Upon Further Review we beat ourselves against the Giants

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
You can't take anything from game 2. There were 17 punts and 6 turnovers in that game. It was not a night for offense which is going to favor the Gints.

It was a night also which Zeke ran for 100 yards. Im not sure why we stopped using Zeke and started passing more.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
They simply didn't 'constantly lose games they had wont he last 10 years for many reasons.' Garrett's Cowboys pretty much beat the teams they were supposed to beat, and lost to the teams they were supposed to lose two. And were pretty much .500 against the teams as good as they were. It's been pointed out, many times, that they don't get blown out. They're in just about every game.

You just can't get around the idea that you thought those 8-8 rosters were rosters that should have been contending for titles when they were really rosters that were contending for the division only. And then, when our .500 teams lost half there games, everybody was running around here saying the problem was with the play calling, citing plays that didn't work and suggesting the opposite play calls would have. The whole, 'hindsight 20/20' thing.

The reality was, we were rebuilding the offense and had a great QB and a terrible defense, and as they team got better players, they started winning more. Saying that, they're still ~25% in the league under Garrett in terms of wins.

The playoff games were us getting beat by comparable teams in games we could have won. The Seahawks playoff game was in 2006, under Parcels, and before Garrett got here. *That* was a game we should have won, and a game where we coached too conservatively given all of their secondary injuries, btw.

Never said they were contenders. Im saying they were better than 8-8 if they didnt make so many mistakes. Like the lions game years ago. Weren't we up like 28-0 at half? Something like that. If I had the time I could find a ton of games were they should've won but lost by their own mistakes. Both games to the giants last year they could've won also. Especially the first one.

Like the Superbowl. The pats didn't win it the falcons lost it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're the one now saying that we were rebuilding the offense during that time, so don't blame me for your contradicting yourself....

There's no debating the fact that we went about rebuilding the offense during that time. I'm simply acknowledging what happened.

I'm on record as saying we needed to be addressing DL instead most of those years. But the draft board broke the way the draft board broke.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It was a night also which Zeke ran for 100 yards. Im not sure why we stopped using Zeke and started passing more.

The other big problem is that we slowed down the audience ala Romo style where we audible 37 times with 1 second left on the play clock. After that game we started to speed up the offense more and it paid dividends.

That's one thing I was happy to see from us against the Colts on Saturday...we sped up the offense with Dak in the game. We don't have to be Chip Kelly out there, but we badly need to pick up the pace of the offense and be able to change the pace when necessary. That to me was Romo's biggest weakness. And you could see in the 2nd game where a lot of audibles were missed and not everybody was on the same page and we missed out on some huge plays.

YR

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
The other big problem is that we slowed down the audience ala Romo style where we audible 37 times with 1 second left on the play clock. After that game we started to speed up the offense more and it paid dividends.

That's one thing I was happy to see from us against the Colts on Saturday...we sped up the offense with Dak in the game. We don't have to be Chip Kelly out there, but we badly need to pick up the pace of the offense and be able to change the pace when necessary. That to me was Romo's biggest weakness. And you could see in the 2nd game where a lot of audibles were missed and not everybody was on the same page and we missed out on some huge plays.

YR

Bingo.
Speed it up, spread them out and they'll put up 24 or more which should be enough to win. They're corners are good, but not THAT good.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The Giants had the best red zone defense in the NFL in 2016, in terms of TD percentage. They had a little something to do with it.

LOL they also had one the worst red zone offense in the league, which is why as bad we played the 2nd game, we still led 7-3 until Eli hit Beckham on a 61 yarder to take lead.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
First game against the Giants:

We had too many field goals. I believe that we got too predictable in the red zone and weren't aggressive enough in trying to score.
Lastly, Williams should have gone out of bounds of course. Thats his fault.
All in all, the Giants didn't beat us. We beat ourselves and we had every chance to win.
I blame the coaches on this one. They seem to get too conservative in the redzone. Plus this was Prescott's and Elliott's first real NFL game.

Second game against the Giants:

Bad night for Prescott which is probably his worst game of the season. I think this has to do with him trying to force the ball to Bryant and get him going. This game I wish they would have played a spread offense and force the Giant's to defend the entire field. Yet it seems we went to much max protection instead.

I feel the weather also contributed heavily to the lost. If thats the case, we should have ran the ball more. Elliott had a good game. But yet we kept trying to pass the ball running deep routes which I felt was the worst way to beat the Giants defense.

I blame this game on Prescott. But you can't really blame him. I also blame it on Dez. It seems he wanted the ball. Instead we should have just relied on the run more and the short and quick passes.

Most of all, the blame goes towards the coaches in both losses. We were moving the ball and we let the momentum slips thru fingertips. There is no excuse for that.

