Video: Undisputed: Lombardi's advice to Jerry: It's time to be aggressive

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
David Moore from the DMN went over this several times the last couple of weeks on the Ticket. Unless Romo decides to retire (don't see that at all), the salary cap will basically require him to be here until after the 2017 season. People might as well give up on this idea of trading him like this is baseball. He'll be here for a while yet, and good thing. Have seen plenty of young QBs play well to begin and then fall off a cliff (Shaun King, RGIII, Mark Sanchez, etc).
Everyone should read this.

Reaction score
Has zero to do with it.

The question is not whether Jones should or even could trade Romo.

I wish that false narrative would just go away. It is a non-question.

He can't. His contract is mortgaged more than any other player in the NFL.

This was the corner painted when the "five more years" thing came out.

It is not happening this year.

Even just doing it cold style in offseason would be hairy.
I can guarantee you Romo could be making a minimum salary and he wouldn't trade him.

Your right, Jerry can't trade him. But even if he could, he wouldn't.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Can't afford to trade Romo regardless of who you start. Trade Romo and you go back to not having a backup QB, so you go back to being one hit away from the season being over. Whereas right now if one gets hurt the other can at least give you a chance. Just my two cents, and I'd hate seeing Romo on another team.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
While true, that's all hindsight. This is happening now. People weren't saying that about them at the time. King was lauded, Sanchez was Sanchise, and RGIII was Randall Cunningham to everybody back then. Many morons were annointing Tebow, for crying out loud. Just saying, it has happened a bunch.

Who lauded Shaun King? He benefited from the Buccaneers tremendous defense. He was the epitome of a bus driver.

Sanchise was a cute nickname, but even he was not seen as a franchise quarterback.

RGIII was a good quarterback his rookie year. But there were still concerns about his ability to take off and run from the pocket, his reliance on his feet with such a frail body and his inability to slide.

And Tim Tebow? LOL! I was a huge Tim Tebow fan, but even I had to admit his accuracy was one of the worst in the history of starting quarterbacks.

Look, Dak may not be the next Montana, but he has more of the tangibles and, apparently, the intangibles than the guys you mentioned.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
We are not getting anything for Romo with a broken back,if we really want to trade him then let him be healthy and show everybody he can still play and trade him in the offseason.

That's what the Eagles thought about Bradford and look what they got. People saying Romo is not worth anything is laughable. There are teams out there willing to take a risk on Romo. If and that's a big if he stays healthy the man can play.

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
Who lauded Shaun King? He benefited from the Buccaneers tremendous defense. He was the epitome of a bus driver.

Sanchise was a cute nickname, but even he was not seen as a franchise quarterback.

RGIII was a good quarterback his rookie year. But there were still concerns about his ability to take off and run from the pocket, his reliance on his feet with such a frail body and his inability to slide.

And Tim Tebow? LOL! I was a huge Tim Tebow fan, but even I had to admit his accuracy was one of the worst in the history of starting quarterbacks.

Look, Dak may not be the next Montana, but he has more of the tangibles and, apparently, the intangibles than the guys you mentioned.

He got the same kind of glowing reports from fans and media that Prescott is getting, though I don't know if he was actually a rookie or not. Sanchez went to two AFC CCGs and got a ton of the same kind of hype. RGIII was anointed even more quickly, probably because he was a Heisman winner (which is idiotic). Like I said, all of that is hindsight, and this is happening now. Better to learn from past history and take caution rather than look for reasons why it simply CANNOT happen for Dallas with this and get blindsided by it. It's still time to be patient.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you need to ask Romo what happens if Jerry says grab some pine Tony. I don't see him sitting to finish his career, he may ask for a trade, and jerry will grant it to him. If I could stomach Emmitt somewhere else, I can sure as heck do it with Romo.

Reaction score
That's what the Eagles thought about Bradford and look what they got. People saying Romo is not worth anything is laughable. There are teams out there willing to take a risk on Romo. If and that's a big if he stays healthy the man can play.
The Vikings paid a ton because they think they are a Super Bowl contender right now. And they could be right.

There aren't too many Super Bowl contenders that need a QB today. Lombardi talked about the Jets, 49ers, Miami, But none of these teams are close to winning anything in the near future. They aren't going to give up first round draft picks for a 36 year old QB coming off multiple injuries. They are not the Vikings.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree with Shannon Sharp I wouldn't trade Romo during the season in the event Dak got injured UNLESS someone offered us a viable pass rusher. It would have to be Romo for a pass rusher and a good one. Don't see anyone wanting to trade for him now with all the games he's missed and coming off a broken back. Something would have to be worked out during the offseason.

