Updated Draft Order as of 12/26

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zagnut said:
I have a 30 going on 31 year old left tackle coming off a season ending knee injury who was never the quickest or most disciplined player to begin with. Hoping for the best, but anyone thinking Flo has many more years at the LT position is lying to themselves.

My point is it's the position on the line you build around. It already costs much money to fill the position with even average players and is therefore worth a first rounder.

It's also the position on the line most responsible for protecting the blind side of most teams' big money player -- another reason why it's a position worth taking.

It's also the most difficult line position to fill, current difficulties with our Centers notwithstanding -- another reason why it's worth taking.

I'm betting $$ we don't draft a 1st round offensive lineman.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
StarMan said:
No doubt Rob has struggled. His struggles have been magnified since the loss of Flozell. But you cannot discount the fact that he's a rookie 6th round pick.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think an offseason in the weight room and a year of starting experience under his belt will help Rob immensely.

absolutely.......

Rob has proven he's a hard worker and has a good head on his shoulders. I'm more than willing to give him time to fine tune his skills.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
absolutely.......

Rob has proven he's a hard worker and has a good head on his shoulders. I'm more than willing to give him time to fine tune his skills.

Yeah, as a backup though.

We cannot allow this guy to hold us hostage next year.

He should get the opportunity to compete for the starting job but we really need to draft a Tackle in the 1st Round. Teams do it all the time, I dont know why we cant, but then again, teams draft QBs in the 1st round, we take the road less taken :banghead: .

- Mike G.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Yeah, as a backup though.

We cannot allow this guy to hold us hostage next year.

He should get the opportunity to compete for the starting job but we really need to draft a Tackle in the 1st Round. Teams do it all the time, I dont know why we cant, but then again, teams draft QBs in the 1st round, we take the road less taken :banghead: .

- Mike G.

and I agree ..... w/out the OL problems this season we would not be needing help getting into the playoffs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:
Of course we wont Mikey, it makes too much sense :).

Ah, I dunno Mike. I see things like inexperience and injuries causing much of our O-line problems. I believe you have to think long-term with the o-line and believe that either Petitti or Tucker will progress and at least become acceptable right tackles. Adams isn't ancient and a repaired ACL isn't the crippling injury for a lineman that it would be for any other player.

Longterm, I'm much more afraid of our situation at guard. I would not be shocked to have either Allen or Rivera retire after this season. Maybe both.

But you don't draft guards in round 1. You just don't.

And with what I've seen by our ILB's not named Brady and our FS position, I think an argument could be made that any of the 3 positions, O-line, ILB or FS could be prime picks in the 1st round.

But my gut says ILB. Parcells wants a "player" there.

So I'll say ILB in round 1, an O-lineman in round 2 and a FS in round 3.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Ah, I dunno Mike. I see things like inexperience and injuries causing much of our O-line problems. I believe you have to think long-term with the o-line and believe that either Petitti or Tucker will progress and at least become acceptable right tackles. Adams isn't ancient and a repaired ACL isn't the crippling injury for a lineman that it would be for any other player.

Longterm, I'm much more afraid of our situation at guard. I would not be shocked to have either Allen or Rivera retire after this season. Maybe both.

And with what I've seen by our ILB's not named Brady and our FS position, I think an argument could be made that any of the 3 positions, O-line, ILB or FS could be prime picks in the 1st round.

But you said Niland was our best OL taken in round 1.

:wink2:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40 said:
and I agree ..... w/out the OL problems this season we would not be needing help getting into the playoffs.

Yeah CBZ I agree with that but even if the oline was in better shape my gut tells me our problems at LB and FS would be critical enough to doom any sort of long-term jaunt in playoffs.

My goodness we fixed a ton of problems this season. I think it's unrealistic to have fixed them all in one offseason.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I'm betting $$ we don't draft a 1st round offensive lineman.

Then we are turning a blind eye to one of this teams biggest problems.

If it isn't an OL, it had better be a LBer.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:

When I was doing my Mock in this thread those were my 2 focus areas. Ultimately as I thought of Nguyen possibly retiring I thought we might look ILB. Brooks playing for Groh at Virginia just made too much sense.

I won't be the least bit shocked if we go OL instead.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

I know, but it is really time to start drafting guys with the "Pedigree" of a 1st Rounder now.

We have built up the Defensive Line, The Secondary, the Halfabcks, Linebackers, and even upgraded QB temporarily. Time to start drafting Franchise Right Tackle or even a guard so we can pound our East Coast Rivals and all of them are out east in December.

Seriously, Offensive Line has held this team hostage long enough. What would be better than...

Flozell Adams LT
Larry Allen LG
Al Johnson C
Marco Rivera RG
1st Round Young Buck RT

And you know what, I will go ahead and put my ENTIRE agenda out there. I wouldnt mind going Guard or Center in the 1st round in 2007 as well.

We cannot allow this team to be held hostage. Flozell could get hurt again. But if you have a young guy in the 1st Round, then you dont have to help 2 tackles.

Mikey, I am a little surprised that you dont want Tucker on the bench like me. He is fine for 1 or 2 games but I dont ever want to see this guy on the field and hold us hostage again.

Most Mock Drafts have 3 OTs available, I am assuming they all could be taught to play Right Tackle. That is our biggest weakness, besides Mr. Zimmy, so why wouldnt address that.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:

I'm betting linebacker.