Lastly, I want to end that the Giants do not have our number. They are not the better team. We should not have lost both games and they do not have a formula in knowing how to beat us. What they have is better coaching. I hope and pray that this season we can give them a beating that they deserve. Because they are losers.

I disagree. lets not try to sugar coat it. they beat us. with score 19-13, they stopped us. we actually lost 5 yards on 4 plays. We punted and they had a nice return? where was the special teams stop on a punt!...then they took the ball and just drove down the field. they had two runs of 12 and 9 yards..... right up the middle. and scored a TD. we got the ball back. with 6 minutes to go. and we managed 8 yards!!!!

their defense stopped us.

they got the ball with 4 minutes to go and killed 3 minutes off the clock. they ran 8 plays....that should be a 3 and out. they had 3 first downs on that drive. they left us with 1 minute to go.

they ran the ball on 8 straight plays. we knew they are going to kill the clock and run the ball...yet they got 43 yards rushing!!! where is the stop.

don't sugar coat it. in the first game they beat us...... they stopped us when it mattered. they scored when it mattered.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

YR

Yes I hope what we saw during the Colts game carries over to regular season. I can't recall Dallas going no huddle and a hurry up offense ever in the opening drive. So I'm kinda giddy to see something new from the Dallas offense. If they incorporate Switzer into that lineup its going to be lethal.

I agree that we don't have to be like Chip Kelly. But enough for the defense to account for us going hurry up.

Our problem was we didn't use Bryant effectively. I don't see the point in sending him on the go route frequently if you don't throw it deep. I hope we throw it deep and often if we run those go routes. Especially in spread formation. It will really make the Giants think on how to defend our offense the length of the field.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I disagree. lets not try to sugar coat it. they beat us. with score 19-13, they stopped us. we actually lost 5 yards on 4 plays. We punted and they had a nice return? where was the special teams stop on a punt!...then they took the ball and just drove down the field. they had two runs of 12 and 9 yards..... right up the middle. and scored a TD. we got the ball back. with 6 minutes to go. and we managed 8 yards!!!!

their defense stopped us.

they got the ball with 4 minutes to go and killed 3 minutes off the clock. they ran 8 plays....that should be a 3 and out. they had 3 first downs on that drive. they left us with 1 minute to go.

they ran the ball on 8 straight plays. we knew they are going to kill the clock and run the ball...yet they got 43 yards rushing!!! where is the stop.

don't sugar coat it. in the first game they beat us...... they stopped us when it mattered. they scored when it mattered.

I said we beat ourselves which is a fair assessment since they beat us by 1 point in the first game and 3 points in the 2nd.

Their didn't was good but not great. We still had our opportunities given to us and we didn't capitalize. The Giants didn't overwhelm or over power us. We just found a way to lose.

Especially in the 2nd game. We missed a field goal and two INTs by Prescott. Bryant also fumbled the ball while we were driving for a score. So yes the Cowboys beat themselves. The Giants are beatable and we are still the team to beat in the NFC East. Not the Giants.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Our problem was we didn't use Bryant effectively. I don't see the point in sending him on the go route frequently if you don't throw it deep. I hope we throw it deep and often if we run those go routes. Especially in spread formation. It will really make the Giants think on how to defend our offense the length of the field.

The plan was pretty obvious to use Dez as a decoy. Dez averaged roughly 16 Go Routes per game if you believe the data compiled. Here he ran 23 which was overkill.

I don't have a problem with using anybody as a decoy...as long as it's working. If it ain't working, then you need to reassess and adjust accordingly.

YR

rpntex

Reaction score
that has been a garret trait since he came here. We run the ball well then he gets cute and we lose. does not matter who is the OC that has happened again and again.

Yes, Dallas ran the ball well when you look at just the stats. Those who are saying we got away from the running game in the second half I'm not looking at things in the proper context, however. Dallas had 10 "first down" situations in the second half, on which they ran the ball six times. The final two of those 10 first down snaps were inside the final 2 1/2 minutes, however. In other words, outside of "Two minutes offense" time,then I will still win the ball 75% of the time on first down opportunities. Second and third down calls were based on down and di then I will still win the ball 75% of the time on first down opportunities. Second and third down calls were based on down and distance. The second down situations in each of those drives looked this:

2nd & 7
2nd & 10
2nd & 10
2nd & 8
2nd & 6
2nd & 6
2nd & 11
2nd & 8

My point isthat Dallas didn't "abandone" the running game. Rather, the Giantsforced the Cowboys out of the running game by limiting the Cowboys first down effectiveness. Elliot averaged 2 yards per carry on first down snaps in the second half. Zeke carried the ball eight times for 27 yard in the second half, and 13 of those yards were gained on one play. His his longest. Outside of that one run his biggest carry was four yards. That credit goes to the giants, not blame on the cowboy staff.

rpntex

Reaction score

We didn't stop using Zeke in the second half. Rather, the Giants stopped it by limiting Zeke's effectiveness on first down.

