Updated: ***Cowboys Players Official Cut List***

poost

Reaction score
Perhaps keeping McGee so the Giants don't pick his brain.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Bluestang;4697904 said:
This is how I see it as well. Still don't agree with it.

Me neither, but I have less of a problem with it knowing we were going to keep a QB either way.

I just would have taken a chance on getting Carpenter to the PS and held on to either Coale, Lemon or Hamilton, or even Olawale, instead.

I don't think the risk of losing one of them was worth keeping McGee, but again, those players' careers might not turn out to be any better than McGee's.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
gimmesix;4697835 said:
Of the guys listed here, I'd consider Coale, Lemon, Hamilton, Leary, Carpenter, Smith, Bass, Benford, Dunbar and Szczerba for the practice squad. That's along with two players already cut, Raymond Radway and Charley Hughlett.

I would think we should be able to get eight of those 12 back.

If all were available, I'd leave out Smith, Carpenter, Szczerba and Hughlett.

I have to add Olawale to my list.

You know, it's funny looking at this: We exposed three young receivers to waivers and will get at least one of Radway, Coale and Benford to the PS. Of the three, Benford probably showed the most.

People here are going to flip out if we have our choice and choose Benford over Coale.

KB1122

Reaction score
Bluestang;4697893 said:
Because McGee has not shown improvement over the last few years.

He still holds onto the ball too long and has no pocket awareness.

That's the thing, though. Quarterback development is an NFL myth. The idea that you take a quarterback in the fourth round, and if he spends the next four years eating vitamins, studying the playbook, and getting to bed on time he'll lead you eventually to the Super Bowl is a huge NFL myth. Apparently it's a myth our front office believed at one time.

If I used a fourth round pick on a qb, which I absolutely wouldn't, I would expect him to be no more than a backup and no more. A number two if you're lucky. A number three if not. That's what McGee is, essentially.

Bluestang

Reaction score
KB1122;4697929 said:
That's the thing, though. Quarterback development is an NFL myth. The idea that you take a quarterback in the fourth round, and if he spends the next four years eating vitamins, studying the playbook, and getting to bed on time he'll lead you eventually to the Super Bowl is a huge NFL myth. Apparently it's a myth our front office believed at one time.

If I used a fourth round pick on a qb, which I absolutely wouldn't, I would expect him to be no more than a backup and no more. A number two if you're lucky. A number three if not. That's what McGee is, essentially.

I never thought McGee would ever take Romo's job either but he hasn't shown much improvement and at least you would like to get something in return for a 4th rd pick.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KB1122;4697929 said:
That's the thing, though. Quarterback development is an NFL myth. The idea that you take a quarterback in the fourth round, and if he spends the next four years eating vitamins, studying the playbook, and getting to bed on time he'll lead you eventually to the Super Bowl is a huge NFL myth. Apparently it's a myth our front office believed at one time....

Wat?!?

CooterBrown

Reaction score
KB1122;4697929 said:

Yeah, and a 9th rounder (Unitas) or a 6th rounder (Brady) or an undrafted free agent (Romo) shouldn't even show up at an NFL training camp cause they will just be wasting roster space. Why draft a QB in the FOURTH round??

Kilyin

Reaction score
KB1122;4697929 said:

Uh...

notsureifserious.jpg

KB1122

Reaction score
Idgit;4697932 said:

Fourth rounders who won the Super Bowl ..... Joe Theismann. And he started his rookie year in Toronto.

Kilyin

Reaction score
KB1122;4697946 said:
Fourth rounders who won the Super Bowl ..... Joe Theismann. And he started his rookie year in Toronto.

I'm not even gonna bother. You should just close your browser and come back later.

KB1122

Reaction score
CooterBrown;4697939 said:
Yeah, and a 9th rounder (Unitas) or a 6th rounder (Brady) or an undrafted free agent (Romo) shouldn't even show up at an NFL training camp cause they will just be wasting roster space. Why draft a QB in the FOURTH round??

Unitas I believe would be a third-rounder in today's NFL and he didn't stay on the bench long. Brady started his rookie year. He didn't develop on the bench. And I might use a sixth rounder on a qb with a funky college career, like Brady, or Johnson. I would use a sixth rounder ahead of a fourth rounder.

Has Romo won a Super Bowl? I forget.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
KB1122;4697950 said:
Unitas I believe would be a third-rounder in today's NFL. Brady started his rookie year. He didn't develop on the bench. And I might use a sixth rounder on a qb with a funky college career, like Brady, or Johnson. I would use a sixth rounder ahead of a fourth rounder.

So you're saying he never will? I have to strongly disagree with you there. He's an excellent QB.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
KB1122;4697950 said:
Unitas I believe would be a third-rounder in today's NFL. Brady started his rookie year. He didn't develop on the bench. And I might use a sixth rounder on a qb with a funky college career, like Brady, or Johnson. I would use a sixth rounder ahead of a fourth rounder.

Brady threw 3 passes his rookie year 1 for 3 then he started 15 games his second year when Bledsoe took a hit and was lose for the majority of the season

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I just hope we can hold onto Orie Lemon but I think he'll probably be our highest rated practice squad player so I expect him and Coale to be scooped up by other teams

CooterBrown

Reaction score
KB1122;4697950 said:

Unitas was cut by the team that drafted him and was a free agent when he signed with Baltimore. Brady started his rookie year because Bledsoe got injured. And if winning Superbowls is the only measure of a QB, then Kelly and Marino were bad too. QB, like most positions is a crap-shoot. You can improve your odds by drafting higher, but you can never say never.

KB1122

Reaction score
Kangaroo;4697955 said:
Brady threw 3 passes his rookie year 1 for 3 then he started 15 games his second year when Bledsoe took a hit and was lose for the majority of the season

Fair enough. But almost never will you see a qb ride pine for a few years and later win a championship, unless he's a high pick. This is particularly true of the fourth round. There are a scatterling of examples, but that's it.

My point is that a quarterback either has that talent or not and usally fourth-rounders do not. Brady went late, but he had the talent, and was a starter by his second year. Same is true of Montana. There is almost never a long apprenticeship that helps a mid-round pick.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KB1122;4697962 said:
Fair enough. But almost never will you see a qb ride pine for a few years and later win a championship, unless he's a high pick. This is particularly true of the fourth round. There are a scatterling of examples, but that's it.

My point is that a quarterback either has that talent or not and usally fourth-rounders do not. Brady went late, but he had the talent, and was a starter by his second year. Same is true of Montana. There is almost never a long apprenticeship that helps a mid-round pick.

Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
KB1122;4697962 said:

"Almost never" I can agree with, but successful teams consistently draft according to their draft board. If your evaluations say that the best player left on the board is a QB, you draft the QB.