Upon Further Review we beat ourselves against the Giants

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dak will be better prepared for their D this year. If their run game is as pathetic as I saw last night, they are in for a long season. Brandon Marshall is not all that any more. Their D is tough. It will make for a lower scoring game but I think we will fair better against them this year with or without Zeke.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
So he's a mismanaging puppet when we lose but receives no credit when his team wins 13 games

No wonder fans of other teams think our fan base is a joke

This must be a joke post.

Jason Garrett teams have more talent than other teams most of the time and that is why we win.

We are always at a disadvantage when it comes to coaching.

Think how many times Dez has not been utilized properly? Or how flat we played in the GB game? Or how he couldn't handle the clock (20 times?)

I mean seriously- look at it objectively. Anyone could coach this team

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
13-3.

We rarely beat ourselves, but when we do lose, fans who ought to know better blame it on coaching reflexively, anyway. For example, blaming a lack of creativity in the red zone which may or may not actually have existed on a coach or play called without acknowledging it was the first start ever for a rookie 4th round pick who didn't even get the lion's share of snaps in camp.

You know....just not thinking things through before firing off a brain dead knee jerk criticism that doesn't hold water.

How about this? When we are evenly talented with the other team, we don't win?

You can see the two playoff wins he has in all of his time here to prove that.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This must be a joke post.

Jason Garrett teams have more talent than other teams most of the time and that is why we win.

We are always at a disadvantage when it comes to coaching.

Think how many times Dez has not been utilized properly? Or how flat we played in the GB game? Or how he couldn't handle the clock (20 times?)

I mean seriously- look at it objectively. Anyone could coach this team

Did you learn nothing from Jerry using this same #logic? You make no sense

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
13-3.

We rarely beat ourselves, but when we do lose, fans who ought to know better blame it on coaching reflexively, anyway. For example, blaming a lack of creativity in the red zone which may or may not actually have existed on a coach or play called without acknowledging it was the first start ever for a rookie 4th round pick who didn't even get the lion's share of snaps in camp.

You know....just not thinking things through before firing off a brain dead knee jerk criticism that doesn't hold water.

They have constantly lost games they had won the last 10 years for many reasons. If you don't think so I don't know how you can say you even watch the games or you just don't pay attention. All those 8-8 years were 10-12 win seasons without the screw ups.

13-3... what happened in the first half of the playoff game? What happened our last playoff game? What happened vs the Seahawks playoff game?

Hopefully it changes but Stephen A. was absolutely right Dallas has been an accident waiting to happen for a long time now. Pumping sunshine doesnt make this all go away. Im not even being negative im stating a fact.

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Giants swept dallas lol
It wasn't luck it was good defense.
Coaching did factor into it.
Linehan needs to have something
New for the giants this year!

We kinda beat ourselves. It wasn't luck at all. However, I think we played right into their hands.

We played with a conservative offense kept running the ball up the middle, and running those long and winding routes allowing the Giants pass rush to get to Dak.

Hopefully, this year we won't be so predictable. We use a game plan to spread the ball around - and not just focused on Dez.

Coaches played a big part in our losses. Were the better team. But we find ways to lose.

khiladi

Reaction score
Cowboys lose, Zeke needs to run the ball more...

Zeke gets suspended for six games, I don't think Zeke being out influences our offense that much in the long run...

links18

Reaction score
I believe the coaches will have a better handle on how to matchup with them this season:

His name is Ryan Switzer lol. He and Beasley in the slot will put the Giants in a tough spot when we go 4 wide.

I'll have more faith in Switzer when he finds his way out of the tub and onto the field.

khiladi

Reaction score
We did a poor job of using Dez in the first game. 23 out of 29 routes were go routes and Dak wasn't on point that game with the deep pass. Also remember that EE had some adjusting to do with zone running.

I'm assuming that the Giants will stay with the Cover 5 and we'll attack with more 10 personnel and have EE be the extra person to block. If EE is out (I think his suspension will be delayed) then that throws a bit of a monkey wrench into the plans because EE is a far better pass protector than the rest of the RB's on the team. We may still go with 10 personnel, but by the looks of our preseason game against the Colts, we may go no huddle-hurry up to get the Giants out of blitzing and get us and keep us in favorable matchups.

YR

First game, Zeke was absolutely just getting use to the pro-game and they changed his holding style to make sure he didn't fumble.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...went-fumbles-nfl-rushing-leader-2-short-weeks

Second, we always have a heavy dose of go routes with Dez and Terrance Williams for that matter. Both WRs were top in the league and T Will actually was ahead of Dez and in 2014-2015 for example when Dallas had the second fewest pass attempts of any in the league.

go-routes.0.png

Linehan did a really good job last year of totally adjusting the game plan for Dak and the Dallas passing offense was built off play-action and much more wide variety of passing game, particularly using moving the pocket as well.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have constantly lost games they had won the last 10 years for many reasons. If you don't think so I don't know how you can say you even watch the games or you just don't pay attention. All those 8-8 years were 10-12 win seasons without the screw ups.

