Undisputed- Stephen Jones says Dak Prescott's deal will have to be team friendly

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The franchise tag for QBs this season is $25 million...………...as we saw with DLaw, the franchise tag is the floor for negotiations, not the ceiling.

Dak's contract will end up averaging between $25-$28 million based on current market dynamics. That is in the range of Stafford, Grappolo, and Cousins. Hard to argue Dak should not be paid accordingly, especially when Dak has a playoff win under his belt and Stafford, Grappolo, and Cousins dont have a single playoff win combined.

The only way, and I say ONLY way I would take less than $25 if I am Dak's agent is if the deal is short term, say three years, and the Cowboys agree not to use the franchise tag at the end of the three year deal.

I really don't think it's hard to argue at all. I honestly don't know what the number is for the Cowboys but I would not be surprised if something in the area of 20-22. I really don't know, I haven't seen any numbers discussed.

lukin2006

Reaction score
they need another big WR for the deep game to be most effective.

actually, we should maybe start thinking of this different - I've never seen JGs system dominate without a big time X WR (Dez or TO)

I think Wilson is that guy, but wont see the most targets. Don't be surprised if we see

x - Wilson / Cooper / Gallup
y - Gallup / Wilson / Austin
z - Cooper / Cobb / Austin

With these guys moved around - hard to scheme against this when it's hard to figure out who's playing x / y / z ... it's not like you can take away Cooper and not leaves big holes for all that speed to exploit. They are quite serious about the no #1 WR thing

If the OL can deliver a clean pocket or if they roll Dak outside - they'll be very dangerous

note, Gallup and Wilson have to deliver in the red zone, that gets easier with Witten on the field.

With Cooper as a threat, Gallup becoming more of a threat, and Cobb being a bigger threat than Beas they should be able to run more 4-5 receiver sets and go deep a 7 or so times a game. Remember they started using Zeke on deep routes...I can see some Cooper/Gallup/Cobb/Austin/Zeke on the field at the same time...especially if they are letting KM design the offence. I think KM will want to put his mark on the O.

Flamma

Reaction score
With Cooper as a threat, Gallup becoming more of a threat, and Cobb being a bigger threat than Beas they should be able to run more 4-5 receiver sets and go deep a 7 or so times a game. Remember they started using Zeke on deep routes...I can see some Cooper/Gallup/Cobb/Austin/Zeke on the field at the same time...especially if they are letting KM design the offence. I think KM will want to put his mark on the O.

I'm actually excited to see what Dak can do with these guys. But I'd rather keep it at 3 or 4 WR sets so we have both a rushing threat from Zeke and Dak. And those 5WR sets never seem to work out.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Dak is a lifelong Cowboy's fan who has a team around him that can win SB's. He's a smart man and will do what's far.
*I'm grooving to the sounds of the tune this cat is laying down*:yourock:

**also, I reckon I'm a stalwart SKIP BAYLESS FAN as of today,,,er,,,until further notice:starspin:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It's a nice way of saying they don't think he's an elite quarterback and they want to pay him accordingly. Do you think if Patrick Mahomes or Baker Mayfield stand out for the next three years they'll be asking them for a team friendly deal?
Man Alive, if the attack scheme was configured straight from the gate ,exemplifying the pretty awesome strengths/footballin' character traits of the #4,,, I could embrace a couple three+ million above that 15 million maximum per year ( IMO) his product
( so far) is valued at,,,

*at this stage of the game? I'm not all that certain extensive boning up time in the film study room would prove of much benefit,,, heck, I'd be more inclined to instill an unorthodox approach in addressing his post snap brain fade/tunnel vision( that's still pretty apparent) in making it more manageable,,,like high stress/ intensity paintball battles, that cost a cool $1,000 per being hit( ,,,ya, well,,, it's a mental shut down/ block in his gameplay that's preventing him from commanding top tier cabbage in the first place ya know?,,, as far as being built physically for the game? #4 casts shadows over 3/4 of starting q.b.'s out there)

Sandyf

Reaction score
The one thing not talked about in any of the Dak threads on his contract and Stephen's team friendly is how much is the number Stephen is talking about being team friendly. Is it $22 million a year avg or $27 million or $30 million, does anyone other than Stephen know? And does everyone know that the avg means virtually nothing with the exception of bragging right for a hot minute, as it is always about the guarantee money and how it is doled out.

Heck, who cares if he gets $35 million avg but $65 million guaranteed that is mostly paid out over the first 3 years similar to Lawrence. Then that is a good contract.

