Updated: ***Cowboys Players Official Cut List***

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Surprised that Spears AND Coleman are still here.

Expected at least one to go.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Cowboyz88;4697650 said:

Both Geathers and Callaway apparently had disappointing camps/preseasons. With that in mind, both Coleman and Spears staying is not that surprising.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
I'm really bummed we're exposing Coale to waivers, as is the sentiment around the board. I think he has more potential than Holmes, honestly. Having Olgetree seems to have forces Coale off the roster. Ogletree, in my opinion, is a progress stopper.

I was looking forware to having the Co[a]le Brothers.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboyz88;4697650 said:

And it probably would have happened if Geathers had played well enough to make the roster. As is, Spears and Coleman played better than all the ends other than Jason Hatcher in his short stint.

I expected Sean Lissemore to outplay both of them and he did not. Tyrone Crawford was inconsistent. Ben Bass flashed and then faded.

gimmesix

Reaction score
CowboyMike;4697716 said:
I'm really bummed we're exposing Coale to waivers, as is the sentiment around the board. I think he has more potential than Holmes, honestly. Having Olgetree seems to have forces Coale off the roster. Ogletree, in my opinion, is a progress stopper.

I was looking forware to having the Co[a]le Brothers.

I'm not sure Coale has more potential than Holmes. Holmes is full of raw potential. I think Coale is more polished, and what you see with him is probably very close to what you're going to get throughout his career.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Cowboyz88;4697650 said:

D-Ware lined up behind Coleman a lot last year, and Ware had 19.5 sacks. That tells me Coleman did a great job holding the edge, because everybody goes into a game with Dallas trying (in vain) to stop Ware.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
gimmesix;4697727 said:
I'm not sure Coale has more potential than Holmes. Holmes is full of raw potential. I think Coale is more polished, and what you see with him is probably very close to what you're going to get throughout his career.

I don't understand the fascination with Holmes. He has more potential because he's 6"5? I don't care how tall or big you are; if you can't translate your impressive measurables to the football field then it doesn't matter.

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
TheSport78;4697737 said:
I don't understand the fascination with Holmes. He has more potential because he's 6"5? I don't care how tall or big you are; if you can't translate your impressive measurables to the football field then it doesn't matter.

Sometimes guys develop longer. Some guys don't develop at all. You just have to be patient and once you come to that realization you can judge it with a clear lens. If he makes the squad watch the player over the year and see if you see progress.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gimmesix;4697727 said:

I was going to say the same thing. Holmes is nothing *but* potential. I understand the team wanting to keep him.

I'm more frustrated that Coale wasn't able to push Ogletree off the roster, frankly. But clearly, as much time as he missed, that wasn't going to happen. Nor should it have.

It sucks, though. Coale, Johnson, and Claiborne were my three favorite picks from this draft. To lose one, have one...underwhelming...and have one on the bubble after one camp is not very impressive.

Merlin

Reaction score
TheSport78;4697737 said:

Some people said the same of Miles Austin. Took him years to develop. Holmes has speed as well, that is what intrigues them. Although his speed doesn't necessarily translate at this point but he is still raw. If he learns to get off the line quicker, that would solve alot of the problems. He has a jump step off the line which does nothing but take his speed away from him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
TheSport78;4697737 said:

No, he has more potential because he's more raw as a receiver, at 6-5. Size, good speed and good hands are on his side while he has room to improve quite a bit in other areas. (Not saying he will.)

Coale is what he is, and Dallas didn't see enough of him that what he is beats out the potential of Holmes. Maybe if Coale had had more practice/playing time that would have been different.

Based on what we saw of Coale (not counting what he did in college), I'm not sure why people are so high on him compared to Holmes. Was it the one-handed catch, because that's really the only show-off moment Coale had?

I'm not saying he won't turn out to be the better player, it just seems there's a lot of hype for a guy who didn't really get to show us much and possibly didn't have much more to show.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Idgit;4697756 said:
I'm more frustrated that Coale wasn't able to push Ogletree off the roster, frankly. But clearly, as much time as he missed, that wasn't going to happen. Nor should it have.

I don't think he was going to push Ogletree off the roster no matter what, based on how Ogletree played overall.

I think he might have been able to push himself onto the roster, but we really don't know. I don't think Dallas would have cut him if he had showed some special traits in practices and games, but I don't think he did. Now, some of that might be simply because he's behind on everything and he'll turn out great, but we don't know that and neither does Dallas.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
TheSport78;4697737 said:

????

Holmes had 3 catches of 15 yards or more in the preseason. His 32 yard catch last night alone was more than Coale had in two games combined.

Holmes is following exactly down the career path Miles Austin took. Season 1: Practice Squad. Season 2: Make 53 man roster, contribute on special teams, maybe catch 5-15 passes. Season 3: Get time as 3rd WR. Season 4: Compete for starter spot. That's the career path for these big guys who don't have much college experience. Holmes' ceiling is Miles Austin. Coale's ceiling is Andre Caldwell or Jabar Gaffney. You can go out and sign Gaffney off the street today. They're not hard to find.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
gimmesix;4697786 said:
I don't think he was going to push Ogletree off the roster no matter what, based on how Ogletree played overall.

I think he might have been able to push himself onto the roster, but we really don't know. I don't think Dallas would have cut him if he had showed some special traits in practices and games, but I don't think he did. Now, some of that might be simply because he's behind on everything and he'll turn out great, but we don't know that and neither does Dallas.

Broaddus said that Jimmy Robinson has been spending extra time with Coale after practice trying to get him caught up. He said coaches typically don't do that with players unless they're really trying to evaluate what they can do. I guess Robinson wasn't that blown away.

Mash

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4697793 said:
Broaddus said that Jimmy Robinson has been spending extra time with Coale after practice trying to get him caught up. He said coaches typically don't do that with players unless they're really trying to evaluate what they can do. I guess Robinson wasn't that blown away.

Thks man.....you continue to throw out great info.....I really appreciate it...

gimmesix

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4697793 said:

Quite frankly, I'm not sure if Coale is a blow-away-type receiver. What he showed in the game is slot/possession-type receiver ability, which is why I think it was ultimately Cole Beasley who took his spot (not Holmes), although Beasley did flash ability to set up deep moves. Now, maybe that was the case because Dallas couldn't get Coale caught up enough to show more than that, but it's possible that's his ceiling (which isn't necessarily a bad ceiling).

That's why I don't like to get too worked-up over cuts. Most guys cut go on to have inconsequential careers, while the few who do go on to breakout careers elsewhere cause fans to be concerned over every cut.

I would have loved to have kept Coale, Hamilton and Lemon, along with Bass and Dunbar, but there's more of a chance of none of them making significant contributions in the league than one of them becoming a big-time player.

gimmesix

Reaction score
cowboyschmps3;4694883 said:

Of the guys listed here, I'd consider Coale, Lemon, Hamilton, Leary, Carpenter, Smith, Bass, Benford, Dunbar and Szczerba for the practice squad. That's along with two players already cut, Raymond Radway and Charley Hughlett.

I would think we should be able to get eight of those 12 back.

If all were available, I'd leave out Smith, Carpenter, Szczerba and Hughlett.