Upcoming cap decisions

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the end of this season, hopefully after a deep playoff run, the Cowboys are going to have to make some tough decisions regarding cap management. In today’s NFL, because of the cap limits, you can’t hang on to everyone you want to.

Here is a list of players the Cowboys will have to make decisions on:

OFFENSE- 2019 Free agents
-Cole Beasley- he will be 30 next year and most receivers over 30 begin to decline. Tough decision.
-Tavon Austin- he’s helped this team but missed a ton of games to injury. I can’t see paying him.
-Geoff Swaim- he’s been pretty good, but is he worth a big pay raise? No, IMO.
-Rod Smith- not worth keeping for a pay raise IMO.
-Cameron Fleming- good to have a decent backup at LT but I’m not sure we can afford more there. If his price is right, perhaps.

DEFENSE- 2019 FA’s
-DeMarcus Lawrence- he’s deserving of a long term deal. He’s still only 26!
-David Irving- I know he’s popular with some here but not with me. Time to cut bait. Between the suspensions, injuries and girlfriend drama, we usually don’t get more than 6 games anyway. Adios.
-Dante Jones- nothing special. We could draft someone cheaper and with more upside.
-Damien Wilson- I like Wilson. He’s been a steady, dependable player, but will probably command too much in FA.

SPECIAL TEAMS FAs
-LP Ladeoceur- sign him- he’s money.

OTHERS
There are a few players that will be in the last year of their rookie deal in 2019 the team will probably review.
Here are the guys on that list:

-Byron Jones- has one more year on rookie deal. The team may want to start negotiating. This guy has become a top 3 corner in this league. Worth some big money IMO.
-Dak Prescott- big decision looming. Resign or wait. I say it’s a no brainer to keep Dak on his rookie deal one more year. If he shows big improvement they can still give a big contract after 2019.
-Brett Maher- technically he’s signed through 2019, so this isn’t a contract decision. I would definitely still bring in some serious competition.

KEEPERS (I would keep these guys for sure)
1. DeMarcus Lawrence- sign him!
2. LP Ladoceur- why not? He’s a dependable deep snapper and cheap.

MAYBE (if the price is right)
1. Cole Beasley- I lean towards letting him go. Only keep if price is right. That’s doubtful but maybe Cole gives a hometown discount. We are going to have to sign Amari Cooper after next year. Probably can’t keep both.
2. Cam Fleming- again, only if the price is right.

Everyone else, I would say goodbye. I have a lot more confidence in our draft people like Will McClay. Fans tend to want to hang on to guys like Irving too long. Irving’s not worth even the $2-3 mil he gets compared to the headaches he brings.

Your thoughts? Can’t keep everyone!

First of all, another nice conversation thread. Great job!
:thumbup:

Secondly, I would also factor in some contracts that need to be restructured or cut completely as I think there are several of those to add to the mix.

Sean Lee
Tyrone Crawford
Allen Hurns
Terrance Williams

Those contracts will play a part in future decisions as well.

DanA

Reaction score
If it's me:

Big contracts:
D.Prescott - 6-year deal
A.Cooper - 5-year deal
D.Lawrence - 5-year deal
B.Jones - 5-year deal

Others:
J.Swaim - 3-year deal (Hanna type money)
R.Smith - 2-year deal (A.Morris type money)
T.Austin - 2-year deal (Low base, high bonus)
LP - 1-year deal (year to year deal)
Irving - 1 year (RoMac type deal)
Fleming - 1 yr 2.5m (Same as the last contract)

Cut:
Lee, TW, Hurns, Beasley, Olawale,

Sign:
Earl Thomas
A more physical fullback

Draft:
WR, LB focus

Proof

Reaction score
Rod Smith is a key special teams player. I'd like to have a better backup runner but he's a keeper at the right price.

I also would like to bring back Tavon but at a MUCH lower price. I don't know if he'll have much of a market but he is still extremely talented.

aren't we paying him 1 million dollars? how much lower can you get lol

DanA

Reaction score
Don't understand why so many are willing to pay Beasley. I don't think he's worth half what he'll likely command. We could get a quality slot WR in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft and pay for a DT that IMO gives us heaps more impact.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
aren't we paying him 1 million dollars? how much lower can you get lol

I forgot that the Rams restructured his deal before trading him. I'm thinking of his overall contract rather than we are paying in his final year.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure LP is done at the end of this season; it took him a while to decide to return for this season, which was also only a one year deal. The retirement signals are all there.

He is warning the franchise. We should be sensibly looking at getting some competition in camp next year. Don't be foolish about this.

Scotman

Reaction score
There is absolutely no way I let Fleming walk. Our o-line has been...barely average IMO. He's filled in pretty well. Our ENTIRE offense is predicated on having a dominate line. If you let Fleming walk, I hope to goodness we replace him with an all-world OC.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
I sure hope we don't break the bank for E. Thomas coming off of a gruesome injury plus he is getting old. Hopefully put some of that money to our players to keep them. Fleming, Beas...maybe, Swaim, Austin...maybe.

tm1119

Reaction score
Can’t discuss salary cap without acknowledging that the QB position is going to take a big bump in pay next year.

