersey.

This dude has been the Dallas Cowboys for years.

He's EARNED a ring with the Cowboys, IMO

This is the dude who helped change a strangers tire.

Took a bum to the movies.

Said all the right things with a ****-storm all around him.
It might be his best chance to win a ring.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't see Jerry trading Romo. No way. That's like dumping your kid on the curb and taking off. That's how he will see it. He's too loyal to his players. Always has been.

This has one of the things I both admired about Jerry and disliked at the same time.
He hangs on to players too long. I said it about Troy Aikman, Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith and, now, Tony Romo.

Sometimes, you have to read the handwriting on the wall. But Jerry doesn't do that. Just like Aikman, he'll likely continue to believe there's just "one piece" we need to get Aikman that fourth ring or Tony Romo that first ring. But reality, based on injuries and age, says "It's closer to the end of the road than the beginning."

I really wish Tony Romo had won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys. But the reality is - based on past experience - that Romo will likely get hurt again. And rather than take that risk, you need to let him get healthy on the bench and prepare him for a trade. Dak needs to the reps, and he is the future.

Unfortunately, the future has come too soon for Romo.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I click on that link...is there going to be audio with Skip Bayless talking on it? Somebody help me out.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
David Moore from the DMN went over this several times the last couple of weeks on the Ticket. Unless Romo decides to retire (don't see that at all), the salary cap will basically require him to be here until after the 2017 season. People might as well give up on this idea of trading him like this is baseball. He'll be here for a while yet, and good thing. Have seen plenty of young QBs play well to begin and then fall off a cliff (Shaun King, RGIII, Mark Sanchez, etc).

With all due respect, Shaun King was too small, RGIII too fragile and always looked to run first and Mark Sanchez was carried by his team. I don't have that feeling with respect to Dak in any of those categories.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I agree with Lombardi. If there is a team out there willing to make a trade, I think the it needs to be done. It's likely gonna need to be done either this season or in the offseason, anyway.

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm not a cap expert...but is it even possible to trade Romo before the trade deadline? I've heard conflicting reports. I think Lombardi makes excellent points, especially when he says "what can we do to make this team better" there are trade possibilities out there and we need some help at RDE and LB

He suggested Cam Wake but also said Wake is 34. 34?!?!? Uh, no.