Flamma

Reaction score
The one thing not talked about in any of the Dak threads on his contract and Stephen's team friendly is how much is the number Stephen is talking about being team friendly. Is it $22 million a year avg or $27 million or $30 million, does anyone other than Stephen know? And does everyone know that the avg means virtually nothing with the exception of bragging right for a hot minute, as it is always about the guarantee money and how it is doled out.

Heck, who cares if he gets $35 million avg but $65 million guaranteed that is mostly paid out over the first 3 years similar to Lawrence. Then that is a good contract.

True. I think people are more concerned with the cap hit/dead cap. The higher the pay usually translates into a higher cap hit. Just because we can release Tank after 3 years doesn't mean his cap hit won't be 21M for 2020 and 2021. And for QBs it's a little different. They have longevity. That 35M a year will catch up to us if we want to keep him.

Gremell12

Reaction score
I bet prescott ends up taking something like 25 mil a year- which in 2 years won’t look too bad.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
So if you watched the DeMarcus Lawrence presser today..

we heard all the statements from Tank about wanting to do.a deal thar was fair and that he knew the team needed money for other talent to help him.

No doubt that will be the theme with all our coming signings.

Wonder who might depart from that mantra and demand top position money like Earl Thomas did?

Medicore college QB + team friendly = 2.5 mils / anno.

Well i would guess he would cry that he has kids to feed. But then who hasnt and earns alot less with more working hours.....

Number1

Reaction score

you left out Wilson

but you're right they plan to open this up, on a team with Zeke and Witten as dump offs ... I don't know how many 5 WR sets we'll see, but I expect 3 or 4 on most snaps, and lots of slants, and lots of play action deep - like a couple of shots per quarter

this gonna look more like the Greatest Show on Turf the than Triplets, same terminology, same timing system - different personalities, more man blocking, lots of slant, deeper routes, more roll outs, pay action and double moves. More run pass options.

this O suffered from a lack of aggression and imagination - and a disastrous situation on the OL - if they can keep Dak standing with this many play makers - they'll score a lot of points, but note - this JG's a play action / double move DEEP system, it requires time to throw.

BTW, for all the bad mouthing ... he's gotten major production out of Dak and Tony with relatively few mistakes (w/o #1picks invested) ... life as a HC is not easy in JJ world ... Scott was imposed on JG, adios ... JG and DP chose Kellen ... now I think JG finally has the staff and players he wants to run his system, I applaud his patience

for anyone who hasn't figured it out JG is gonna get far more from Dak than he ever dd with Tony

honestly, I really think Jason's built the NFL's next great offense, for the next 3 years ... this O will be very hard to out score.

lukin2006

Reaction score
you left out Wilson

but you're right they plan to open this up, on a team with Zeke and Witten as dump offs ... I don't know how many 5 WR sets we'll see, but I expect 3 or 4 on most snaps, and lots of slants, and lots of play action deep - like a couple of shots per quarter

this gonna look more like the Greatest Show on Turf the than Triplets, same terminology, same timing system - different personalities, more man blocking, lots of slant, deeper routes, more roll outs, pay action and double moves. More run pass options.

this O suffered from a lack of aggression and imagination - and a disastrous situation on the OL - if they can keep Dak standing with this many play makers - they'll score a lot of points, but note - this JG's a play action / double move DEEP system, it requires time to throw.

BTW, for all the bad mouthing ... he's gotten major production out of Dak and Tony with relatively few mistakes (w/o #1picks invested) ... life as a HC is not easy in JJ world ... Scott was imposed on JG, adios ... JG and DP chose Kellen ... now I think JG finally has the staff and players he wants to run his system, I applaud his patience

for anyone who hasn't figured it out JG is gonna get far more from Dak than he ever dd with Tony

honestly, I really think Jason's built the NFL's next great offense, for the next 3 years ... this O will be very hard to out score.

Well said. I especially agree with the lack of imagination. They started using Zeke on deep routes later in the year, I wonder if that was KM influence. I think this OI is going to be fun, and the D got better I think...a small upgrade at safety, Quinn hopefully will be more reliable than Gregory, and if Gregory is reinstated before the season we will be in great shape at the DE position. I really want a big bodied DT with our 2nd round pick, that is what's missing on this D.

Number1

Reaction score
Well said. I especially agree with the lack of imagination. They started using Zeke on deep routes later in the year, I wonder if that was KM influence. I think this OI is going to be fun, and the D got better I think...a small upgrade at safety, Quinn hopefully will be more reliable than Gregory, and if Gregory is reinstated before the season we will be in great shape at the DE position. I really want a big bodied DT with our 2nd round pick, that is what's missing on this D.

it may sound odd but I fully expect Taco to deliver at , actually to deliver big time at DE

Rod has been so weird it's hard for me to feel they'll really fork up at DT, they need a monster in the middle bad, so we can hope