I think Purcells and company are going to give Petitti and Tucker every opportunity to improve over the offseason.

I think guard is potentially a much more serious problem. I think Petitti and Tucker both have upside, where Allen and Rivera are only going to decline.

I don't have the man-hate for Johnson either that many do. If we could get the center from NO for a reasonable price I would say, "do it", if not I would be very hesitant and drafting another center early (like in round 2).

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:
I know, but it is really time to start drafting guys with the "Pedigree" of a 1st Rounder now.

We have built up the Defensive Line, The Secondary, the Halfabcks, Linebackers, and even upgraded QB temporarily. Time to start drafting Franchise Right Tackle or even a guard so we can pound our East Coast Rivals and all of them are out east in December.

Seriously, Offensive Line has held this team hostage long enough. What would be better than...

Flozell Adams LT
Larry Allen LG
Al Johnson C
Marco Rivera RG
1st Round Young Buck RT

And you know what, I will go ahead and put my ENTIRE agenda out there. I wouldnt mind going Guard or Center in the 1st round in 2007 as well.

We cannot allow this team to be held hostage. Flozell could get hurt again. But if you have a young guy in the 1st Round, then you dont have to help 2 tackles.

Mikey, I am a little surprised that you dont want Tucker on the bench like me. He is fine for 1 or 2 games but I dont ever want to see this guy on the field and hold us hostage again.

Most Mock Drafts have 3 OTs available, I am assuming they all could be taught to play Right Tackle. That is our biggest weakness, besides Mr. Zimmy, so why wouldnt address that.

Purcells has said he won't allow Petitti to fail... and he won't. I think they give him every opportunity in the world to stay as the incumbent RT starter... consequently no 1st round OT. A 2nd round guard? You bet!

Alexander

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I think Purcells and company are going to give Petitti and Tucker every opportunity to improve over the offseason.

Are you deliberately attempting to scare me?

I think guard is potentially a much more serious problem. I think Petitti and Tucker both have upside, where Allen and Rivera are only going to decline.

Allen and Rivera (along with Gurode) can tough it out for another year. Besides, you can hide a subpar guard.

You cannot do that with a tackle, which we should have learned the hard way this season.

I don't have the man-hate for Johnson either that many do. If we could get the center from NO for a reasonable price I would say, "do it", if not I would be very hesitant and drafting another center early (like in round 2).

I don't think Johnson is in any danger. I am like you, he is not the worst. At least not in the way some people around here think he is Clay Shivers Part two.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Purcells has said he won't allow Petitti to fail... and he won't. I think they give him every opportunity in the world to stay as the incumbent RT starter... consequently no 1st round OT. A 2nd round guard? You bet!

See, I cannot take Bill's word for that judging by what happened to Peterman and Jacobs.

Also, he bragged heavily on Delroy and Willie and they didnt turn out so hot.

I just dont see why he is so scared to draft a Tackle. Yes, it is not sexy and glamourous, but it is holding us hostage at the moment, with or without Flozell Adams.

I really dont know how the Braintrust can justify picking a Linebacker over a OT, unless Parcells thinks this draft is OT deep.

Nobody should be comfortable with Petitti and Tucker coming back. Tucker has had all the opportunity in the world.

I have defended Petitti to the death on this board but I am really starting to move over into Rack's camp.

I mean...my GOSH...a false start on a QB sneak on 3rd and inches....I still cant believe he did that Sunday.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Yeah CBZ I agree with that but even if the oline was in better shape my gut tells me our problems at LB and FS would be critical enough to doom any sort of long-term jaunt in playoffs.

My goodness we fixed a ton of problems this season. I think it's unrealistic to have fixed them all in one offseason.

I have no problem w/the holes BP concentrated on fixing in the offseason. The D last year had to be first prioroty.

With a little more pass protection and a minute better running game ..... :eek: and a kicker :) ,

Some of those 3 point losses would have been Ws

No doubt LB & FS are the two ingredients missing on our soon to be better than excellent D.

I think we take the BPA at those positions in the first round.......We can only hope he can finish the D and fill alot of holes on O this offseason.

If he can, we should be real close.

Alexander

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
See, I cannot take Bill's word for that judging by what happened to Peterman and Jacobs.

Also, he bragged heavily on Delroy and Willie and they didnt turn out so hot.

I just dont see why he is so scared to draft a Tackle. Yes, it is not sexy and glamourous, but it is holding us hostage at the moment, with or without Flozell Adams.

I really dont know how the Braintrust can justify picking a Linebacker over a OT, unless Parcells thinks this draft is OT deep.

Nobody should be comfortable with Petitti and Tucker coming back. Tucker has had all the opportunity in the world.

I have defended Petitti to the death on this board but I am really starting to move over into Rack's camp.

I mean...my GOSH...a false start on a QB sneak on 3rd and inches....I still cant believe he did that Sunday.

I fully expect a draft like the one he did with New York in 1988 when he took Eric Moore and Jumbo Elliott one-two.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I fully expect a draft like the one he did with New York in 1988 when he took Eric Moore and Jumbo Elliott one-two.

Names are familiar, but how did they turn out?

Alexander

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Names are familiar, but how did they turn out?

Jumbo Elliot was a great player for him.

Eric Moore, not so much.