Undisputed-Skip and Shannon: Problem with Cowboys expecting Dak to take less to stay in Dallas

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Here's one for thought.....Dak gets his zillion dollar contract what do you tell Zeke and his agent?

In the meantime you have Coop,Byron to re-sign.

P.S. Players are already doubting Dak's ability add to that a huge new contract that's a recipe for a mutiny....

I don't have a good answer, PAPPYDOG.

Zeke and the O-Line have been the heart and soul of the offense for 3 years. Cooper played 11 games for Dallas. So, if Cooper gets a long term, high dollar deal, Doesn't the FO almost have to give Zeke a new deal?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have a good answer, PAPPYDOG.

Zeke and the O-Line have been the heart and soul of the offense for 3 years. Cooper played 11 games for Dallas. So, if Cooper gets a long term, high dollar deal, Doesn't the FO almost have to give Zeke a new deal?

Yep I consider a gimmie a new deal for Zeke this off-season.
I mean after all if anyone deserves a new deal its Zeke!

dckid

Reaction score
Here you go and hence Stephan's dilemma...

God help us if they cave in and give this lemon a massive contract....

Sorry guys Rob Parker is spot on... I only heard the first 4 minutes.. He really did articulate in a very good way the doubts we have about Dak.
Give me examples of games he won when things are not going great. The Defense is down, the pass rush is relentless. Yes I know its a team game, of course we all know that. We are not stupid. To win the SB the team has to play well from end to end.
Like I have stated in other posts, I am good with paying Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, Brees, Luck...
I don't think it makes sense to pay him 28-30 per year, that is a stupid decision.
Pay him 20 million a year, and give him an early out. You go from making 800K to 20 million shows the team believes in you we just want you to show us more.
I'm all for giving him an early out after year 3 to renegotiate..

Hardline

Reaction score
Texas isn't even Dak's home state.
What's up with the hometown discount talk?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
only Cowboy fans would not like a QB because he keeps going to the playoffs.

I was a Romo fan before most, but heres what i like about Dak over Romo, i dont feel the sense of interception everytime Dak throws. and yes Dak is giving that sense of, "this team will be in the playoffs when im at the helm" Sorry but you gotta like 2 out of 3 seasons in the playoffs.

this is why i want to have high hopes for KM. i didnt like the move, but he can prove me wrong. Get this core to work to their strengths. its a mobile qb, use it. get that back up qb ready but have everything gelling.

conner01

Reaction score
Team friendly doesn’t have to mean cheap
For the team structure is just as important as price
Many of these contracts we see aren’t what they appear. Many are really 3-4 yr deals that cost little to move on from after that and that’s very important to the team

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yep I consider a gimmie a new deal for Zeke this off-season.
I mean after all if anyone deserves a new deal its Zeke!

No, first of all Zeke has 2 years left on his deal, he's a free agent after 2020, Dak's a free agent after this year. Yes he deserves a new deal, but that's an argument the team can make for not giving him a new deal this year. So I don't agree a new deal is a gimmie.

Second, the money we're talking about is much different, there are 17 quarterbacks with average salaries over $20 mil a year, no running back is even at $15 mil, at least to date per Sportrac. So it's not as big a deal to the team, money-wise.

Third Zeke does have the suspension, Dak's been totally "clean" as far as the NFL is concerned. Now we can believe and agree that Zeke's suspension was unwarranted or just plain wrong, but he WAS suspended, Cowboys can bring that up if they choose.

I don't see Zeke will get a new contract this year, but it's up to the Cowboys, not saying it may not happen..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Like I have stated in other posts, I am good with paying Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, Brees, Luck...
I don't think it makes sense to pay him 28-30 per year, that is a stupid decision.
Pay him 20 million a year, and give him an early out. You go from making 800K to 20 million shows the team believes in you we just want you to show us more.
I'm all for giving him an early out after year 3 to renegotiate..

