Upcoming cap decisions

NumOneQB

Reaction score
The Squirrell will probably want a bigger contract than Dallas wants to give him. I’d love to keep him but I think you can draft a good slot receiver. So I think he walks. Fleming probably stays. Of course DLaw will be interesting. Will they tag him again?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
At the end of this season, hopefully after a deep playoff run, the Cowboys are going to have to make some tough decisions regarding cap management. In today’s NFL, because of the cap limits, you can’t hang on to everyone you want to.

Here is a list of players the Cowboys will have to make decisions on:

OFFENSE- 2019 Free agents
-Cole Beasley- he will be 30 next year and most receivers over 30 begin to decline. Tough decision.
-Tavon Austin- he’s helped this team but missed a ton of games to injury. I can’t see paying him.
-Geoff Swaim- he’s been pretty good, but is he worth a big pay raise? No, IMO.
-Rod Smith- not worth keeping for a pay raise IMO.
-Cameron Fleming- good to have a decent backup at LT but I’m not sure we can afford more there. If his price is right, perhaps.

DEFENSE- 2019 FA’s
-DeMarcus Lawrence- he’s deserving of a long term deal. He’s still only 26!
-David Irving- I know he’s popular with some here but not with me. Time to cut bait. Between the suspensions, injuries and girlfriend drama, we usually don’t get more than 6 games anyway. Adios.
-Dante Jones- nothing special. We could draft someone cheaper and with more upside.
-Damien Wilson- I like Wilson. He’s been a steady, dependable player, but will probably command too much in FA.

SPECIAL TEAMS FAs
-LP Ladeoceur- sign him- he’s money.

OTHERS
There are a few players that will be in the last year of their rookie deal in 2019 the team will probably review.
Here are the guys on that list:

-Byron Jones- has one more year on rookie deal. The team may want to start negotiating. This guy has become a top 3 corner in this league. Worth some big money IMO.
-Dak Prescott- big decision looming. Resign or wait. I say it’s a no brainer to keep Dak on his rookie deal one more year. If he shows big improvement they can still give a big contract after 2019.
-Brett Maher- technically he’s signed through 2019, so this isn’t a contract decision. I would definitely still bring in some serious competition.

KEEPERS (I would keep these guys for sure)
1. DeMarcus Lawrence- sign him!
2. LP Ladoceur- why not? He’s a dependable deep snapper and cheap.

MAYBE (if the price is right)
1. Cole Beasley- I lean towards letting him go. Only keep if price is right. That’s doubtful but maybe Cole gives a hometown discount. We are going to have to sign Amari Cooper after next year. Probably can’t keep both.
2. Cam Fleming- again, only if the price is right.

Everyone else, I would say goodbye. I have a lot more confidence in our draft people like Will McClay. Fans tend to want to hang on to guys like Irving too long. Irving’s not worth even the $2-3 mil he gets compared to the headaches he brings.

Your thoughts? Can’t keep everyone!
DLaw..............5/90m
Dak..............6/108m
ACooper...........5/57-75m with incentives
D Irving..........Vet min with incentives to 5m......probably PASS
CFleming........2/6m......won't get for that price
Swaim..............PASS
Beasley...........3/12m
TAustin...........PASS......unless Beasley leaves 2/6m
DWilson..........3/5m
RSmith..........3/5m
LP...............2/2.2m

Cut TWill, Hurns, Redmond

Sign EThomas..............4/32m

Re-do SLee..........2m with incentives to 5m

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We don’t have a first round pick next year because of the Cooper trade (or just consider Coop our 2019 first rounder) Why would Beasley be cheap? He’s been making $4.25 mil this year (including bonus) Is he going to sign a cheaper deal than that?
Because he is expendable.... the 4th-5th option is not getting big bucks

We can sign TAustin if Beasley bucks or a dozen guys coming out of college

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DLaw..............5/90m
Dak..............6/108m
ACooper...........5/57-75m with incentives
D Irving..........Vet min with incentives to 5m......probably PASS
CFleming........2/6m......won't get for that price
Swaim..............PASS
Beasley...........3/12m
DWilson..........3/5m
RSmith..........3/5m
LP...............2/2.2m

