Upcoming cap decisions

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
2.5 is nothing. For continuity sake they keep him around. How much is Looney making?
Again, $2.5M is the most expensive backup on the team. He's been here half a season. Dont think continuity is a very big factor here.

2 years at $1.05M a yr

After his preseason performance dont think we'll be wanting to resign him.

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
I like the idea of a real fullback too.

Teams have gone away from FBs because in a passing league, the advantage you lose by tipping your hand towards a run play is less than what you get from a lead blocker taking a defender out of the play. But with our OC, "tipping our hand" is his middle name. If we are going to use Noah freaking Brown as a lead blocker and use him just as predictably as a FB, let's go get a real FB in there. I liked having Keith Smith.

I was thinking of a guy like Tony Fiammetta who we had in 2011. He would crush people on blocks and played ST as well. Guys like that always drop in the draft, we may be able to get someone like that in the 6th or 7th round if we want to burn the draft choice on that position.

And I think run/pass sets are more predictable than people think anyway, that is why Tony Romo can call plays out from the booth and Sean Lee can basically do it on the field in real time. I think most NFL DCs can tell you the play from the position set 80% of the time anyway.

Kaiser

Reaction score
$2.5M is the most expensive backup on our roster

WHY DO YOU LOVE CHAZ GREEN AND BYRON BELL?????

Overpaying for a swing tackle was set in stone by halftime of last year's Atlanta game when Green had already given up 15 or 16 sacks.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I was thinking of a guy like Tony Fiammetta who we had in 2011. He would crush people on blocks and played ST as well. Guys like that always drop in the draft, we may be able to get someone like that in the 6th or 7th round if we want to burn the draft choice on that position.

And I think run/pass sets are more predictable than people think anyway, that is why Tony Romo can call plays out from the booth and Sean Lee can basically do it on the field in real time. I think most NFL DCs can tell you the play from the position set 80% of the time anyway.

Man, I miss Fiametta! That guy was a bulldozer.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
WHY DO YOU LOVE CHAZ GREEN AND BYRON BELL?????

Overpaying for a swing tackle was set in stone by halftime of last year's Atlanta game when Green had already given up 15 or 16 sacks.

If we are going to overpay for tackle depth, I hope he plays better than what Flemming has thus far.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Rod Smith is a key special teams player. I'd like to have a better backup runner but he's a keeper at the right price.

I also would like to bring back Tavon but at a MUCH lower price. I don't know if he'll have much of a market but he is still extremely talented.

Smith, Austin and Irving all would be keepers for me if the cost is a bargain. Austin and Irving might get more than we're willing to offer, though, in free agency. Austin and Beasley might turn into an either/or situation where we sign whichever one is cheaper.

Lawrence is the only absolute on our list of FAs.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I would sign Dlaw 4 years 80 million
Cooper 5 years 70 million
Dak 4 years 85 million
Earl Thomas 2 years 18 million

Let Beasley , Irving walk unless they sign bargain deals.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Edelman signed for 2 years, $11 million. I'd do that for Beasley. Randall Cobb signed for 4 years, $40 million, and Jarvis Landry signed for 5 years, $75 million: Beasley may think he's worth those numbers, and I guess it's possible someone will pay him close to that. Pass.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Will David Irving even accrue a season this year ? He's only been active for like 2 games.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If we are going to overpay for tackle depth, I hope he plays better than what Flemming has thus far.

Same here but I don't think Flemming was bad on Thursday. We gave up the same number of sacks as the first Commanders game but had twice the rushing yards. Amari is a big part of that of course, but Flemming wasn't a weak link. And last year Swing Tackle was one of the biggest problems we had.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Edelman signed for 2 years, $11 million. I'd do that for Beasley. Randall Cobb signed for 4 years, $40 million, and Jarvis Landry signed for 5 years, $75 million: Beasley may think he's worth those numbers, and I guess it's possible someone will pay him close to that. Pass.
IMO- a. Beasley isn’t as good as Edelman
b. Edelman has a whopping 150 more catches than Beasley having played only 12 more games than Beas
c. Beasley’s also not as good as Cobb.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO- a. Beasley isn’t as good as Edelman
b. Edelman has a whopping 150 more catches than Beasley having played only 12 more games than Beas
c. Beasley’s also not as good as Cobb.
I think you're right about Beasley vs. Edelman, but I also think Edelman is underpaid for what he provides. Cobb and Landry are massively overpaid.

cern

Reaction score
Lenoir and Noah Brown are being given a chance to show their stuff. Seems Mcclay/Stephen are already making plans to move on from tavon and Beasley. It pays to be parsimonious in today's NFL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jamize Olawale = wins baby! The more he plays, the more this team wins!