You have Derek Carr making $25 mil. Would have been in the playoffs 1 time, but suffered a broken leg in the last game, but let's say he would have won that game, still that's no more than Dak has. ONE winning season in 5. Overall 32-46 record. Dak's been in the playoffs 2 of 3 years, overall 32-16.

Matthew Stafford makes $27 mil average, and he's been in the playoffs only 3 times in 9 years, lost every time.

Kirk Cousins makes $28 mil, and he has an overall losing record, lost the only playoff game he started in 5 years.

Is Dak "worth" $28-30 mil a year? I'd say no, $25 mil is more like it. But consider this - in May of 2018 Matt Ryan became the highest paid quarterback at $30 mil a year. 5 months later Rodgers got $33.5 mil a year. 8 months later Wilson gets $35 mil a year. Now Dak isn't in their league, at this point anyway, but as the top salaries go up, lesser players' salaries also go up, on the average. $30 mil now would be tied with Ryan for 3rd highest. But what about 1-2-3 years from now? The top salary could well be near $40 mil, like say if Garroppolo really shines, or Mayfield continues to impress, etc.

My point is that IF Dak improves, or even just the team improves, if the Cowboys wait then Dak could easily make a case for over $30 mil a year. Locking him in at even $30 mil now will be a great deal in a year or two or three. Of course he may not improve, but that's what the Cowboys need to decide - do they take the gamble, or not? If they tag him, then they're still out nearly $25 mil, not that much less than $30, and even closer if he signs for $28 mil.

It's an unknown, of course, if you think Dak has plateaued, then he's not worth $28-30. If you think he will improve, then it's pay him $28-30 now, or $32 mil next year...

Carson

Reaction score
So. Basically ...

Dallas pays Dak. They overpaid for an average QB.

If Dallas does not overpay, he will go get that money elsewhere and that’s ok?

InTheZone

Reaction score
So. Basically ...

Dallas pays Dak. They overpaid for an average QB.

If Dallas does not overpay, he will go get that money elsewhere and that’s ok?
We shouldn't care what other teams do to hinder their team. We need to look at If Dak at whatever contract is that much better than another guy given the system and supporting cast he'll have.

shabazz

Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe doesn’t think Dak’s good enough to get the big money, but he desperately wants him to hold out for it. Anything that cripples the Cowboys is what Horseface wants, so he can still strut and preen and smirk with that big, poop-eating grin for big broadcast bucks.

And still yet......he’s 100% correct

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Here's one for thought.....Dak gets his zillion dollar contract what do you tell Zeke and his agent?

In the meantime you have Coop,Byron to re-sign.

P.S. Players are already doubting Dak's ability add to that a huge new contract that's a recipe for a mutiny....

I have not seen anything on the PS portion of your post. Do you have proof of that statement or is it just the hatred you have for Dak? Goodness Pappy, sometimes I wonder if your even a Cowboy fan.

dckid

Reaction score
You have Derek Carr making $25 mil. Would have been in the playoffs 1 time, but suffered a broken leg in the last game, but let's say he would have won that game, still that's no more than Dak has. ONE winning season in 5. Overall 32-46 record. Dak's been in the playoffs 2 of 3 years, overall 32-16.

Matthew Stafford makes $27 mil average, and he's been in the playoffs only 3 times in 9 years, lost every time.

Kirk Cousins makes $28 mil, and he has an overall losing record, lost the only playoff game he started in 5 years.

Is Dak "worth" $28-30 mil a year? I'd say no, $25 mil is more like it. But consider this - in May of 2018 Matt Ryan became the highest paid quarterback at $30 mil a year. 5 months later Rodgers got $33.5 mil a year. 8 months later Wilson gets $35 mil a year. Now Dak isn't in their league, at this point anyway, but as the top salaries go up, lesser players' salaries also go up, on the average. $30 mil now would be tied with Ryan for 3rd highest. But what about 1-2-3 years from now? The top salary could well be near $40 mil, like say if Garroppolo really shines, or Mayfield continues to impress, etc.