Cut TWill, Hurns, Redmond

Sign EThomas..............4/32m

Re-do SLee..........2m with incentives to 5m
Nice work brother. I could be dead wrong, But I can’t see all those guys staying for the money you have listed. I would say goodbye to Beasley, Wilson, Tavon A, David Irving, Swaim, and maybe Rod Smith. And no way should we sign ET. He’s 30 next year and an injury waiting to happen.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Nice work brother. I could be dead wrong, But I can’t see all those guys staying for the money you have listed. I would say goodbye to Beasley, Wilson, Tavon A, David Irving, Swaim, and maybe Rod Smith. And no way should we sign ET. He’s 30 next year and an injury waiting to happen.
I don't do predictions..... more of my limits

If they get more than that like Hitchens we have to let them go

Only DLaw and Dak are must haves......ACooper is right behind them

tm1119

Reaction score
Why not? He has one more year on his contract. Would he just hold out?

Yes, because it would be gross negligence by his agent to let him go into the season without long term financial security. The NFLPA would probably be outraged if Dak played on a 1 year deal for less than a million. It’s just not going to happen.
And I’m not saying a mega $100+M deal. I could easily see a Blake Bortles like contract that pays him for 2 years and see where we are from there.

Kaiser

Reaction score
DWilson..........3/5m

Great post, I would agree with all of those but nitpick these two. I think Damien Wilson gets a good offer elsewhere so Dallas pockets a 5th round comp pick and plugs a guy like Chris Covington or Joe Thomas into those reps.

I do think they bring back Tavon Austin also, he adds something to an offense that really needs it when healthy, Linehan drools over the specialty plays he can design for a guy like that and there won't be a big market for him after he missed so many games this season.

fansince68

Reaction score
We can keep everybody if we want to, we have a ton of cap space but aren't going to spend it unless we get value back in return.

DLaw should be resigned, it will cost a fortune but he is an elite player who plays with the effort of a rookie trying to make to make the team. That is huge.

I think Rod Smith and Cameron Flemming come back at slight overpayments because they are critical backups at critical positions.

I think Damien Wilson gets a big contract somewhere else, we get the comp pick and give his reps to LVE and Chris Covington.

Beasley tests the market and doesn't get huge offers, so he comes back.

Swaim leaves.

David Irving is given a similar contract as a make-good one year deal unless he mentally collapses between now and the offseason.

Tavon Austin gets a similar one year make good deal.
.....I think Bease will be gone. He wants his cut and will probably be way more than he's worth. He thinks, he's a big time play maker. Whiffing that endzone TD in a trench game Vs Wash, does not add to his stock. That was 4 pts lost on the play.

I agree with you on the rest of FA's. Irving seems like a box of problems. Rod Smith I bet he stays for a descent price. He's not a breakaway back, but does a serviceable job. As for Dak, I would keep him. Get him a better QB coach, he's got the mentality and skills to get better. Got a winners attitude. That's what Romo didnt have, at least to me.

Forgot Lee, boy, that's a tough one. If Dallas gets far in post season, I bet Lee stays. Takes less cash and plays off and on with Vander. Lee probably knows, because his age and persistent injuries. He's become a liability.

Rod Smith brings nothing when Zeke sits. We really need a more dynamic 1,2 punch. Think Saints and Bears. Lets draft a speedy gadget back to supplement this "Dak friendly" dink and dunk offense. We need Yak players for this Dak offense because of Daks inability to anticipate on throws downfield.

Irving gets one more chance with an incentive laden contract with a team option 2nd year.

Looney becomes my left guard if Fredbeard comes back. Williams gets groomed to take Tyrons spot soon. I think its too late to move Collins so i draft a RT to push him.

Beasly will cost too much but ole softy Jerry will sign him anyway.