Check out the correlation to his snap counts:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OlawJa00/fantasy/2018

This team needs to know who they are, and what they do. Hammer people with the run game baby!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
At the end of this season, hopefully after a deep playoff run, the Cowboys are going to have to make some tough decisions regarding cap management. In today’s NFL, because of the cap limits, you can’t hang on to everyone you want to.

Here is a list of players the Cowboys will have to make decisions on:

OFFENSE- 2019 Free agents
-Cole Beasley- he will be 30 next year and most receivers over 30 begin to decline. Tough decision.
-Tavon Austin- he’s helped this team but missed a ton of games to injury. I can’t see paying him.
-Geoff Swaim- he’s been pretty good, but is he worth a big pay raise? No, IMO.
-Rod Smith- not worth keeping for a pay raise IMO.
-Cameron Fleming- good to have a decent backup at LT but I’m not sure we can afford more there. If his price is right, perhaps.

DEFENSE- 2019 FA’s
-DeMarcus Lawrence- he’s deserving of a long term deal. He’s still only 26!
-David Irving- I know he’s popular with some here but not with me. Time to cut bait. Between the suspensions, injuries and girlfriend drama, we usually don’t get more than 6 games anyway. Adios.
-Dante Jones- nothing special. We could draft someone cheaper and with more upside.
-Damien Wilson- I like Wilson. He’s been a steady, dependable player, but will probably command too much in FA.

SPECIAL TEAMS FAs
-LP Ladeoceur- sign him- he’s money.

OTHERS
There are a few players that will be in the last year of their rookie deal in 2019 the team will probably review.
Here are the guys on that list:

-Byron Jones- has one more year on rookie deal. The team may want to start negotiating. This guy has become a top 3 corner in this league. Worth some big money IMO.
-Dak Prescott- big decision looming. Resign or wait. I say it’s a no brainer to keep Dak on his rookie deal one more year. If he shows big improvement they can still give a big contract after 2019.
-Brett Maher- technically he’s signed through 2019, so this isn’t a contract decision. I would definitely still bring in some serious competition.

KEEPERS (I would keep these guys for sure)
1. DeMarcus Lawrence- sign him!
2. LP Ladoceur- why not? He’s a dependable deep snapper and cheap.

MAYBE (if the price is right)
1. Cole Beasley- I lean towards letting him go. Only keep if price is right. That’s doubtful but maybe Cole gives a hometown discount. We are going to have to sign Amari Cooper after next year. Probably can’t keep both.
2. Cam Fleming- again, only if the price is right.

Everyone else, I would say goodbye. I have a lot more confidence in our draft people like Will McClay. Fans tend to want to hang on to guys like Irving too long. Irving’s not worth even the $2-3 mil he gets compared to the headaches he brings.

Your thoughts? Can’t keep everyone!

I think we keep or extendthe following:

Lawrence
Ladoceur
Amari Cooper gets an extension
Dak (reading between the lines of the FO)
Byron Jones

Possibly sign/extend:

Beasley (though doubtful)
Fleming (actually, I reckon he's a likely keep)
Swaim (Not a lot of other TE options)
Rod Smith - we haven't got much besides Zeke at RB

Gone:

Irving (fed up with him)
Wilson (as you said, probably will command a bit too much money for us)
Dante Jones - I don't even know who this bloke is
Tavon Austin - a bit too injury prone for my liking, and I reckon the FO will agree.
Lee - I like the chap, but he's probably going to retire

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For the first time in a long time we're not in cap hell - I foresee them signing Earl Thomas (finally), so factor that in!!

I could see that, but I also think his leg injury might do him in. Though, I do agree that we should bring in a safety. LB is a tad easier to draft imo, and we don't have a first round pick (but, bloody hell was it worth it with Cooper so far!).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I would cut hurns and give his savings to beasely. Lee saves 7 mil if he is cut so he needs to redo his cap number to stay .

