Unsung Player that you miss

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The OP selects "Almost Anthony" Spencer!?!... lol.

When he wasn't sitting at home living off the frachise designation for two seasons,
Spencer led the league in "almost" actually making plays. Missed sacks. Failure to
set the edge. Nearly making up for poor technique.

I don't see him as unsung. More of a bust due to injury. I know he had a short stretch
before the microfracture surgery. I remember one of the big draft pundits picked Spencer
to win defensive ROY.

But I do appreciate the thread idea so I'll be sure to go back and hit "like".

I guess Bill Bates is too easy to pick. My selection is Charlie Waters.
Tip of the cap to the poster who mentioned Cliff Harris. I'm not sure he
fits the criteria. I mean, the guy should be in the HOF. The mention of Harris
reminded me of Waters.

By the way, Harris and Waters published a book together a while ago. A long while ago. (lol)
Any Cowboys fan over 45 should probably have it in their library.

Spencer only missed 6 of his first 96 possible regular season games.

They struggled to replace him because he played the run, played in coverage and rushed the passer and was good at all 3. He dropped in coverage about 3x more than Ware and as the Strong Side OLB he had more run contain responsibilities than the Weak Side OLB.

The Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan defenses put a big burden on the Strong Side OLB with the extra run and coverage duties. Those defenses were designed to free up the Weak Side OLB as a pass rusher.

Players like Victor Butler were functional when they played snaps at WOLB but were big liabilities at SOLB.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Bill Bates, the Special Teams monster.

More heart than any player I think I've ever seen.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Chad Henning and Jimmie Jones. Unsung heroes on the inside during our Super Bowl run. Made plays for us and allowed Haley to cook. Loved these guys as someone who played 1-Tech in middle school and high school.

John813

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, and trying not to repeat as much:

Jason Ferguson. Big ole nose plugger.
Jay Ratliff, pre bat**** crazy incident.
Marion Barber. Slow but man he had some exciting 2-5 yard runs lol.
Brock Marion. One of the reasons I started watching the Dolphins(local team)
Bradie James. 2-down LB, but a damn good one.
Doug Free. Liked that we actually developed a 4th round pick into a long term starter. Struggled at times, but was willing to switch positions and take paycuts to stay with the team.

Falco78

Reaction score
I have to say Roy Williams 31, the guy was a beast that had to have the NFL change its rules for.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I have to say Roy Williams 31, the guy was a beast that had to have the NFL change its rules for.
he was already on the way down before that horsecollar rule. Kelly Rowland took his cajones