Last edited:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Rat, people saying Romo isn't worth anything haven't been watching Rams or Jets or Texans football this year. (Great teams missing that elusive QB -- tho Jets D has underperformed, but that's a topic for a different thread.)

Meaning, they don't know what they're talking about.

But, Tony is a franchise QB, and as a backup, means we can lose Dak to injury (god forbid) and still have an elite guy behind the helm. After the season, if Jerry can get a first from a big market team reeling for a first, I would consider it. This kills me to say, as a bleeding Romo fanatic.

reddyuta

Reaction score

sure but you are not getting even getting a 2nd RD pick for him now.why trade him if thats the case?.I really dont want to see Mark Sanchez ever playing QB for us.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The Vikings paid a ton because they think they are a Super Bowl contender right now. And they could be right.

There aren't too many Super Bowl contenders that need a QB today. Lombardi talked about the Jets, 49ers, Miami, But none of these teams are close to winning anything in the near future. They aren't going to give up first round draft picks for a 36 year old QB coming off multiple injuries. They are not the Vikings.

This. All day. Good job, RXP (for whatever that's worth coming from me :) )

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If I click on that link...is there going to be audio with Skip Bayless talking on it? Somebody help me out.
KID #1 What’s this stuff?
KID #2 Some blowhard. Supposed to be sports related.
KID #1 Did you try it?
KID #2 I’m not gonna try it. You try it.
KID #2 Slides laptop toward KID #1.
KID #1 I’m not gonna try it.
KID #1 Slides the laptop back to KID #2.
KID #2 Let’s get Mikey!
KID #1 Yeah!

ANOTHER ANGLE Reveals another kid, MIKEY, sitting at the far end of the table.
KID #2 Slides laptop toward MIKEY. Mikey looks blankly at the laptop.
BACK TO The other kids as they look off-screen toward Mikey.

KID #2 He won’t watch it. He hates everything…

SFX – GAGGING NOISES

KID#2 HE'S SEIZING! HEY MIKEY!

ANGLE ON MIKEY As he rolls his eyes and falls off the chair

. NARRATOR If it's Bayless, don’t let the kids watch Bayless

A CLOSEUP Of the laptop.
ZOOM OUT to reveal Kid #1 and Kid #2 performing CPR in the background.​

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I think you need to ask Romo what happens if Jerry says grab some pine Tony. I don't see him sitting to finish his career, he may ask for a trade, and jerry will grant it to him. If I could stomach Emmitt somewhere else, I can sure as heck do it with Romo.

Interesting comparison, and thought-provoking, noshame.

slick325

Reaction score
While true, that's all hindsight. This is happening now. People weren't saying that about them at the time. King was lauded, Sanchez was Sanchise, and RGIII was Randall Cunningham to everybody back then. Many morons were annointing Tebow, for crying out loud. Just saying, it has happened a bunch.

Good points. You can add Kaepernick, Nick Foles and Josh Freeman to the list as well. Plenty of QB's have had A good season. That's why I just want Prescott to keep developing and improving. I'm excited about what he has shown and what the future may hold but it is tempered. Consistency over games and years is what makes a QB a franchise guy. As Tony said..."The game is a great game, but you have to keep getting better. The game will humble you if you don't continue to be at your best week in and week out."

"The hard part for quarterbacks is carrying bad teams. If you're able to do that -- if you're able to carry an average team, you’re going to play quarterback for a decade or longer because, ultimately, your team is not going to have a 10-12 year run of great teammates and great players.

"It just isn't possible with free agency, age, injury and the salary cap. If you're able to survive those years when your team isn't that good ,and you're carrying them and giving them an opportunity to compete game in and game out, then organization is always going to have you there." Tony Romo couldn't be more correct with those words...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Romo is worth something but Bradford is 28 years old and isn't coming off a broken back. Granted Bradford has had a lot injury issues but last season he stayed relatively healthy and played very well for Philly the final few games of the season which got his arrow pointing up. Due to his youth there's still room for him to improve and we're seeing that. Romo's arrow is pointing down, his best days have come and gone and anyone willing to trade for him would have to be willing to bank he can survive a couple of more years.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
It's only going to need to be done if Romo asks for his trade or release.
If Dak didn't turn out to be as good as he has then we would have had the same amount of money tied up into the QB position. Dak being good doesn't change the amount we already allocated to the QB position.
Maybe it would be nice to spend the $20 million on overpaid aging free agents this coming offseason but it would also be nice to have a HOF level QB capable of playing at this level on the team as an insurance policy.

Unless Romo requests a trade or release I don't see it as something we have to do.
You can't have a backup as expensive as Romo. Period. Especially if you want our oline to get re-signed.