Outside of their two minute drill, the Cowboys ran 8 first down snaps in the third and fourth quarters. Zeke carried the ball six of those eight snaps, for an average of 2.1 yards. Give credit to the giants for effectively shutting him down.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does nobody remember the two touchdown opportunities in game one that neither Beasley nor Bryant could make?

If either one would have, Dallas wins game one.

bigbob

Reaction score
We kinda beat ourselves. It wasn't luck at all. However, I think we played right into their hands.

We played with a conservative offense kept running the ball up the middle, and running those long and winding routes allowing the Giants pass rush to get to Dak.

Hopefully, this year we won't be so predictable. We use a game plan to spread the ball around - and not just focused on Dez.

Coaches played a big part in our losses. Were the better team. But we find ways to lose.
Well you're right reboot but this is why teams win or lose every week it's due to the game plan so the Cowboys game plan just sucked against the Giants that's why I said they need to do something new this year

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never said they were contenders. Im saying they were better than 8-8 if they didnt make so many mistakes. Like the lions game years ago. Weren't we up like 28-0 at half? Something like that. If I had the time I could find a ton of games were they should've won but lost by their own mistakes. Both games to the giants last year they could've won also. Especially the first one.

Like the Superbowl. The pats didn't win it the falcons lost it.

All 8-8 teams are better than 8-8 if they don't make so many mistakes. Avoiding mistakes is what separates good teams from average or bad ones in the NFL. The Cowboys under Garrett have made mistakes at a lower rate than other teams have. Which is why they tend to win more games than other teams do.

You can go through each of those seasons and find games we won by making fewer mistakes as well. That same 2011 season where the Lions came back, we had an OT win in SF (that was the big Holley pass game), we swept the Skins 18-16 and 27-24 (OT), and beat the Dolphins 20-19. And we lost an OT game to the Cardinals that might have made the difference between playoffs or not.

I disagree with you on the Superbowl, too, for the same reasons, fwiw. All teams make mistakes. Good teams make fewer mistakes. Good coaches build good teams. You measure good teams by the games they win. The Cowboys under Garrett win more games and are now doing it at a faster rate than most of the league. There's no getting around it.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
We didn't stop using Zeke in the second half. Rather, the Giants stopped it by limiting Zeke's effectiveness on first down.

Outside of their two minute drill, the Cowboys ran 8 first down snaps in the third and fourth quarters. Zeke carried the ball six of those eight snaps, for an average of 2.1 yards. Give credit to the giants for effectively shutting him down.

Well it seems the run plays were straight up the middle. Nothing fancy and the same old conservative play calling which the Giants could sniff a mile away. I do give create to the Giants defense. However, the playcalling could have been better and most of the play calls ran right into the strength of the Giants.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I said we beat ourselves which is a fair assessment since they beat us by 1 point in the first game and 3 points in the 2nd.

Their didn't was good but not great. We still had our opportunities given to us and we didn't capitalize. The Giants didn't overwhelm or over power us. We just found a way to lose.

Especially in the 2nd game. We missed a field goal and two INTs by Prescott. Bryant also fumbled the ball while we were driving for a score. So yes the Cowboys beat themselves. The Giants are beatable and we are still the team to beat in the NFC East. Not the Giants.

being close and this and that....that's moral victory. we lost....they beat us. fair and square....

in the second game we had opportunities and we missed. but if you look through the game, couldn't the giants say the same thing? that they should have blown us out, but they missed opportunities and they could have won by a larger margin...a dropped pass here, a miss there, very much like us....a football game is full of those. their CBs dominated us in the second half and specially shut down Dez. ....

again. 4th quarter. we are ahead. we get three opportunities on offense and we fail. and on defense we have to have to have to make crucial stop and get the ball back, yet they ran it down our throat. and we knew it was coming and still couldn't stop the run...

sorry. disagree.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
being close and this and that....that's moral victory. we lost....they beat us. fair and square....

in the second game we had opportunities and we missed. but if you look through the game, couldn't the giants say the same thing? that they should have blown us out, but they missed opportunities and they could have won by a larger margin...a dropped pass here, a miss there, very much like us....a football game is full of those. their CBs dominated us in the second half and specially shut down Dez. ....

again. 4th quarter. we are ahead. we get three opportunities on offense and we fail. and on defense we have to have to have to make crucial stop and get the ball back, yet they ran it down our throat. and we knew it was coming and still couldn't stop the run...

sorry. disagree.

You can disagree with me all you want. It doesn't matter.

But what are you are arguing about? I never said that we won. I completely said we lost. So I'm not sure what your point is.

As for the both games, we had our chances and we failed to capitalize on it. Exactly what I've stated also. I've said we could have won both games. Easily. But we were the victim of our own mistakes.

So I'm not sure what your really arguing about here.