Undisputed- Stephen Jones says Dak Prescott's deal will have to be team friendly

Flamma

Reaction score
That's exactly why I would not be in favor of that, because what I see a team doing in the case of a transition tag is throwing an offer out there with no real intention of acting on it. In a lot of those situations, the agents actually work with other teams to solicit offers because all they are really trying to do is drive the price up and you don't really get a real idea of what the actual market value of a player is. So if you are the Cowboys, you end up driving a steak in the ground and hoping that you are right and if you are not, then you could end up losing the player in the event a team is actually serious. It's hard to know what's what with the transition sometimes. With the other, you basically force Dak's agent to fish or cut bait and I think that's kinda where the Cowboys want to be. They want to lock Dak up for a few years and move on because he is the key. His contract has to be done or, we have to know that we are looking at another QB, before we can do all the other contracts coming up. QB is too big a part of the pie to not know where we will be in terms of cap availability. It's crazy how this works but I guess that's the business.

No argument from me on this. But I like risks. But you're right, it could screw us with other teams knowing full well we can't part with him without a viable alternative. But either way, I'd want to sign him over FTing him.

cern

Reaction score
the term "team friendly" has sort of a du jour definition.

lukin2006

Reaction score
If they want to be successful, I agree. Dak has some good qualities that I like...he is just not going to carry us as a Rogers, Manning or Brady could...maybe someday, just not right now. He needs playmakers around...and he has that. The O should be much better from the start this season. Getting fredbeard back, Cooper from the start and I really like the Cobb signing...he brings so much more to the receiver than Beas and of course I expect Gallup to be more involved and better...and he was pretty good as a rookie.

Number1

Reaction score
If they want to be successful, I agree. Dak has some good qualities that I like...he is just not going to carry us as a Rogers, Manning or Brady could...maybe someday, just not right now. He needs playmakers around...and he has that. The O should be much better from the start this season. Getting fredbeard back, Cooper from the start and I really like the Cobb signing...he brings so much more to the receiver than Beas and of course I expect Gallup to be more involved and better...and he was pretty good as a rookie.

they need another big WR for the deep game to be most effective.

actually, we should maybe start thinking of this different - I've never seen JGs system dominate without a big time X WR (Dez or TO)

I think Wilson is that guy, but wont see the most targets. Don't be surprised if we see

x - Wilson / Cooper / Gallup
y - Gallup / Wilson / Austin
z - Cooper / Cobb / Austin

With these guys moved around - hard to scheme against this when it's hard to figure out who's playing x / y / z ... it's not like you can take away Cooper and not leaves big holes for all that speed to exploit. They are quite serious about the no #1 WR thing

If the OL can deliver a clean pocket or if they roll Dak outside - they'll be very dangerous

note, Gallup and Wilson have to deliver in the red zone, that gets easier with Witten on the field.

Last edited:

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
Russell Wilson's last contract signed prior to training camp from 2015: Four-year contract extension worth $87.6 million; $31 million signing bonus and $61.53 million in guarantees. ($22mil per year by my math); IMO Dak is going to want more

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Russell Wilson's last contract signed prior to training camp from 2015: Four-year contract extension worth $87.6 million; $31 million signing bonus and $61.53 million in guarantees. ($22mil per year by my math); IMO Dak is going to want more

If that number were 32 instead of 22, he would still want more. That's just the way things work but it doesn't mean that we should necessarily be willing to do that. I mean, the team has a lot of leverage with Dak. I don't think they should just give in.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No argument from me on this. But I like risks. But you're right, it could screw us with other teams knowing full well we can't part with him without a viable alternative. But either way, I'd want to sign him over FTing him.

I agree, I would rather sign him but I think it has to be the right deal. I mean, he could play for 2 mil plus this season or, he could sign a deal for 20 mil now and bank an extra 18 this season. Lets say he signs a 3 year deal with the Cowboys at 20 per, instead of holding out for something like 25 per for 5 years, he would be banking 18 million more in his pocket then he would if he holds out and be up for a new contract 3 years sooner. I mean, if he plays well and wins a championship, how much more money can he command on a new deal? Seriously, I think he would be crazy to not do a deal like that because I don't honestly see him getting paid 25 but if he does, he's locked in for 5 to 6 years on that and the other way, he's out of a contract in just a couple of seasons and hitting the market again. If he does well and there is no reason to think he won't if the Cowboys can keep talent around him, he stands to bank big time. JMO

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree, I would rather sign him but I think it has to be the right deal. I mean, he could play for 2 mil plus this season or, he could sign a deal for 20 mil now and bank an extra 18 this season. Lets say he signs a 3 year deal with the Cowboys at 20 per, instead of holding out for something like 25 per for 5 years, he would be banking 18 million more in his pocket then he would if he holds out and be up for a new contract 3 years sooner. I mean, if he plays well and wins a championship, how much more money can he command on a new deal? Seriously, I think he would be crazy to not do a deal like that because I don't honestly see him getting paid 25 but if he does, he's locked in for 5 to 6 years on that and the other way, he's out of a contract in just a couple of seasons and hitting the market again. If he does well and there is no reason to think he won't if the Cowboys can keep talent around him, he stands to bank big time. JMO

Yeah I actually went back and read your post regarding this. It's a good idea on the surface if the QB has confidence. It's a lot of money short term. It's a lot more money if he proves himself. Great concept, but will he do it?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So if you watched the DeMarcus Lawrence presser today..

we heard all the statements from Tank about wanting to do.a deal thar was fair and that he knew the team needed money for other talent to help him.