My point is that IF Dak improves, or even just the team improves, if the Cowboys wait then Dak could easily make a case for over $30 mil a year. Locking him in at even $30 mil now will be a great deal in a year or two or three. Of course he may not improve, but that's what the Cowboys need to decide - do they take the gamble, or not? If they tag him, then they're still out nearly $25 mil, not that much less than $30, and even closer if he signs for $28 mil.

It's an unknown, of course, if you think Dak has plateaued, then he's not worth $28-30. If you think he will improve, then it's pay him $28-30 now, or $32 mil next year...

You have some very good points.
I think the QB salary structure is really out of whack right now. The guys who are true Franchise guys are finally getting paid, and I have no issue with that. Russell Wilson, Rodgers, Brees,
Stafford- Just a bad contract no matter how you spin it.
Ryan- he should have won the SB two years ago on that large contract.
Kirk Cousins- Hit the market at the right time. Like a Suh, Nate Solder, you name the guy who hit FA at the right time and got paid. It happens every single year and the team has immediate regret.
Jimmy G- Too much money paid to an uproven guy. Another right time at right place situation. Niners overplayed their hand. I cannot understand it. They should have paid him ~20 per year.

Dak- I'm fine with paying him low 20's.. similar to Nick Foles or slightly more. If your friend jumps off the bridge will you do the same thing?

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe doesn’t think Dak’s good enough to get the big money, but he desperately wants him to hold out for it. Anything that cripples the Cowboys is what Horseface wants, so he can still strut and preen and smirk with that big, poop-eating grin for big broadcast bucks.
Shannon hates for the sake of their show. Unlike Steven A-hole

ESisback

Reaction score
Shannon hates for the sake of their show. Unlike Steven A-hole

I think it’s both. He hates for the show, AND he’s a giant, smirky awesome person, who privately resents the Dallas Cowboys. As a player, he and his team were always second rate in comparison, and like so many, he holds a grudge.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What I wanna know is how did u get that symbol in the title, so cool!!! :omg:
That was a little errie.

My touchscreen was not typing and spitting out random symbol.

I think it was the spirit of Babe Laufenburg channeling one of his drool stories about being a player.

Hate that guy.

For a guy that had one of the shortest player careers in football program history..

he has sure profited.

:huh:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Having trouble with my touch screen.

Sorry.

Correct title is

Skip and Shannon: Problem with Cowboys expecting DAK to take less to stay in Dallas

Mods..correct if you can.

Thanx.

why? he has to take less then then whom? he isnt even considered borderline Elite,

so LESS than $30-35 elite QBs like RW and AR

UMM YES hes taking less hes a 25mil per year guy, I wouldnt even give him Cousins and Satfford money, I know those are stat guys like ROMO but cousins dropped 30 passing tds to only 10picks..Dak would have to combine 2 yrs to outdo that, as player at any postion the stas are wahat you are paid to do the other intangibles you can consider but you cant overpay a guy because the top of the market changed

..i know they arent winning anything and are way overpaid, carr at 27mil also is overpaid but thats where Dak belongs in the 10-12 pay scale of QBs and that put him starting at 25 thats what id offer, tell him take it or leave it because if he wants more he may lose Zeke and Aamri, with Texas Taxes being so much less , Housing cheaper, and market huge for making marketing and ADD bucks, Stephen should be an easy sell at 25..logic says thats what he should take..if they strong arm their way to 27 maybe SJ settles their like he did with Tank..

Id like to hear how 25million is somehow giving us discount taking into consideration Daks production and where hes playing..its his second contract vs RW third, RW proved he could jump from 22 to 35 still not worth it but he had his best year as pro ast year . we can revisit Dak when he elevates himself into a 34 td low INT guy..its not hate its reality.25mil is highest on team and its truly his market and where hes at as player..2 mil to 25 mil will insult him? I say goodbye if they are trying to get 30+