Video: Undisputed: Lombardi's advice to Jerry: It's time to be aggressive

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I don't see Jerry trading Romo. No way. That's like dumping your kid on the curb and taking off. That's how he will see it. He's too loyal to his players. Always has been.
I completely disagree. Trading Tony is actually finding him another avenue to continue playing. There are several teams that are likely a Romo away from being a contender.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I agree with Shannon, I'd deal him in the offseason

This is where I come down too... You can't just cut him. Franchise QBs don't grow on trees. If Tony hit the open market-- there'd be a number of teams lining up for his services and he'd be the "splash" free agent signing of the offseason.

IMO-- JJ should play this cool. Lombardi wants the cap room to improve the roster in other areas. But we don't "have" to cut or trade Romo. He's under contract. If we are turning the keys over to Dak-- then you have the best damn backup QB in the history of the NFL. If some team comes along and wants to pay me a boatload of picks for Tony-- then I'll listen, but I'm not shopping him around like I want to get rid of him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't see Jerry trading Romo. No way. That's like dumping your kid on the curb and taking off. That's how he will see it. He's too loyal to his players. Always has been.
Has zero to do with it.

The question is not whether Jones should or even could trade Romo.

I wish that false narrative would just go away. It is a non-question.

He can't. His contract is mortgaged more than any other player in the NFL.

This was the corner painted when the "five more years" thing came out.

It is not happening this year.

Even just doing it cold style in offseason would be hairy.

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
With all due respect, Shaun King was too small, RGIII too fragile and always looked to run first and Mark Sanchez was carried by his team. I don't have that feeling with respect to Dak in any of those categories.

While true, that's all hindsight. This is happening now. People weren't saying that about them at the time. King was lauded, Sanchez was Sanchise, and RGIII was Randall Cunningham to everybody back then. Many morons were annointing Tebow, for crying out loud. Just saying, it has happened a bunch.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
This is where I come down too... You can't just cut him. Franchise QBs don't grow on trees. If Tony hit the open market-- there'd be a number of teams lining up for his services and he'd be the "splash" free agent signing of the offseason.

IMO-- JJ should play this cool. Lombardi wants the cap room to improve the roster in other areas. But we don't "have" to cut or trade Romo. He's under contract. If we are turning the keys over to Dak-- then you have the best damn backup QB in the history of the NFL. If some team comes along and wants to pay me a boatload of picks for Tony-- then I'll listen, but I'm not shopping him around like I want to get rid of him.
Right, but it could be argued that trading him during the season may be easier as there could be a couple of desperate teams that know, right now, they need a franchise level QB. I'm not sure that level of desperation is so prevalent in the off season.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Jerry needs to put emotion to the side. If he wants to resign Zach Martin, Collins, some of these secondary pieces - he has to recoup that cap space from Tony.
I agree. If he's such a "business man" then he needs to make a "business decision."

Staubacher

Reaction score
What do all you geniuses propose doing if God forbid Dak gets hurt? Its football. We are having a special season and a franchise QB waiting in the wings. So yeah let's kick Tony to the curb and hope nothing happens to Dak to wreck our season.

Lots of people just wanting Romo to get dissed for some reason. Absolutely stupid to not have two excellent QBs ready to play this season on a potential Super Bowl run.

slick325

Reaction score

Steve Young and Joe Montana say hello @Hawkeye19...but I get what you're saying.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
What do all you geniuses propose doing if God forbid Dak gets hurt? Its football. We are having a special season and a franchise QB waiting in the wings. So yeah let's kick Tony to the curb and hope nothing happens to Dak to wreck our season.

Lots of people just wanting Romo to get dissed for some reason. Absolutely stupid to not have two excellent QBs ready to play this season on a potential Super Bowl run.
If Dak get's hurt, then the backup comes in. No different than any other team. Tony is far more valuable traded, than riding the pine here, IMO.

Zordon

Reaction score
Ok this mentality is acceptable for the rest of this year but not after this season. You can't keep a 20M backup just b/c you're paralyzed in fear that your starter will get hurt. Same guy who never missed a game in college and is built like a mini tank.

Shuff

Reaction score
Jets and Niners need QB's. Love Tony, but this is business, you trade him now and reap some benefits, wait and he will not be worth anything. Gotta strike while the iron is hot!

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
Ok this mentality is acceptable for the rest of this year but not after this season. You can't keep a 20M backup just b/c you're paralyzed in fear that your starter will get hurt. Same guy who never missed a game in college and is built like a mini tank.

You can if you're paying your starter fourth round money for the next three seasons. If Romo truly gets Wally Pipped, I imagine he'll be willing to rework his contract again. He'll be here until after next season if he doesn't just hang it up, which isn't a bad thing from a football standpoint.

superonyx

Reaction score
I agree with Lombardi. If there is a team out there willing to make a trade, I think the it needs to be done. It's likely gonna need to be done either this season or in the offseason, anyway.
It's only going to need to be done if Romo asks for his trade or release.
If Dak didn't turn out to be as good as he has then we would have had the same amount of money tied up into the QB position. Dak being good doesn't change the amount we already allocated to the QB position.
Maybe it would be nice to spend the $20 million on overpaid aging free agents this coming offseason but it would also be nice to have a HOF level QB capable of playing at this level on the team as an insurance policy.

Unless Romo requests a trade or release I don't see it as something we have to do.

Staubacher

Reaction score

I am talking about this season. We need to grab the ring this year, who cares about the future right now. We are dominant with Dak and Romo. Screw Jerry's money paying Tony is a small price for Super Bowl insurance. All in this year, evetybody stays period.

Zordon

Reaction score
I don't know if I could deal with watching Tony in a different jersey.

This dude has been the Dallas Cowboys for years.

He's EARNED a ring with the Cowboys, IMO

This is the dude who helped change a strangers tire.

Took a bum to the movies.

Said all the right things with a ****-storm all around him.
Ok you can think that as a fan. The GM needs to be more level headed. That is if you like seeing Zach Martin in a Cowboys uniform. You owe the rest of the team the best opportunity to succeed. That means using that cap space on needs on the defense and locking up the best player on our oline.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Appreciate the respect that Tony is getting in this thread, from both sides of the argument. Well done, Zoners!

I'm on the side that says keep him till after the season is over. We can't trust this potential contender to the hands of Sanchez. Hell to the no. If we want to entertain trades in the offseason, so be it <shudders>