That would be an excellent move, and a good bit of cap manipulation to boot, dear boy. Well done!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the end of this season, hopefully after a deep playoff run, the Cowboys are going to have to make some tough decisions regarding cap management. In today’s NFL, because of the cap limits, you can’t hang on to everyone you want to.

Here is a list of players the Cowboys will have to make decisions on:

OFFENSE- 2019 Free agents
-Cole Beasley- he will be 30 next year and most receivers over 30 begin to decline. Tough decision.
-Tavon Austin- he’s helped this team but missed a ton of games to injury. I can’t see paying him.
-Geoff Swaim- he’s been pretty good, but is he worth a big pay raise? No, IMO.
-Rod Smith- not worth keeping for a pay raise IMO.
-Cameron Fleming- good to have a decent backup at LT but I’m not sure we can afford more there. If his price is right, perhaps.

DEFENSE- 2019 FA’s
-DeMarcus Lawrence- he’s deserving of a long term deal. He’s still only 26!
-David Irving- I know he’s popular with some here but not with me. Time to cut bait. Between the suspensions, injuries and girlfriend drama, we usually don’t get more than 6 games anyway. Adios.
-Dante Jones- nothing special. We could draft someone cheaper and with more upside.
-Damien Wilson- I like Wilson. He’s been a steady, dependable player, but will probably command too much in FA.

SPECIAL TEAMS FAs
-LP Ladeoceur- sign him- he’s money.

OTHERS
There are a few players that will be in the last year of their rookie deal in 2019 the team will probably review.
Here are the guys on that list:

-Byron Jones- has one more year on rookie deal. The team may want to start negotiating. This guy has become a top 3 corner in this league. Worth some big money IMO.
-Dak Prescott- big decision looming. Resign or wait. I say it’s a no brainer to keep Dak on his rookie deal one more year. If he shows big improvement they can still give a big contract after 2019.
-Brett Maher- technically he’s signed through 2019, so this isn’t a contract decision. I would definitely still bring in some serious competition.

KEEPERS (I would keep these guys for sure)
1. DeMarcus Lawrence- sign him!
2. LP Ladoceur- why not? He’s a dependable deep snapper and cheap.

MAYBE (if the price is right)
1. Cole Beasley- I lean towards letting him go. Only keep if price is right. That’s doubtful but maybe Cole gives a hometown discount. We are going to have to sign Amari Cooper after next year. Probably can’t keep both.
2. Cam Fleming- again, only if the price is right.

Everyone else, I would say goodbye. I have a lot more confidence in our draft people like Will McClay. Fans tend to want to hang on to guys like Irving too long. Irving’s not worth even the $2-3 mil he gets compared to the headaches he brings.

Your thoughts? Can’t keep everyone!

Who is Dante Jones?

Datone Jones?

DeMarcus Lawrence, DE:
Not as easy of a decision as it seems. He needs shoulder surgery and he has had 2 back surgeries.

They might Franchise him again. Most players don't like the Tag, but it could happen.

Cole Beasley, WR:
They tried to re-sign him this year but the 2 sides were not close on the numbers.

Tavon Austin, WR:
If Beasley is not re-signed, then it's likely that Austin does get re-signed.

Cameron Fleming, OT:
They don't have much in terms of developmental OTs on the roster.

Side Note: Will Connor Williams move to RT with La'el to OG?

These players all likely receive an offer but the team won't go past some budgetary number they have established.
David Irving, DT
Wilson, LB
Datone Jones
Jamize Olawale, FB
Marcus Martin OL (On IR)

Cuts that free up cap space:
TWill
Hurns
Lee: His salary for 2019 is 7M.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem there with cutting Hurns is he will still garner a $3.7 million cap hit if he’s cut post June 1. So it doesn’t save much to cut him.
I'm not sure if this is acurate but this site says 5 mil savings with less than 2 mil cap hit .I was basing off that info .not sure if it is wrong

https://overthecap.com/player/allen-hurns/3408/

It's the amount of real dollars saved that matters, not the cap hit.

Hurns has a 4M salary and 1M in roster bonuses for 2019. They save the 5M by cutting him. The savings may get spread out over 2019 and 2020, but it's 5M total savings.

The Cowboys don't manage based on the current year cap hit number. They manage based on the total savings over all years.

Hurns has not done much but 5M is a relatively low number for a veteran WR in 2018/2019. They might wait until camp to decide on him.