13-3... what happened in the first half of the playoff game? What happened our last playoff game? What happened vs the Seahawks playoff game?

Hopefully it changes but Stephen A. was absolutely right Dallas has been an accident waiting to happen for a long time now. Pumping sunshine doesnt make this all go away. Im not even being negative im stating a fact.

They simply didn't 'constantly lose games they had wont he last 10 years for many reasons.' Garrett's Cowboys pretty much beat the teams they were supposed to beat, and lost to the teams they were supposed to lose two. And were pretty much .500 against the teams as good as they were. It's been pointed out, many times, that they don't get blown out. They're in just about every game.

You just can't get around the idea that you thought those 8-8 rosters were rosters that should have been contending for titles when they were really rosters that were contending for the division only. And then, when our .500 teams lost half there games, everybody was running around here saying the problem was with the play calling, citing plays that didn't work and suggesting the opposite play calls would have. The whole, 'hindsight 20/20' thing.

The reality was, we were rebuilding the offense and had a great QB and a terrible defense, and as they team got better players, they started winning more. Saying that, they're still ~25% in the league under Garrett in terms of wins.

The playoff games were us getting beat by comparable teams in games we could have won. The Seahawks playoff game was in 2006, under Parcels, and before Garrett got here. *That* was a game we should have won, and a game where we coached too conservatively given all of their secondary injuries, btw.

khiladi

Reaction score
We were 'rebuilding the offense' according to some, but the offense and talent was never the problem according to that SAME some, during those years they were losing. Kevin Ogletree during those years the Garrett brothers were trying to force him into the passing game was a good talent back in those days... It was ALL the fault of the defense, of which Garrett had no control during that time.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
That is what happens when the head coach is a puppet who literally does nothing except for mismanage the clock every 3-4 games.

Both games against the Giants lacked any type of creativity. As the op said, those long drawn out routes were an awful way to go about it.

I don't really blame Linehan as much as Garrett
I see you, Mike Lombardi.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We were 'rebuilding the offense' according to some, but the offense and talent was never the problem according to that SAME some, during those years they were losing. Kevin Ogletree during those years the Garrett brothers were trying to force him into the passing game was a good talent back in those days... It was ALL the fault of the defense, of which Garrett had no control during that time.

Look up the points/offensive drives stats for whatever period you're suggesting. We have been ~top10 for Garrett's tenure, and have moved up as the offensive personnel have improved into the top 4-5 teams in the league, generally. We were 4th last year. 2nd in 2014.

During the years we were losing, we were losing because we had a franchise-worst defense. And during those years you guys were blaming the play calling and Kevin Ogletree. Remember?

khiladi

Reaction score
BTW, we use to here types of dumb things from people that use to blame Romo for garbage play-calling, such as Romo couldn't throw slants. In 2012 for example, he was throwing at 80% on slants. Plus, the simple nature of our passing game could be seen in the check down routes, coupled with all the gos we use to run.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2012/11/13/running-numbers-tony-romo’s-best-and-worst-routes

Plus, no QB could have survived in this offense unless one could throw an excellent go-route. The fact he was working with such garbage OLs for his time here is a testimony to his greatness.

http://cowboyszone.com/2014/06/dez-bryant-route-running-nuances-of-the-go-route.html

khiladi

Reaction score
Look up the points/offensive drives stats for whatever period you're suggesting. We have been ~top10 for Garrett's tenure, and have moved up as the offensive personnel have improved into the top 4-5 teams in the league, generally. We were 4th last year. 2nd in 2014.

During the years we were losing, we were losing because we had a franchise-worst defense. And during those years you guys were blaming the play calling and Kevin Ogletree. Remember?

You're the one now saying that we were rebuilding the offense during that time, so don't blame me for your contradicting yourself.

Reality is, your boy was benched with play-calling per Jerry and since then, with Garrett being a 'walk-around' HC, the offense and QBs have been in better hands. Of course, Garrett defenders like to conveniently forget this fact.. Rverything according to them, was part of the plan of the all-seeing Garrett. Including having to suck so much to the point they had to change the 3-4 to 4-3 thinking that would fix everything and how much time was invested in Garrett defenders before Kiffen proceeded to suck, telling us how great Kiffen would be and that it was purely Garrett's decision... And of course part of his 'process' was to suck so much as an OC that he would be benched for it.. all part of his plan...

Last edited:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
In a shoot out, which it very well might be, but if Dallas can bring some D, some sort of a pass rush week 1, we will manhandle the Vagiants.
They have no OL,, they drafted a TE that doesn't block, instead of addressing a pressing need.
You cant survive in this league, this Division, doing that.
The Giants OL is their Achilles heel, expose it and you beat them.

Eli gets the ball out quick and we simply have not been able to muster much of a rush against him.

I agree that their OL is their achilles heel-- but they have a very impressive array of pass catchers and a QB that saves his best performances for us.

Hopefullythe youth on D step up and we get after him. Part of me expects a shootout simply b/c that has been the reality more often than not in the Romo era

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
You can't take anything from game 2. There were 17 punts and 6 turnovers in that game. It was not a night for offense which is going to favor the Gints.