No doubt that will be the theme with all our coming signings.

Wonder who might depart from that mantra and demand top position money like Earl Thomas did?

Dak and his agent will play hard ball, slackers!
He has waiter going enough (I can't blame him) and in Dak&s mind he ius just a notch below Brady and Bree's and Mahomes and Goff.
It won't be pretty.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dak and his agent will play hard ball, slackers!
He has waiter going enough (I can't blame him) and in Dak&s mind he ius just a notch below Brady and Bree's and Mahomes and Goff.
It won't be pretty.

Come on GTB, you know as well as I do that the girls are look prettier at closing time!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah I actually went back and read your post regarding this. It's a good idea on the surface if the QB has confidence. It's a lot of money short term. It's a lot more money if he proves himself. Great concept, but will he do it?

Well, to me it's the smart way to go. I mean, if you really look at it, this all comes down to what the league believes Dak is worth. I honestly do not believe that any Owner/GM in the NFL thinks more of Dak then Jerry does. The only way Dak gets paid more then what Jerry will pay him is if he is willing to go to an almost impossible situation where he isn't going to win. In that scenario, he signs a deal for 5 years, maybe 3 guaranteed and gets cut in year 2 if he can't seriously work miracles. What are the changes that after two starting Gigs in the NFL, he gets signed to be a starter with another team? I just don't see it. GMs and personnel guys are going to look at it and say, he had about as close to a championship quality team in Dallas as you are likely going to walk into and didn't get it done, but worse, didn't stay. He chased the money and fell flat at whatever other destination without a team around him. He is not the guy to spend 30 mil on. That's kinda how I see it working out if he were to leave. Again, this is contingent upon his being able to carry a team or not because he isn't going to get signed to be the guy on a ready made Super Bowl contender IMO for 25-30 a year.

On the other hand, if he stays and wins a championship in the next couple of years in Dallas, he has all of the leverage and will likely be able to command any deal he wants, anywhere. I don't know if he'll do it or not but he doesn't strike me as a stupid guy, by any means. In fact, he seems like just the opposite. I think he has to see this and understand what his opportunity is, going forward.

JMO

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"it better be the highest contract in the history of qb's in the NFL, or my panties will be all knotted up."

Number1

Reaction score
On the other hand, if he stays and wins a championship in the next couple of years in Dallas, he has all of the leverage and will likely be able to command any deal he wants, anywhere. I don't know if he'll do it or not but he doesn't strike me as a stupid guy, by any means. In fact, he seems like just the opposite. I think he has to see this and understand what his opportunity is, going forward.

JMO

what if they win it all this year without Dak under 2020 contract or option ?

don't under estimate what a decent QB with his head on straight can do as a 4th year starter on a talented team

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If Dak doesn't take a team friendly deal...trade him.

What exactly is the definition of "team friendly"?

There in lies the rub. That is a very subjective term and can mean many things to many people. To Dak and his agent, maybe team friendly is taking a lower annual salary so that other players can be signed, but demanding a larger percentage to be guaranteed. For example, he takes $22 million a year instead of $30 million a year, but he wants 70% of the overall contract guaranteed instead of 50%.

That's a fair trade off. The key word is "fair"...…..a contract has to be fair to both the player and the team, just like Dlaw's.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

The franchise tag for QBs this season is $25 million...………...as we saw with DLaw, the franchise tag is the floor for negotiations, not the ceiling.

Dak's contract will end up averaging between $25-$28 million based on current market dynamics. That is in the range of Stafford, Grappolo, and Cousins. Hard to argue Dak should not be paid accordingly, especially when Dak has a playoff win under his belt and Stafford, Grappolo, and Cousins dont have a single playoff win combined.

The only way, and I say ONLY way I would take less than $25 if I am Dak's agent is if the deal is short term, say three years, and the Cowboys agree not to use the franchise tag at the end of the three year deal.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I'm not attacking the OP at all (those guys are well paid actors playing a scene) but why do we need to start a thread every time they say something, just based on these two clowns arguing?

Countless others disagreed on Dlaw and he got done where we and everyone expected.

Well it's not like you didnt see the title.

There are about 5 or 6 threads on this forum I dont like atm.....I just decided not to click on them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
what if they win it all this year without Dak under 2020 contract or option ?

don't under estimate what a decent QB with his head on straight can do as a 4th year starter on a talented team

If he does, then the team probably ups he value they place on him but it doesn't change the dynamics of the cap. Hey, if he breaks yardage, TDs, completion percentage records on the way, then that's one thing but if he does it within the framework of the team, then the position of a lot of talent evaluations are accurate. He needs a team around him and with that, he can be successful. At worst, the value of Dak goes up in the eyes of other teams and maybe then, a higher salary and maybe two 1st round picks becomes possible with another team. I mean, there is no downside to Dak stepping up here, IMO. But again, it's a hard cap. There is no forgiveness for exceeding the number. There is only penalty.