Also wouldn’t shock me if Byron wants a new deal as well. Hes playing like a near elite level CB and will be on a 1 year $6M deal.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can’t discuss salary cap without acknowledging that the QB position is going to take a big bump in pay next year.

Also wouldn’t shock me if Byron wants a new deal as well. Hes playing like a near elite level CB and will be on a 1 year $6M deal.
Dak has one more full year on his rookie deal. I like Dak but why pay him early? Seems more responsible to start negotiating an extension next year but don’t pay him until the 2020 season starts.

Dak’s second deal is going to cost a ton of cap space and several of the guys many have been saying we want to keep become much more difficult to pay. The salary cap makes it extremely difficult to hang onto everyone you want. Especially once you commit big money to a QB.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Don't understand why so many are willing to pay Beasley. I don't think he's worth half what he'll likely command. We could get a quality slot WR in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft and pay for a DT that IMO gives us heaps more impact.
I would rather keep Beas and draft a DT in rounds 1-3

That is why we traded for ACooper

Beasley or TAustin will be cheap(3-5m) but I prefer Beasley

tm1119

Reaction score
Dak has one more full year on his rookie deal. I like Dak but why pay him early? Seems more responsible to start negotiating an extension next year but don’t pay him until the 2020 season starts.

Dak’s second deal is going to cost a ton of cap space and several of the guys many have been saying we want to keep become much more difficult to pay. The salary cap makes it extremely difficult to hang onto everyone you want. Especially once you commit big money to a QB.

Dak isn’t going to be the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys on a 1 year $850K contract. I can all but guarantee you of that.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
At the end of this season, hopefully after a deep playoff run, the Cowboys are going to have to make some tough decisions regarding cap management. In today’s NFL, because of the cap limits, you can’t hang on to everyone you want to.

Here is a list of players the Cowboys will have to make decisions on:

OFFENSE- 2019 Free agents
-Cole Beasley- he will be 30 next year and most receivers over 30 begin to decline. Tough decision.
-Tavon Austin- he’s helped this team but missed a ton of games to injury. I can’t see paying him.
-Geoff Swaim- he’s been pretty good, but is he worth a big pay raise? No, IMO.
-Rod Smith- not worth keeping for a pay raise IMO.
-Cameron Fleming- good to have a decent backup at LT but I’m not sure we can afford more there. If his price is right, perhaps.

DEFENSE- 2019 FA’s
-DeMarcus Lawrence- he’s deserving of a long term deal. He’s still only 26!
-David Irving- I know he’s popular with some here but not with me. Time to cut bait. Between the suspensions, injuries and girlfriend drama, we usually don’t get more than 6 games anyway. Adios.
-Dante Jones- nothing special. We could draft someone cheaper and with more upside.
-Damien Wilson- I like Wilson. He’s been a steady, dependable player, but will probably command too much in FA.

SPECIAL TEAMS FAs
-LP Ladeoceur- sign him- he’s money.

OTHERS
There are a few players that will be in the last year of their rookie deal in 2019 the team will probably review.
Here are the guys on that list:

-Byron Jones- has one more year on rookie deal. The team may want to start negotiating. This guy has become a top 3 corner in this league. Worth some big money IMO.
-Dak Prescott- big decision looming. Resign or wait. I say it’s a no brainer to keep Dak on his rookie deal one more year. If he shows big improvement they can still give a big contract after 2019.
-Brett Maher- technically he’s signed through 2019, so this isn’t a contract decision. I would definitely still bring in some serious competition.

KEEPERS (I would keep these guys for sure)
1. DeMarcus Lawrence- sign him!
2. LP Ladoceur- why not? He’s a dependable deep snapper and cheap.

MAYBE (if the price is right)
1. Cole Beasley- I lean towards letting him go. Only keep if price is right. That’s doubtful but maybe Cole gives a hometown discount. We are going to have to sign Amari Cooper after next year. Probably can’t keep both.
2. Cam Fleming- again, only if the price is right.

Everyone else, I would say goodbye. I have a lot more confidence in our draft people like Will McClay. Fans tend to want to hang on to guys like Irving too long. Irving’s not worth even the $2-3 mil he gets compared to the headaches he brings.

Your thoughts? Can’t keep everyone!
Good post.

J12B

Reaction score
I think your numbers on Lawrence are far too low. Hi s agent is the same guy that got Olivier Vernon $85 million over 5 years with the Giants. Neither party is going backwards after that deal.

Vernon got that much? Sheesh....

Yeah, you're right then. DLawrence will be commanding more

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, Cedric Wilson was garnering more praise than Gallup at camp? He’ll be back next year, as well as a healthy Austin. Bease is going to want too much $$$

I don’t see the need in drafting another receiver, unless a golden egg falls in our lap.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak isn’t going to be the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys on a 1 year $850K contract. I can all but guarantee you of that.
Why not? He has one more year on his contract. Would he just hold out?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would rather keep Beas and draft a DT in rounds 1-3

That is why we traded for ACooper

Beasley or TAustin will be cheap(3-5m) but I prefer Beasley
We don’t have a first round pick next year because of the Cooper trade (or just consider Coop our 2019 first rounder) Why would Beasley be cheap? He’s been making $4.25 mil this year (including bonus) Is he going to sign a cheaper deal than that?