If we make the playoffs, we wont sign or draft a qb, and Garrett gets an extension (sad face). Dak desperately needs competition but this fo doesn't believe in that.

Praxit

Reaction score
Rod Smith brings nothing when Zeke sits. We really need a more dynamic 1,2 punch. Think Saints and Bears. Lets draft a speedy gadget back to supplement this "Dak friendly" dink and dunk offense. We need Yak players for this Dak offense because of Daks inability to anticipate on throws downfield.

Irving gets one more chance with an incentive laden contract with a team option 2nd year.

Looney becomes my left guard if Fredbeard comes back. Williams gets groomed to take Tyrons spot soon. I think its too late to move Collins so i draft a RT to push him.

Beasly will cost too much but ole softy Jerry will sign him anyway.

If we make the playoffs, we wont sign or draft a qb, and Garrett gets an extension (sad face). Dak desperately needs competition but this fo doesn't believe in that.
..If Bease does ask to much, I believe they will let him go. They have to pay Dak, Dlaw & Cooper..lol. Thats lots of $$$$$$ right there.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Rod Smith brings nothing when Zeke sits. We really need a more dynamic 1,2 punch. Think Saints and Bears. Lets draft a speedy gadget back to supplement this "Dak friendly" dink and dunk offense. .

It was only dink and dunk because our WRs couldn't get seperation in the first half of the season, its a different offense with Amari onboard.

And you can do both with the RBs, you can have a quality back in Rod Smith plus add a quick specialty back in FA or the draft. This year we carried 7 WRs and 3 RBs, next year its probably 6 WRs and 4 RBs.

I want to upgrade the FB position also, I'd like to get a big bruiser that can wipe out LBs in the hole but still play on Special Teams.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I want to upgrade the FB position also, I'd like to get a big bruiser that can wipe out LBs in the hole but still play on Special Teams.
I'd like to get better and younger here as well, but most of the options headed for free agency are in the same age range as Jamize Olawale.

Ola will probably get re-signed to a veteran minimum deal and maybe we get lucky with an undrafted free agent who might need a year on the practice squad.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
If it's me:

Big contracts:
D.Prescott - 6-year deal
A.Cooper - 5-year deal
D.Lawrence - 5-year deal
B.Jones - 5-year deal

Others:
J.Swaim - 3-year deal (Hanna type money)
R.Smith - 2-year deal (A.Morris type money)
T.Austin - 2-year deal (Low base, high bonus)
LP - 1-year deal (year to year deal)
Irving - 1 year (RoMac type deal)
Fleming - 1 yr 2.5m (Same as the last contract)

Cut:
Lee, TW, Hurns, Beasley, Olawale,

Sign:
Earl Thomas
A more physical fullback

Draft:
WR, LB focus

Wow... guess you're all in on Dak, huh. I think that we've got to pay him just because the situation for teams without a QB is so dire (I'll bet you now, Teddy Bridgewater gets $20 mil/season in free agency based on a couple of passes in preseason), but a 6 year mega deal is marrying yourself to him, and the "bad halves" of 2017/18 make me feel pretty uneasy about that. I would prefer something like a short term Bortles deal ideally, or failing that a Kapernick/Dalton style "pay as you go" deal that gives Dak very high annual salaries in exchange for the freedom to get us from underneath the deal if things go south.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It was only dink and dunk because our WRs couldn't get seperation in the first half of the season, its a different offense with Amari onboard.

And you can do both with the RBs, you can have a quality back in Rod Smith plus add a quick specialty back in FA or the draft. This year we carried 7 WRs and 3 RBs, next year its probably 6 WRs and 4 RBs.

I like the idea of a real fullback too.

Teams have gone away from FBs because in a passing league, the advantage you lose by tipping your hand towards a run play is less than what you get from a lead blocker taking a defender out of the play. But with our OC, "tipping our hand" is his middle name. If we are going to use Noah freaking Brown as a lead blocker and use him just as predictably as a FB, let's go get a real FB in there. I liked having Keith Smith.